Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a race red v6 with the performance package about five weeks ago. The tires on it are Pirelli's and are summer only. I would like to have all weather tires on it, though. What is my best course of action? Should I try to sell to an individual (where would I find someone who wanted these tires?), or to a tire shop? I want to be able to drive the car in the winter time, and when it rains. I should be able to get a fair price for them since they will have hardly any miles on it when the car gets to the dealer, right?

Also, has anyone had any luck finding good AW tires at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your advice!!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Did you drive a Performance Package car before ordering? The suspension gives up a significant amount of comfort in able to exploit those tires. I'm just asking because it seems odd to buy a Performance Package car and NOT want to run performance tires as weather permits.

The tire selection isn't as big with the 19" wheels but there are several all season tires and several summer performance tires that are much cheaper than the factory tires. Check out TireRack.com for reviews and prices.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I'd suggest to do what I did and get a winter set of wheels and tires. 2 big reasons:
1. You get a full size spare tire.
2. You will love summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter.

Also, if you manage to get winter curb rash, it's not on the pretty PP wheels.

I picked up a slightly used set of wheels + winter tires for $600.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Check out Tire Rack's comparisons of Winter Tires to other modes and you will consider doing the two set plan utilizing winter tires for Missouri.
Figure you will probably go through a couple of sets of tires eventually, so why not get the season specialized ones, together with the spare tire bonus?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
My car is race red. And I have the Pony Package with the stock tires. I think the Pony package tires are all season but are Perelli's . I havent had a problem driving in the rain. And personally, i like the wheels on the Pony Package better than the ones on the Performance Package. But heaven forbid, i am not going to drive my baby in snow or salt. Thats what winter beaters are for. :nono:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
You won't have any problem in rain, temps that stay below 40 degrees for more than a few hours are the problem.

As has been suggested, best bet is to get a spare set of wheels and tires for the winter.

You don't even have to run the original size wheels and tires for winter, you could pick up a set of base 17" wheel to mount winter tires on.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I sold my stock 18" GT wheels/tires/TPMS for 600$ with about 500 miles on them. I would say to look for a set like that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
As per prescribed before, get a separate set of tires and wheels for the winter.

The P-Zeros are a good summer only tire that will let you push the vehicle on the street. Being 19" tires, it may be a little difficult finding a crowd to buy the tire. Regardless, as a race tire, these do OK, but tend to get a little bit greasy with a lot of heat in them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The stock 18 GT rim and tire size will give you roughly the same rolling diameter as our perf pack rim/tire combo so it won't throw off your speedo by anything noticeable - it's like-.03% slower. Plus you'll find more selection of winter tires in the 18". Save your PPs for summer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Another vote for summer/winter setup. Just picked up a used/like new set of stocker 17's for $300 shipped off ebay, probably going to put some hankooks on them for winter since they worked so great on my 96.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Another vote for summer/winter setup. Just picked up a used/like new set of stocker 17's for $300 shipped off ebay, probably going to put some hankooks on them for winter since they worked so great on my 96.
I've heard of people having fitment issues on the PPs when using the stock 17s. Can you confimr if you've had these issues?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I cannot yet. Wheels just arrived and they wont be seeing rubber until closer to winter. I have a hard time understanding how there could be fitment issues, though, since the suspension components are basically the same- but I suppose we'll see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.