Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I want to try Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and I went to purchase 5-20 but walmart was all out and my buddy said 5-30 will be just as fine. Can anyone of you chime in?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Guys,

I want to try Mobile 1 Synthetic oil and I went to purchase 5-20 but walmart was all out and my buddy said 5-30 will be just as fine. Can anyone of you chime in?
You risk a denied warranty claim any time you vary from the recommended service, including the grade of oil. The odds of having an engine failure of that nature, however, are extremely slim so it's a judgement call whether you're willing to take a chance.

That said, I went through the same thing with my 2004 Acura TL. I switched to Mobil One at my first oil change and have been using it since. I could not find 5W-20 either and have been using 5W30 with no problems whatsoever.

I have a Mustang on order (my first!) and will probably do the same for it should the V8 call for 5W-20, this way I only have to keep a stock of one grade of Mobil One.

My only warning is to absolutely stick with the 5W-20 if you're in an exceptionally cold climate. Here on Long Island, NY our cold weather extremes are nowhere near what some midwest and northern states see.

Edit: I see you're in Brooklyn so I think you can ignore the climate warning, but you still have to make the call whether you're willing to risk warranty issues down the road.

Good luck!

LH

·
Registered
19 Posts
I made a little research on synthetic oils. A subject matter expert in oils business told me that you can safely change the first number but highly recommends not change the second one, so 5-20 or 0-20 SAE.
I have been using AMS Oil (5-20) for the last 3 years (49K miles) without a problem. I upgraded the camshafts (compcams stage 2) and let me tell you the inside the engine was clean clean clean…

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts