Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I bought a 2013 BOSS302 Used last July w/ 15K miles on it (It now has 24k). Everything was going fine and then all of the last week, I started hearing a strange rattling or wobbling noise when shifting into 3rd gear (some other gears as well).

I brought it into the Dealership and they test drove it and they were able to identify the same noise as I.

The dealership called me today and they said they need to take the transmission apart and they may need to either rebuild or replace it.

My question is if the transmission is rebuilt or replaced how will that affect me when I try to trade the car in? will that kill the cars value?

Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
In some areas a rebuilt one may deduct some value but a replaced one will not hurt value. But make sure you keep all ford paper work for proof of repair or replacement for when you sell it and that will provide alot of assurance for the buyer and keep the price good for you.

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
A new transmission is relatively inexpensive. Dealer cost a little over 2k I think. Perhaps you could swing a deal and offer to pay the difference between rebuilding and dealer cost for a new one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Why would I want to split any cost with the dealer? when the whole job would be under warranty? will it make a difference (at trade in) if I keep the original transmission?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
As long as you keep the documentation, a replacement transmission would probably increase the trade in value. And under warranty, they pay.

Pete

·
Registered
680 Posts
I can't see where such a repair affects resale at all, as long as the car is in good working order when put up for sale/ I don't think this would necessarily show up on CarFax would it?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I can't see where such a repair affects resale at all, as long as the car is in good working order when put up for sale/ I don't think this would necessarily show up on CarFax would it?
I bet it will show up on a Car Fax. Maintenance and the like shows up on Car Fax reports all the time. Just like accidents...

And I agree, it wouldn't turn me off from buying the car; as long as the trans worked well when I was test driving it.

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Thanks for the response. Why would I want to split any cost with the dealer? when the whole job would be under warranty? will it make a difference (at trade in) if I keep the original transmission?

I was only suggesting that if the dealer insists on rebuilding yours and you would prefer a brand new transmission.

And why would you even be thinking about trading in an iconic Boss? If I was fortunate enough to own one it would be a keeper for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was only suggesting that if the dealer insists on rebuilding yours and you would prefer a brand new transmission.

And why would you even be thinking about trading in an iconic Boss? If I was fortunate enough to own one it would be a keeper for sure.

Thanks for the response!! I appreciate it. I was afraid that if they replaced the transmission, it would somehow make everything "Not match" in terms of serial numbers and would mean the boss was no longer original.

As far as trading it in goes my plan is to trade the BOSS in for a 2016 GT350 when they become available and when the premium has dropped on them.

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Thanks for the response!! I appreciate it. I was afraid that if they replaced the transmission, it would somehow make everything "Not match" in terms of serial numbers and would mean the boss was no longer original.

As far as trading it in goes my plan is to trade the BOSS in for a 2016 GT350 when they become available and when the premium has dropped on them.

I'm not sure if all that serial number stuff applies to the new cars as it did to the classics. Perhaps someone can chime in on that one.

Your plan is along my line of thinking with my '12 GT, if I can get over my current aversion to the new design. Biggest obstacle is getting it by the wife who has about as much interest in cars as a box of rocks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure if all that serial number stuff applies to the new cars as it did to the classics. Perhaps someone can chime in on that one.

Your plan is along my line of thinking with my '12 GT, if I can get my current aversion to the new design. Biggest obstacle is getting it by the wife who has about as much interest in cars as a box of rocks.

One last question, do you guys think I should get a second opinion on the BOSS Transmission repair/replacement?

it took Ford about 3 weeks to get the OK to take mine apart and look at the internals.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
One last question, do you guys think I should get a second opinion on the BOSS Transmission repair/replacement?

it took Ford about 3 weeks to get the OK to take mine apart and look at the internals.
If it's under warranty, have them check it. Documentation!

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts