Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have previously owned a Mazdaspeed6 which had a nice Bose system, and a Scion TC release series which had an even better Pioneer system. Now we come to my new Mustang..UGH, Bar none the WORST stereo ive ever heard in a modern car.

Over the next six months or so I will be upgrading, I have never upgraded a stereo before, I don't want to just take it to a shop, I want to research and pick out the components myself. Heres where im at.

1. Speakers (I will Install)
2. head unit. Do I need?
3. Amp and sub in trunk (audio shop install)

Im a newbie and need some advice on brands, and pricing. How much should I be paying for quality? Ive seen speakers from 20 to 120 dollars. Head units, amps and subs are all over.

pioneer, Bose, alpine? I want crisp, clear sound with balanced bass, but I also wanna be able to crank the bass ocassionally.

What order should I install? What do I need to install speakers myself?(ex harnesses, brackets, wiring etc..)

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
558 Posts
The door speakers are stupid easy to replace. It really depends on if you want to keep the stock look or go aftermarket way. I wanted to keep stock look so I got the jbl ms-8 and hooked it up and it sounds great. Also amped my door speakers

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The door speakers are stupid easy to replace. It really depends on if you want to keep the stock look or go aftermarket way. I wanted to keep stock look so I got the jbl ms-8 and hooked it up and it sounds great. Also amped my door speakers

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
I will just keep the stock look. Easier that way. Will probly get the metra dash kit and a double din HU so that will be different enough. Do I need to do rear speakers? Are the front speakers on 13s same as 11s and 12s?? How much did you pay for your speakers?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm currently in the middle of upgrading the base stereo in my '12.

The door speakers are super easy to replace, but the 5X7 mount makes your speaker choice somewhat limited.

The rear speakers are more difficult. They require stripping out most of the rear interior of your car to get to. It's not THAT hard, but it takes time. Figure about an hour and a half to get it all out enough to remove the rear deck cover and get to the speakers.

Rear speakers are also 5X7, so again you'll be somewhat limited on choice.

Now, as for myself, I did a lot of internet searching, and then found a local shop that had the speakers I was interested in so I could go and listen to them. I HIGHLY recommend you make your final choice based on what speakers sound best to you, and not specs or internet reviews.

That said, I listened to about 10 different speakers. Ultimately I chose this:

Front Speakers = Polk Audio Db5251 (5.25" Component, 1.75" Tweeter, and Passive Crossover)

Rear Speakers = Polk Audio MM571 (5X7 2-way Coaxial with Passive Crossovers)

Mounting the DB5251s in the doors required the Metra 825601 adapter plates and a little cutting on the factory Ford mount with a utility knife. There are 4 tabs on the Ford mount which stick out to hold the factory speaker in place, and those had to be cut away. Also I had to cut a small crescent in one end of the mount to get the tweeter to sit inside, and then cut two small notches out of the other end so the screws from the 5.25" speaker would fit.

It sounds a lot more difficult than it really is. The plastic is soft and cuts easily with a sharp utility knife, and it really doesn't require much cutting. It only took me about 3 minutes per door to get everything to fit nice and snug. Rear speakers were just a matter of stripping the interior to get down to them. Once there you just remove the four 6mm bolts holding each one in and replace them.

That's where I sit now. Next on my agenda will be an Alpine MRX V70 5 channel amp and a 12" Polk Audio MM1240 subwoofer mounted in the trunk.

Since you will be doing this yourself, perhaps I can save you a bit of time here....

Factory Wiring Harness schematic from back of head unit. (good for knowing which wires are positive and negative at the speaker end)
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/thevikingnj/2012%20Mustang%20GT%20CS/BaseStereoWiring.jpg

How to install an amp walkthrough.
How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning) - MustangForums.com

Speaker replacement walkthrough.
2005-2009 Ford Mustang Speaker Replacement How-To Guide - YouTube

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my base V6 I upgraded the stereo as follows:

HU is a Sony, not a bad unit, sounds and looks good:

Sony XAV-63 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

The speakers used cost a bit more than some others, but they do sound really good:

Focal Access 570CA1 SG 5"x7" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

Finally went with the Scosche dash kit, I prefer it over the Metra dash kits:

Amazon.com: Scosche FD1441B 2010 Ford Mustang Double DIN and DIN with Pocket: Car Electronics

I did not replace the rear speakers, and will probably keep the stock ones for now. One nice thing about the Sony HU is that they have a feature called rear bass enchancer, which applies a low pass filter to the signal, making the rear speakers sound like a sub woofer. Sure it won't make up for a real sub, but on the other had, it does work and you can hear the bass much better with that feature turned on.

There are a lot of good options, depending upon your budget and how much power you want to end up running in the system.

I could not be happier with the set up that is currently in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stock 2013 mustang stereo -shaker 500 and more upgrade

I just did an upgrade to the 2013 base system upgrading to a Ford Shaker 500 head unit so I had Satellite and changer. I also replaced all the door and rear deck speakers. Finished it off with a 12" MTX Thunder form and Kenwwod 500W Class D sub amp. The system sounds awsome and costs under 1K total. Things needed:

Shaker 500 radio-$200.00 or less-ebay You only need the main radio, not the screen or console with the controls.
Satellite atenna- ford facory-$28.00-ebay
Sattellite antenna cable-$38.00-ebay or Sattellite dealer
4 5x8 speakers-your choice-$200.00-300 depending on brand-Amazon/Crutchfield I used Kenwoods 3-way $78.00 a pair
1 Kenwood class d mono amp 300W RMS with auto turn on and hi level inputs-$150.00 Amazon
MTX Thunderform non-amplified with 12" woofer loaded-$350.00 Crutchfield
1 8 gauge amp Kit-$35.00-Amazon/Ebay

This is a 7 hour job, but is fairly easy.

This will give you USB, Satellite and BluTooth and a thumping clear system without a dash kit and factory looks. The hardest part of the whole install was cutting a hole in the trunk for the Satellite antenna. You could buy the magnet type and save money, but it looks cheap to me and I like the Satellite bump and factory atenna look in the center of the Trunk.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I upgraded my sons, we put pioneer TS-D6802R front and rears. I used an alpine KTP-445U in line 45W 4 channel amp which fits in the recess under the head unit to amplify both sets of speakers. It also will allow you to set crossover and you will get good sound from the rears. MTX loaded thunderform sub in the trunk which comes with amp and sub and wiring. System sounds great for less than $700

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are the Shaker head units good? comparable to putting in a dash kit with a decent aftermarket head unit? I hesitate to put a dash kit in, and very few options. I have a 2012 basic . I put in new speakers they help but hard to get all the way past the poor sound quality from the head unit. and yes 5x7s cant handle enough bass.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Are the Shaker head units good? comparable to putting in a dash kit with a decent aftermarket head unit? I hesitate to put a dash kit in, and very few options. I have a 2012 basic . I put in new speakers they help but hard to get all the way past the poor sound quality from the head unit. and yes 5x7s cant handle enough bass.
I didnt have the base radio, but I can say that the shaker500 unit wasnt bad for a stock system. I mean I didnt buy the Mustang with intentions of having amazing sound, and the shaker500 was good enough.

Having said that an aftermarket deck with quality amps and speakers can go along way. I would think it'd be a good upgrade from the base radio.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts