Ford Mustang Forum banner

2012 V6 Auto, Throttle lag/delay

12K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ThunderBun 
#1 ·
Good afternoon! Not for me unfortunately, i have my 2012 V6 auto down at the dealership awaiting them to replace a control arm :weeps. But one thing that i have been questioning and passing off as either a factory thing or a new car thing, is a delay in my throttle response when attempting to give it some good acceleration or flooring it to WOT. Theres some serious delay there, by about 2 seconds or so before she makes her move. I dont know if this is just a "thing" or if its an issue. Is anyone else experiencing this and should i bring it up with my dealership?

Another downside to yesterday when i brought the car in and today, is ii finally have my Airaid CAI but no car to install it on untill saturday afternoon :c

*Edit* WOT in a safe environment BTW :shiny:

#2 ·
The throttle lag plagues every 2011+ Mustang. I read somewhere that it was apparently a safety feature that Ford used, which may or may not be correct. Either way the only way to get rid of it is a tune, which for an automatic would be night and day difference.

#3 ·
first off sorry to hear about your control arm..upgrade them:bigthumbsup

second the delay is normal esp for auto owners and you will find if you take off traction control & advance tcs the delay is slightly better. To make a real difference I recommend a tuner:D..nothing to worry about tho!

#6 ·
Yes. No. Maybe. :bigthumbsup

#7 ·
I had the same problem, it really sucked driving cause i couldn't get up and go. I would put my foot down, wait like 2/3 seconds and then i would get some response but by that time its too late :|

I just traded in my 2012 v6 auto for a 2013 v6 manual, and the difference is night and day. i cant even drive stick but im learning and its driving alot better. :gringreen

The bama tunes do help a bit but the lag still exists ... its just something u get with driving an auto.

#8 ·
I just traded in my 2012 v6 auto for a 2013 v6 manual, and the difference is night and day. i cant even drive stick but im learning and its driving alot better. :gringreen
That's pretty awesome that you just went ahead and bought a manual without even knowing how to drive it. :worship

G
#9 ·
Good afternoon! Not for me unfortunately, i have my 2012 V6 auto down at the dealership awaiting them to replace a control arm :weeps. But one thing that i have been questioning and passing off as either a factory thing or a new car thing, is a delay in my throttle response when attempting to give it some good acceleration or flooring it to WOT. Theres some serious delay there, by about 2 seconds or so before she makes her move. I dont know if this is just a "thing" or if its an issue. Is anyone else experiencing this and should i bring it up with my dealership?
Wow, thats a damn shame... but i figured that might have been the case. Ive been considering a tune, but would that void my factory warranty?
Hello Tigs51,

I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area to help get it resolved. If you'd like, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha

#10 ·
I had the same 2 second lag with my auto, do a search because someone detailed how to do an accelerator reset and after I did that the lag was gone... no more lag, feels like a different car.

this it it I think, it worked perfectly for my car.. try this.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...4528-throttle-reset-procedure-anyone-try.html

I didn't want to do a tune while I was in warranty and after this procedure it works fine.

#12 ·
+1 on disconnecting the battery and re-doing the Adaptive transmission strategy.

Maybe I have the one car without lag. I dont think so though. It didnt take long for my computer to learn my driving habits after buying it.....:laugh:

Long story short, I have some lag but that is expected from an Auto, but not nearly as bad as the countless threads on here for both the v6's and v8's about how bad it is.

#13 ·
ECU needs time to learn your drive style.

I have the auto with no tune.

It knows its getting beat on as soon as i press the unlock button:laugh:

But seriously, drive it a little, and change fuel to see which brand (not octane) your car responds to best.

When i go WOT on mine it will downshift right away, from 6th gear cruising i will smash my foot against the throttle and it will engage 3d gear right away, no delay, just aggressive acceleration.

EDIT: these guys are right. ive done this before as well.

disconnect negative terminal on battery, wait 15 minutes, reconnect, do WOT runs. problem solved.

#15 ·
Good to hear you're getting the hang of it and really enjoying it.

#16 ·
I actually just installed an Airaid intake this weekend, i ended up having the battery terminal disconected for about an hour :hihi:. Ive only noticed slight differences but i will surely have to try this throttle reset today, hopefully it may relieve this issue a little bit.

#18 ·
My car has the same lag issue. I like my car but I hate the adaptive learning part of the trans.
I normally drive legally, but when I want to go, I want it to go now. This is the only auto trans I've ever driven that does this.
I don't consider this a safety feature. I came very, very close to being crushed between a big rig that moved into my lane because he didn't see me, and a concrete wall. I stomped the gas when I saw him moving over and the trans hesitated for 2 or 3 seconds. Fortunately, he saw me at the last moment and there was no accident. Wow, scary!
The advice that others have given do help, but still doesn't completely fix it, and it always comes back.
I bought a tuner just to fix this issue and it really worked great for a while. However the trans still relearned my driving habits. Bummer.
At least the tips others have given still help, and reloading the tune fixes it completely for a while.

#19 ·
What tune are you running? Maybe go with a more aggressive tune..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.