Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Not sure if anyone else is having this prob...
I have a brand new 2012 GT. I am finding that it doesn't shift smoothly into first and second gear all the time.
Meaning, the actual gear box isn't smooth - its almost jerky.
When trying to put the car into first or from first to second, its almost like the stick slides into the gear in two stages (half way in, then the rest of the way).
Shouldn't it feel smooth going into gear?
(i'm not talking about the engine gears - I'm talking about the actual gear box).

I don't notice it so much with 3rd-6th. Just 1st and 2nd.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
588 Posts
O man... Use the search.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hey,

Not sure if anyone else is having this prob...
I have a brand new 2012 GT. I am finding that it doesn't shift smoothly into first and second gear all the time.
Meaning, the actual gear box isn't smooth - its almost jerky.
When trying to put the car into first or from first to second, its almost like the stick slides into the gear in two stages (half way in, then the rest of the way).
Shouldn't it feel smooth going into gear?
(i'm not talking about the engine gears - I'm talking about the actual gear box).

I don't notice it so much with 3rd-6th. Just 1st and 2nd.

Any thoughts?
Yes, do a search. There will be about 1000000 posts on this crap manual transmission. Some have problems, some do not. Either way, there is a new member everyday coming on here to report their tranny isn't shifting right.

J

·
0 Posts
O man... Use the search.
Search?! Hell he could just open his EYES and see the 3-4 threads on this sub-forum alone. :kooky:

...but all kiddingaside, I'm sorry that you're (the OP) in the "club" with the rest of us with crappy MT82s. There's a derth of information on the subject. Unfortunately nothing conclusive yet but stay tuned.

J

·
0 Posts
Oh man, this poor guy is probably reading the "official MT82" thread and wigging out right about now.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Oh man, this poor guy is probably reading the "official MT82" thread and wigging out right about now.
HAHAHAHA :cheers

·
0 Posts
It can feel notchy at times because the gears are fairly hefty.
The 2 stage effect is the syncro slowing down the mating gears followed by the gears mating.
There are no doubt cars out there with issues but I think a lot of it is technique. If I'm sloppy with the way I shift I get the notchy effect once in a while. 95% of the time it shifts like butter.
Take it to the dealer and get it checked and documented.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts