Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off let me being by stating that I'm not really here to ask any questions. I'm mostly here to just complain about the problems I've had with my car. I've had a couple of problems with my 2012 mustang and the most recent trip to the dealership for warranty service has left me a bit pissed.

Like many people on this board, I've had the issue with the front control arms squeaking. Not once, not twice, not three times, but four times. The first two times they replaced the control arms under warranty. On the third visit, after the dealership having my car for two days, they told me they were unable to replicate the issue. I proceeded to pick up my car and start driving home. 15 minutes later when going over a speed bump, low and behold "squeak". Not wanting to lose the use of my car for another few days I just dealt with it.

Fast forward to earlier this week. I decided to go ahead and take my car in for warranty service again to handle the moaning suspension, as well as the issue with the paint on the hood starting to bubble, that other users on here have experienced as well. I also had them look at the coolant system, because occasionally it would smell like radiator coolant.

Two days after I dropped it off, the suspension work was done, and they found a small leak in the water pump. Suspension replaced 3x and a water pump replaced, not bad for a car that only has 31k miles on it (sarcasm). At this point they were going to repaint the hood under warranty due to the bubbling paint. I was told that it was going to take 2-3 days to do as they would have to remove the hood, strip the paint, re-prime it and then re-paint it. Fine, understandable.

Fast forward to today, I picked up the car and started to head back to work. I didn't take a look at the quality of the work while I was there as I was in a rush to get back to the office for a meeting I had (I really should have looked at it). The very first thing I noticed once I sat in my car was a nice imprint on the leather in my passenger seat, where it looks like something heavy and with sharp corners was sitting. A minor irritation, but hopefully it's something that will resolve itself when it sits in the sun.

On the way home, I noticed that there was overspray on the black plastic area near where the windshield wiper fluid comes out. Hmmmm I thought to myself. If the hood was removed to be painted, that shouldn't be there. I continued driving down the road, now a little concerned. As the sun was starting to set, I could see reflections of the surrounding area off the hood, which prompted me to notice what looked to be imperfections in the paint. Now I was starting to get a bit irritated.

Once I got to the office I took a detailed look at the hood, and I was not pleased with what I found. Firstly, there are multiple spots where it appears that some debris of some sort was painted over and has lead to small bumps in the paint. In addition, there are pieces of dirt suspended in the paint/clear coat which are visible as specs.

There are also what looks to be scuff marks, almost like someone ran something across the paint while it was still wet. This made me even more irritated, because when I dropped the car off, the biggest issue was a 1/4" area on the front lip of the hood where some of the paint was starting to bubble from underneath, and a few small chips from rocks. Now there are scuff marks, paint bubbles, and dirt suspended in the paint.

To top it all off, the bottom of the hood wasn't even worked on, there is still bubbled paint there and an area where the paint has basically rubbed off and oxidation is showing. I was told they were going to be stripping the paint off the hood and repainting it, but I'm not so sure that's what happened. So basically, in my opinion the hood is coming back looking worse than it did when I dropped it off. I'm planning on going to the dealership tomorrow to complain about it and get it re-done, but I wanted to come here and get my frustration out of my system.

I've also had issues where I was driving down the street at 45 mph and my throttle response totally stops and the red wrench icon comes on. Not particularly safe while you are driving in the middle of traffic and you lose throttle. I've read the manual and I'm aware that happens when the ecu detects an issue with the engine/throttle and it does it to protect the engine and an error should be logged to the ecu. My problem is, that I had that looked at and no errors were ever logged to the ECU (faulty ecu perhaps?).

Honestly after only 31k miles, and the inconveniences I've had, I'm not so sure of the long term quality of this vehicle. It upsets me because my favorite car is the mustang and I had always wanted one since I was younger, so once the throw back design came out I jumped at the opportunity to buy one when the time was right. At this point, I'm ready to just trade it in and be done with it.

Am I crazy to be irritated as hell with this?

Below are some images showing what I was talking about with the paint.

Indentations in Leather, probably not a big deal, hopefully sitting in sun will resolve it:

Oxidation spot under the lip of the hood. This was the part that was bubbled up and starting around onto the top of the hood. Notice how dirty the underside of the hood is, it clearly wasn't repainted:

More bubbling paint under the lip of the hood near the outside. This is after it was repainted. Obviously bottom of the hood wasn't fixed:

Hard to see, but that's a spec of dirt that's embedded in the paint. First thing I tried to do when I got home was clay bar it. Didn't help:

This one is really hard to see in this picture, but the white spot to the right is actually a bubble in the paint. It looks like there may have been some debris on the hood that was painted over and is now stuck under the coat of paint. There are quite a few other places like this now on the hood.

Scuff marks that look like someone rubbed something on the paint while it was still wet:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Looks like a real bucher job. I wouldn't take it back to that dealer. Check the experience level the body shop has. The dealer I go to has over 25 years experienced painters and body technicians. Good paintwork is hard to find. I hope you get things resolved.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles man. Unfortunately I've had similar experiences during my trips to the dealership. As ****** as it is, I've learned to accept that they will probably destroy my car a little bit more every time they work on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry, im so fed up with dealerships doing substandard jobs and ford. Ford decides in making a substandard part and then continuing to use it for 4 years after they knew in 2011 that there was TSB issues with the bushing. My 14 has the same problem with the bushings/control arms. The dealerships... dont even get me started on dealerships. I had to have the front end repainted on my 07 mustang and there we spots all over it plus they told me they would restripe the front end just like the rest of the car. they had a company come in that cut the stripes on the new paint with an exacto knife and then they werent even. I told them to redo them so when they pulled off the stripe set they took the paint with them... I really dont think we are asking to much to have them do a quality job!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
damn man, sorry to hear all these issues, really unacceptable. my hood had the corrosion issue and they replaced it all together

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have about 5k left on my bumper to bumper warranty, so I may end up trying another dealership before that runs out to try to get the hood re-done or replaced.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Sounds like Deysha should get involved.

F

·
0 Posts
First off let me being by stating that I'm not really here to ask any questions. I'm mostly here to just complain about the problems I've had with my car. I've had a couple of problems with my 2012 mustang and the most recent trip to the dealership for warranty service has left me a bit pissed. ...
Hello Demonhawk,

I’d like to get this experience documented for you and escalated if needed. Please PM me back with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Sounds like Deysha should get involved.
Thank you for the mention, RoboStang!

Deysha

·
Registered
808 Posts
Dear God, please don't let me have to take my car to the dealer.....ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts