Ford Mustang Forum banner

2012 V6 Halogen bulb replacement... help

15K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Stang_12 
#1 ·
This is my first post here and I feel like a n00b for having to ask. This is my first Mustang and it's only two weeks old. I picked up some Slyvania Silverstar Ultra 9008 H13 halogen bulbs. After coming back from a trip to Arizona, I wanted something a little brighter at night. Grabbed my users manual and it seemed straight forward.

Replacing headlamp bulbs
To remove the headlamp bulb:
1. Make sure headlamp switch is in the off position, then open the hood.
2. Disconnect the electrical
connector from the bulb by
depressing the retainer clip and
pulling rearward.
3. Remove the bulb by rotating it
counterclockwise and pulling it
straight out.

Problem is, there is no electrical connector on the halogen bulb, not in the style that I am used to seeing. There is one on the turn signal bulb which I originally removed because I wasn't paying attention.

Here is a picture of the unit. It has a plastic hex screw at the top but no visible clips or way to remove the bulb within. Spinning the hex screw counter clockwise just seems to rotate the bulb. I don't want to break anything so I figured I'd ask if I'm missing something really stupid.

See less See more
#2 ·
The headlight bulb is closer to the outside of the car (nearly jammed against the fender), you can just see the edge of the round gasket around the bulb in your picture.

#4 ·
This is my first post here and I feel like a n00b for having to ask. This is my first Mustang and it's only two weeks old. I picked up some Slyvania Silverstar Ultra 9008 H13 halogen bulbs. After coming back from a trip to Arizona, I wanted something a little brighter at night. Grabbed my users manual and it seemed straight forward.

Replacing headlamp bulbs
To remove the headlamp bulb:
1. Make sure headlamp switch is in the off position, then open the hood.
2. Disconnect the electrical
connector from the bulb by
depressing the retainer clip and
pulling rearward.
3. Remove the bulb by rotating it
counterclockwise and pulling it
straight out.

Problem is, there is no electrical connector on the halogen bulb, not in the style that I am used to seeing. There is one on the turn signal bulb which I originally removed because I wasn't paying attention.

Here is a picture of the unit. It has a plastic hex screw at the top but no visible clips or way to remove the bulb within. Spinning the hex screw counter clockwise just seems to rotate the bulb. I don't want to break anything so I figured I'd ask if I'm missing something really stupid.
I complained in this site about poor halogen lighting output in my 2011 V6 Vert and got harshly told I was wrong by Mustang advocates. I pursued every avenue I could to repace a horrible headlamp design with something that wouldn't be incompatible in the long term. Took the car to different dealerships, shops that specialize in lighting, and talked with other dissatisfied Ford customers that have the same issues. Bottom line, I am still stuck with the worst lighting I've experienced in over 40 years of driving.

Yep, in my opinion Ford goes out of their way to utilize substandard parts in at least their Mustang's. Other exampes are cheap and weak plastics used in the exterior quarter panels and heated seats. Good luck in your pursuit.

#5 ·
Bottom line, I am still stuck with the worst lighting I've experienced in over 40 years of driving.
Really? ever try driving a full size service van at night? now that is bordering on pitiful lighting.

Have you considered going HID/projector? I know not the cheapest route, but you could go aftermarket and buy the parts for $500-600.

#6 ·
Despite multiple suggestions (in other threads) for how he could improve his lighting, he won't even pick up a wrench to adjust the headlight aiming or even try brighter halogen bulbs. The excuse is that he shouldn't have to do any of those things because the lighting should satisfy his needs the way it came. So instead of trying anything to actually fix the problem, he suffers (not in silence) with the lights as they are. There's no chance he would install HID or even halogen projectors - both have been suggested.

#7 ·
Thank you OP for bringing this up. I too have similar doubts - self-confessed DIY-challenged noob here lol.

Did you have to remove the air intake assembly on the driver's side?

I have my 2012 V6 Coupe for about 2 weeks too and I'm also contemplating halogen bulb upgrade (looking at PIAAs actually).

The factory candlesticks really are subpar. My 1999 civic beater emits better light output.

#8 ·
There is a section on headlight adjustment in your Manual also. If you have turned the blue hex head screw in your picture, around and around, you may want to check the adjustment as this is the way the bulb is adjusted up and down......I have found, even with the Silverstars a slight adjustment up really helps the night distance illumination......Plum

#9 ·
I wonder if adjusting the headlights for some might be a big help.. mine are not locomotive bright but they seem fine, way better than my GM pick up which in some situations don't even look like they're on. but then again, it might be what each of us are comparing them to.

#11 ·
Totally not helping the OP here but I've been nothing but impressed with the halogens on my '12. Blows the headlamps on almost all my previous cars out of the water. Yeah, there is room for improvement but for base model headlights on a pony car they are VERY adequate.

#15 ·
I think his point is that you stubbornly contiune to use this 'dangerous' setup and complain about it instead of just buying some new bulbs and being done with it.

But hey, if you want to spend the next 2+ years unable to see while driving at night, thats your business. Hope your life insurance is in order.

#18 ·
I think his point is that you stubbornly contiune to use this 'dangerous' setup and complain about it instead of just buying some new bulbs and being done with it.

But hey, if you want to spend the next 2+ years unable to see while driving at night, thats your business. Hope your life insurance is in order.
My point is we AS NEW OWNER'S SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REPLACE any FMC POOR DESIGN no sooner than a new Mustang is driven off the sales lot. Also, rather pathetic we even have to discuss making wrench adjustments or replacing production line halogens. Also, makes me (and others) wonder how many more cheap parts we have to replace because of FMC cutting corners. I can think of a few and all this is a first for me in over 45 yrs driving.

I surmise you are one of us that think the production line halogens are terrible. Look out, you will get insulted. LOL

Yes, I have good insurance but don't want to risk my safe driver discount. Therefore, I don't drive my Mustang at night. Instead, I drive my wife's (#1 car) or my car of choice (aka #2).

#16 ·
I didn't have to take anything off to get to the halogen bulbs. It's a little tight but I was able to get my hand in there to remove them. I've got decent sized hands, so unless you have Andre The Giant hands you should be good to go.

B-Unit, thanks for mentioning that. With a decent amount of force I got one bulb in without realizing the gasket was still there. When I removed the second bulb the gasket popped off and I freaked out. After looking at the replacement bulbs I realized the gasket needed to come off and it was so much easier to get the new bulb in. Replacements had a new gasket.

I had indeed messed up the driver side vertical position of the headlamp. There's a big wall in my cul-de-sac which I used to bring the lamp back into alignment with the one I didn't mess with. I may raise them a tad when my Airaid CAI gets here.

I do see a noticeable difference with the new bulbs. They are brighter and more white than yellow. They will work for now, but down the road I will probably do a HID conversion.

#19 ·
It is not my intention to be insulting about your feeling that your headlights aren't good enough for you. That's a legitimate concern that should be addressed. My frustration comes from your appparent unwillingness to actually do anything about it. You're rright - we shouldn't have to update or fix a brand new car. But being practical, sometimes it's necessary. It is not unusual for owners to completely replace a stock audio system in a new car because it doesn't meet their requirements.

Adjusting headlights without measuring is akin to adjusting wheel alignment by just turning the tie rod sleeves a couple of turns without measuring - not a smart thing to do (hence "stupid").

And no, I'm not a teenager. I'm in my mid 50s and I worked for more than 20 years in the automotive business (I started at an American Motors dealer many many years ago).

#20 ·
Has anyone tried a headlight relay harness yet? The wiring to the headlights is VERY thin. I know because I installed a flashtopass module and had to cut the wires to install it. I KNOW there has to be a voltage drop on those wires. I have seen the plug and play relay harness, I just want to know if it improves the situation.

#24 ·
Nah...we're just driving faster than our halogens :grinroll:

#25 ·
Stangfacts...I understand your frustrations but its human nature to not ever be satisfied. That's why we have such a healthy aftermarket industry. I'm from the bimmer forums and I can't tell you how many threads/posts there are dedicated to headlights mods/upgrades.

#27 ·
Ok did the swap yesterday.

I put in a pair of PIAA H13 XTREME White Plus 65/55W -> 85/75W. The color temperature is 4000K. Paid $74 shipped from fleabay.

Thanks to all the tips. It was a tight squeeze for my fat hands but I managed to pull it off without taking anything apart. Good tip on the gaskets. It was a really easy swap, took this DIY challenged person not more than 5 minutes each side (and that's with figuring out how to squeeze in my hand to get to the bulb) :gringreen

Anyways, the color is much better than the stock murky yellow. But more importantly, the beam pattern is significantly wider than stock which is a more appreciable benefit for me especially on darker roads. I can honestly say night time driving is more comfortable with the PIAAs than stock.

In terms of aesthetics, despite the 4000k color, they still look like stock halogens output so those clamoring for the HID look on the easy are best served with actual HID retrofit kits.

#30 ·
I replaced my stock bulbs w/ the Silverstar ultra's this weekend. I noticed an immediate improvement. I can't quantify it but it's there.

Only took a moment, it was hard to get my hands in there but that's it. For 35 bucks including the rebate from Poop Boys, why not?

#31 ·
I replaced mine recently too due to being used to my HIDs on my old fusion and i couldnt stand the yellow tint. I got a great deal from Buyheadlightbulbs.com $31 for a pair of Nokya Arctic White (used the brand many times before) They have a slight blue tint when off but pure white when on.

They even include a heavy duty h13 harness for free, If you have upgraded be sure to purchase these too. Aftermarket halogen bulbs can create additional heat that can damage your factory headlight bulb harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.