Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2011 GT w/Brembo (and other options.. 3.73's, etc).

That was a hard car to find -- however it was lost 2 weeks ago (totaled) and I'm looking for a replacement. I've been having a heck of a time finding "any" brembo car's in California. I think right now there are 2 - both in Northern CA and outside my dealers reach for a trade.

Given how hard it was to find the first time and again now... is it just the brembo option isn't popular and dealers aren't ordering them? would seem after that motortrend article, where it bested or equaled the BMW M3... dealers would be stocking up. Plus, the wheels are great looking and you get P-zero's.. tires a alone run $400 (cheapest I've found). So for 1695.00 MSRP - you get 19" rims, $1600 in tires and brembo brakes, best valued package Ford offers.

Anyhow, it's a pisser and I need to find a car here pretty soon and really want to go back to the brembo/3.73 combo vs say a California Special.

Other option is a Boss. But the problem is the colors are limited unless you get the laguna package - which adds ~$7K to the car (white and red are the only two that don't require the pkg) and I'm looking for black - plus price-wise, you're into the GT500 space.. and the Boss imo isn't worth that (~$47500). Get a GT500 for less or a Vette. Plus, since I lease cars... for whatever reason, the Boss's residual stinks (54% vs 64% for the GT and GT500).

Anyhow, if anyone has any leads on a 2012 Black Brembo in socal, I'd appreciate it. I'm open to other options, but those are the two main ones. I would prefer the 401A rapid spec, but not gonna be picky right now. It's gotten pathetic enough in not finding one to consider switching camps after 20 years of owning mustangs... 2011 Camaro has brembo's, 20" rims (staggered which is nice) and I will admit, better seats... the rest of the interior pales to the mustang... and sync is nice.

thanks,
d

·
Registered
193 Posts
Order the car that you want. I like my Brembo package because of the beautiful 9" wide wheels(the only way available), unique suspension parts, strut tower brace, special ESC program, Great tires and don't forget the awesome brakes. All for $1695. That's the best value car option out there!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Order the car that you want. I like my Brembo package because of the beautiful 9" wide wheels(the only way available), unique suspension parts, strut tower brace, special ESC program, Great tires and don't forget the awesome brakes. All for $1695. That's the best value car option out there!

I've considered it.. the only hesitation is Ford isn't that reliable on build dates... they'll claim 6 weeks, but it tends to be close to 8-10 weeks (even longer in some cases... I ordered a Explorer Limited for my sister a few years back, but it ended up being 12 weeks. Long time to have to drive my backup car (2012 Edge Limited). Not a bad ride, but boring as heck to drive after being in the 2011 GT/brembo... (also had LCA's, Eibach Springs, SCT x3 SF programmer, JBA exhaust and a tri-ax -- the shifter I'll likely switch to MGW this time around, Tri-ax was nice, but the throw was still too long imo). Got most of the parts out but left some - to which allstate compensated me fo).

Anyhow, it's starting to look like I've to suck it up and ode ...and pray it's a 6-7 week build ;

thanks,
d

·
Registered
26 Posts
the brembo package has a special calibration? Wow, perhaps this explains my new 93 octane tune and CAI didnt make a 'huge' difference....that would (now) make sense....

d

·
Registered
193 Posts
the brembo package has a special calibration? Wow, perhaps this explains my new 93 octane tune and CAI didnt make a 'huge' difference....that would (now) make sense....

d
The only calibration difference is in the ESC(electronic stability control). I don't think it would make a diff. with the tune.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Here's another point of view.

I initially wanted the Brembo pkg. Thought it was a 'must have'.

But I began to realize;
-the price of those particular tires (They were $384 @ Tire rack when I checked)
-knew I wanted to run a staggered setup with at least 40mm difference in tread width between front and rear
-the 19x9" wheel (the look of which I absolutely love) also limits tire selection, let alone tread width selection
-there are even better, perhaps much better, brake package options available after market

I opted to simply go with the stock 18" 5 spoke silver rims, and ordered a pair of OE look alikes from American Muscle, only 10" wide, and a pair of the same PZeroNero in a 275. They're on the car now.

I am in a little different position, however. I have to worry about temps less than 40F where I'm at, which will result in me needing a set of wheels/tires for winter temps.

So, I've now got 275s on the rear, 235s on the front.

I still need more, and better, tire. (I'll eventually have a summer set, w/light weight wheels, probably by next spring, and by then will determine if I need more brakes, and if so will order wheels that will fit over the bigger buggers). I know that I'll also want/need them to be a min of 255mm up front and 295 in the rear.

Can't do the rears like I want w/the 19x9" Brembo wheels.

BTW, very curious about the car that was totalled. I assume you're OK? Willing to describe what happened?

Perhaps another option for you on a Brembo equipped car would be to locate one, fly out and drive it back?

·
Registered
942 Posts
W/o meaning to step on your thread, here's how the 275's and AM wheels look. To me, still not quite enough tire.

First couple pics are before the spoiler was installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do you like red?

The Albany, OR Ford dealership has a leftover red GT in stock. A "premium" GT, sticker around 37,000 IIRC. Reading the sticker, I thought it had the right stuff. Spoiler & stripes delete, and the biggie...3:73 Rear end, Brembo brakes. 6 speed.

Roberson Ford. Salesman who sold me my Bullitt is Bill Shaffer.
541-926-5555

To be clear...I'm not affiliated with this dealership or Ford. Reading of the Chinese transmission problems, don't thinki I want a 5.0.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can contact All Star Ford or Robinson Brothers Ford here in Baton Rouge, LA. I know for sure that Robinson Bros. has at least one. I see it everyday when I pass it. I bought mine from All Star Ford. I am almost positive that they have at least one in stock here too. Most of the 5.0's I see around here all seem to have to Brembo Pkg.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
there are even better, perhaps much better, brake package options available after market
not for the price Ford is charging for what you get, yes you will get to customize what you want but you arent spending less than $3000-$4000 by the time you do aftermarket big brake kit with wheels and tires to fit

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought my '12 at the end of April with ONLY the Brembo package at Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park. It seems that they were the only local(to me) dealer to order some this way.
Anyway, they had several others when I bought mine, and today I caught their ad in the Register showing the same car(with back up sensors) on sale. They have 'em priced I wanna say at $31,850.. You can stil negotiate with 'em however. When I got mine they had '11's with the Brembo's on sale for $30,600, and I negotiated my '12 for the same price. FWIW it was $500 'over invoice'. Even though they get incentives on everything they sell + holdback/reserve, unless I'm buying a car/truck that nobody else wants, I find it fair to give 'em $500 'over'

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought my '12 at the end of April with ONLY the Brembo package at Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park. It seems that they were the only local(to me) dealer to order some this way.
Anyway, they had several others when I bought mine, and today I caught their ad in the Register showing the same car(with back up sensors) on sale. They have 'em priced I wanna say at $31,850.. You can stil negotiate with 'em however. When I got mine they had '11's with the Brembo's on sale for $30,600, and I negotiated my '12 for the same price. FWIW it was $500 'over invoice'. Even though they get incentives on everything they sell + holdback/reserve, unless I'm buying a car/truck that nobody else wants, I find it fair to give 'em $500 'over'
That's for the heads up, I'll give Grody a call.

Right now the dealer I work with looks like they'll be able to put in a priority 6 build.. so 4-6 weeks. Going with basically the same car again,j just 2012. Brembo, 401A rapid spec (wish they offered the California Special interior - all black vs. the silver accents), 3.73's, and back-up camera (didn't have this last time). No comfort package, since on occasion I need to take the baby in the mustang vs the family cars - and power passenger seats are a pita, vs just sliding it forward in quick pull. Nor do I need heated seats.

The one option that would make the brembo perfect, as i love the wheels, is offer 19x10's in the rear to toss some 285's - 9" width is good for maybe 275's, but that's pushing it.

Still kicking around the idea of a 2011 Corvette however. They have some wicked deals on them right now from a leasing prespective.

-d

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Given the wait for either the 2012/Brembo order or the 45th anniv. Camaro (which looks pretty amazing, has brembo's, 20" rims with bigger tires, backup cam standard and FE4 suspension upgrades, going to be a coin tosser. I did as mentioned get a build priority #6 on the GT/brembo, but the 45th anniv. camaro comes with quite a bit stock (as mentioned brembo's, backup cam, wider rims/tires, full interior upgrade and 10x better seats.... the seats have always been ford's shortcoming)... going to be a coin toss. 2011 Vette was an option but it really has too little cargo space for anything... gym bags, etc, but the best handling car I've driven -and owned over 20 cars.

so we'll see.... difficult choice to change camps after 20 years of mustangs, but....

-d

1 - 20 of 24 Posts