Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have been reading about problems with 2011/2012 Transmissions. Now most of the people I see with the problems have 2011's. Is there a different transmission in the 12's? or is this problem still out there? If it is still the same transmission, does anyone know if the 2013's will have a new transmission?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only transmission problems have occurred with the MT-82, the manual transmission, and am equally sure that the '11 and '12 platforms share the same transmissions. I've had no problems with my automatic and I don't think anyone else has either, besides it being a bit sluggish out of the factory.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have heard problems in the 2012 boss standard tranny as well so im guessing it passed on to the 2012 . No problems for the auto's YAAY :yelpleased:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I do plan on buying a Manual, I could not imagine driving a automatic Mustang, (it was a stretch to get a v6, but the new 300+ HP is more then I need). I am just concerned that a car that has gotten such high praise would let a less then acceptable transmission ruin the whole experience.

Although it does just seems to be a very small group of people really having true problems, it seems like a lot of people have definitely had little issues and annoying quirks with this manual transmission.

Is it worth waiting for next years to see if this problem is fixed?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Well I do plan on buying a Manual, I could not imagine driving a automatic Mustang, (it was a stretch to get a v6, but the new 300+ HP is more then I need). I am just concerned that a car that has gotten such high praise would let a less then acceptable transmission ruin the whole experience.

Although it does just seems to be a very small group of people really having true problems, it seems like a lot of people have definitely had little issues and annoying quirks with this manual transmission.

Is it worth waiting for next years to see if this problem is fixed?
Other than a rough grind shifting into 5th gear last night (which was more my fault for lazy shifting than the cars fault lol), I've had no Transmission issues what so ever, and as I've stated before... so far I'm actually a big fan of this cars tranny.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got a 2012 V6 about a month ago and I haven't had any problems. Has a better transmission than my old 07 Civic Si had. If you check the thread containing Ford's response to the NHTSA investigation you will see there's been several changes made to the transmission since the 2011 model debuted which resolves most of the problems.

I don't even have the new Ford fluid in my transmission and I can shift just fine in the 18 degree weather today.

·
Registered
197 Posts
After 14 months no issues with my auto trans.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't remember seeing anyone reporting trouble with a 2012 model year MT82. The July and beyond build dates were officially build 2 for the model year and I did hear there were some "corrections" made in several areas for that build. All of the known issues that were present in the 2011 cars seem to have been addressed. Other than a slighly bothersome intermittent rattle on the passenger side (which I can get rid of by putting the top down and turning up the stereo) I have had no problems with my Trans, engine tapping or squeaking suspension. None of the often complained of items from the earlier cars. :bigthumbsup I actually really like this trans, especially after adding the Barton parts!

F

·
0 Posts
Hey Guys,
I have been reading about problems with 2011/2012 Transmissions. Now most of the people I see with the problems have 2011's. Is there a different transmission in the 12's? or is this problem still out there? If it is still the same transmission, does anyone know if the 2013's will have a new transmission?
Hey rsf507,

Welcome to the forum! I say, get one and enjoy it!!:gringreen If you order one, let me know so I can track it for you. Just PM me with your dealer’s name and order number. Have a happy New Years!

Deysha

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys, but the deal fell through....all over $400. The dealership tried to lowball me big time on my trade in....O well, guess I'll enjoy my civic SI for a while longer. Enjoy your Stangs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Go to a different dealer. Make them sell the car to you. I actaully got my car for less than I went in for. Look for something on the car that you want and it doesn't have, you can get money taken off the price, etc.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the current dealer calls you back. If you stopped the sale, they usually will try to sell it to you later on in the day or the next day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, but the deal fell through....all over $400. The dealership tried to lowball me big time on my trade in....O well, guess I'll enjoy my civic SI for a while longer. Enjoy your Stangs.
Funny you should say that because I actually traded in my old Civic Si for my Mustang as well! Hope you can find another place that will give you a good deal.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Idk if it matters now but my 2011 build date june 2010 hasn't had a single problem..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys. I ended up ordering a new one from the factory, which let me put the $1000 i had put aside for snow tires towards the down-payment (since hopefully when it arrives there will be no snow...) and got the car I wanted at the price I wanted. Now all I have to do is figure out how to control my excitement till I get it

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks Guys. I ended up ordering a new one from the factory, which let me put the $1000 i had put aside for snow tires towards the down-payment (since hopefully when it arrives there will be no snow...) and got the car I wanted at the price I wanted. Now all I have to do is figure out how to control my excitement till I get it
Nice!! Make sure you get some practice with RWD first before trying anything funky. Took me a little while to switch my mindset from the FWD in my Si to RWD on the Mustang. Once you get the hang of it it's sooo much better though.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
RSF, I also ordered mine kudos to Ford for letting us do that, expect a wait, try to get an internet coupon. When you get it be aware of the tight shift gates It takes awareness to get it into the right gear but I like my low mileage nice day toy so far. What did you order?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After test driving a few different ones I could tell the shifting was going to take some getting used to. My SI shifts quite nicely, and is fun, but is certainly no Mustang. I went with a Kona Blue V6 Premium with the PP and comfort package (don't want my girlfreind to be cold in the winter :nono:). Probably should have got the Security package, but I'l pick up a set of wheel locks when I get it. Does it come stock with any kind of a security system??

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went with a Kona Blue V6 Premium with the PP and comfort package
They let you order Kona Blue? I thought Kona Blue ran out in December?

Probably should have got the Security package, but I'l pick up a set of wheel locks when I get it. Does it come stock with any kind of a security system??
I think you get the "Passive" system. You have to pay extra for the "Active" system which looks for motion within the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I reccomend having the factory security upgrade, it's pretty good if you add the Ford system in yourself (as i did) you don't get the ultrasonic detector. Realise that i'm cheap and wish I had had them do it. The Perf Pack is real fun!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered it Kona Blue about a week ago and they haven't told me there was a problem since. I also asked Deysha if there was a problem with that particular color and she said not that she knew of, so I think I'm fine. Although I will be quite disappointed if I find out in a 2 or 3 weeks that its not available

1 - 20 of 21 Posts