Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Base Model Mustang V6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

This is my very first post in this forum, but have come here a lot over the years for troubleshooting my mustang's issues as well to get new ideas on fun projects for my 2012 V6. The issue that I am having trouble finding an answer for is a leak that I have been having from the engine bay and I finally took time to troubleshoot it and found the leak - but I don't know what the specific hose is that I need to get.

I have attached a picture to show which one it is, but I can't really find which hose it is online so I can find a replacement. I am hoping it is one that I can change out myself, but it is a hard line hose and seems tucked towards the passenger side in the very front under the headlight so I'm guessing it runs into the radiator somewhere. If anyone could shed some light on what the specific name of this hose is or chime in on the difficulty of swapping it - I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you guys and I look forward to seeing ya'll around in the forums.
7581911F-817D-42E5-BB17-1D3544D5561D.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,257 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your Account Settings.
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update:

I isolated the leak down to the fitting where the first picture is. I have another picture below that actually shows the leak. I wiped the fitting and the metal itself seems to be cracked enough for the fluid to escape. If anyone knows what this specific fitting/hose is - that would be all I need to get it all replaced.

Thank you!

mustang leak pic.png

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
What is the fluid leaking from it? Is it red or clear? If it's red then it's an auto trans line. If it's clear then I would assume that it's an a/c line with compressor oil leaking from it but then you would almost certainly be out of or low on refrigerant too and have a non working a/c system. Trace where the lines go and post back what you find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the fluid leaking from it? Is it red or clear? If it's red then it's an auto trans line. If it's clear then I would assume that it's an a/c line with compressor oil leaking from it but then you would almost certainly be out of or low on refrigerant too and have a non working a/c system. Trace where the lines go and post back what you find.
I did a double take of the color on the connector - and it matches my coolant color which is orange. It doesn't appear to be a part of the coolant system - one of my buddies looked and said it may be a part of the heater core piping. I just can't seem to find a schematic of the heater core layout. It travels from the passenger side under the bumper all the way to the rear of the block from what I saw yesterday. I am unsure if that helps to narrow it down any. I'm still doing some research on my end and if I end up finding the solution i'll ensure to post what it is because this leak is tedious to troubleshoot in the way of finding the replacement part's name.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It's an auto so it's almost definitely a trans cooler line. It will go from the side of the trans, not the block, to the bottom of the radiator or a separate small cooler that looks like a mini radiator. I could be wrong but I don't know of any heater/radiator coolant line that would go to the front of the car.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Here is a picture of the parts for the transmission cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a picture of the parts for the transmission cooler.

View attachment 780269
That was exactly what I needed. It is that part labeled 2. Already went to Ford and got it ordered and it should be in Thursday. I appreciate everyone’s help with assisting me in narrowing down this issue and part. I’ll hopefully get around to the swap this weekend and i’ll throw in a bit about the process here should anyone need to reference it later.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
How many miles are on the car? If it's about 50k or more it's a good time to do a trans fluid and filter change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many miles are on the car? If it's about 50k or more it's a good time to do a trans fluid and filter change.
From what I can tell - I’m probably going to have to do quite a bit of maintenance with the job. It seems these lines require removal of the radiator to access, so if I can’t circumvent that - it’s a transmission fluid/filter change, coolant flush, and line repair all in one. A well spent Saturday in my book 😁

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It's good maintenance anyway. The leak might not be such a bad thing after all if it makes you drop and change fluids. At 110k it's due.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey ya'll,

I'm in the process of getting underway with fixing the issue at hand. Given the labor that is involved - I have to drop the radiator in order to get the lines swapped since the oil cooler sits right at the front of the radiator and those hoses are impossible to remove without going through that process. As a result, I am going to have to buy a couple extra tools that are needed in order to facilitate all of this. I also figured it made sense to knock out a couple maintenance items in one go so I'm doing a coolant flush/refill and the transmission fluid to keep her healthy going into the summer. I am posting a couple of videos that I am using in order to handle this task and I figured they'd be helpful for anyone else that might have to go down this road.

For how to do the quick disconnect - requires a special tool and regular fuel/ac line disconnects can't get the job done. Learned that the hard way and will hopefully be able to find this particular tool at an auto store or Harbor Freight. The tool is in the description of the video so you know what it looks like. It isn't expensive from what I can tell.

Goes into the specific part itself. If you go to ford - they'll pull the specific part number for your year if you get them in the general direction. With a military discount - it still ran me just over $103.00, so it isn't the cheapest part to get but not too bad.

For the radiator removal. This is a 2014 mustang but the steps are pretty identical for the 2012 as well. Don't be afraid to remove parts for room. It's worth it to make the radiator pull easier.

Transmission fluid change steps. This video isn't all inclusive as far as details go with the procedure for filling and whatnot, but gives an idea of how to go through the change and some best practices to minimize the mess..

Supplement for the Transmission fluid change. Exact procedure from a ford tech manual.
Ford Workshop Service & Repair Manuals - fordrepair.info - 2011 Mustang Automatic Transaxletransmission - 6r80 Transmission fluid drain and refill

I'm hoping to have the majority of this done today. I've done the process for the radiator flush already and might do another round of distilled water one more time and lower the vehicle to really ensure I am getting the system cleaned and taken care of before I begin refilling with fresh coolant. I am hoping that this post will help anyone who has to undergo the trouble and save the headache of all the diagnosing and trial and error that I've run into. After I rip everything out I'm going to do a thorough cleaning of the engine bay as well so I don't have the dirty, grimy look anymore when I pop the hood. After this I'll have the leak eliminated and a happier, cooler engine and smoother transmission at the end of it all. It's a headache but well worth the effort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts