Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '13 V6 and I am in love with it. However, it has fog lights in the bumper, as well as the LED style fog lights in the grill. The smaller fog lights in the bumper come on when I use the switch, but upon further inspection, the LED lights in the grill don't even have a harness ran to them. Does anyone know if this was common from the factory, or something that someone added aftermarket? I know they are the factory lights and grill, I just don't understand why someone would put the extra money into the lights and not have them hooked up. Call me crazy I guess. That's what makes me think it was factory, but it is still stupid to do even from the factory.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Post a pic? Would help alot. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
727 Posts
Its probably a V6 with a OEM GT grille and fog lamps, but the previous owner didn´t connect the grille lamps because there´s no harness and probably its not as easy as just disconnecting the harness from the lower bumper lamps and connecting the LED fog lamps on the grille.

From what I understand its not legal to have more than 4 lights on at a time .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMG_0005.jpg

Let me know if this helps. The lower smaller fog lights work as expected, but like I said the ones in the grill are missing the harness.

Either way, aftermarket or OEM, how the heck would I go about hooking them up? I don't want just a set of non working fog lights, so Id like to hook BOTH up if that makes sense, but at the same time, I don't want to have an aftermarket switch. I just want the one OEM switch. I don't know if its even possible. I seem to get myself into the damnedest predicaments...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually questioned the legality of the lights myself, but I asked our local PD and they said no there are no issues with more than one set of fog lights.

C

·
0 Posts
The harness for the GT LED fogs won't work with the Pony lower fogs. It's either or and then it would take some splicing and cutting to have it work off of the stock interior switch.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As another user stated, the previous owner swapped the V6 grill for the GT grill. Your car appears (from what I can see of the wheels) to be the Premium model with the Pony Package. The PP comes with upgraded wheels, optional door stripes and unique grill. The PP factory grill your car had is the same one on my car, so you can check out the picture of mine to see. It is a chrome corral surrounding the pony.

I would either leave the current grill as is and not worry about the fogs, or I would replace the grill with the factory style Pony Package unit. Heck, the previous owner might still have it (though doubtful). You can certainly find and purchase on ebay or through Ford.

·
Registered
154 Posts
See image

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tommy, I LOVE the color of your stang. Looks great.

Ill probably end up doing that, depending on what the dealership says tomorrow. I have an appointment with them to take a look at the lights. I just bought it a week ago saturday, and I told them that I bought the car under the impression that the fog lights were working. So they said they'd take a look at it.

Just for shits and giggles, if I would want the GT lights to work, and not the ones in the bumper, isn't there a conversion harness to go from the standard H11 to the LED? So I could have the grill lights working without the bumper?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And as far as the previous owner goes, the car was actually a lease car. She only had it for one year. And I thought that modifying a lease car was a no-no, but that doesn't mean she didn't do it anyway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks man. You will continue to very much enjoy your car, and the Sterling Grey was an excellent color choice. My F150 is that color; you'll find that your car will be much more resistant to scratches and chips than other colors. And as a side note, I can wash my truck and even after it rains, it still looks great (as long as it isn't rolling down the road at the time).

There is certainly a way to tap into the wiring harness to get those lights working, but I wouldn't know how without messing with it.

And if you're into modding your car at all, the Airaid cold air intake gets glowing reviews.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have fog lights in my 2011 grill and added the lower splitter valance from the CS which has lights. To wire them ( no mickey mouse ) I found the Roush harness. I has the relay and the switch to choose upper or lower lights. Check it out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much Capt! Ill definitely take a look into it. You wouldnt happen to have a link would you?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I added CS fog to my gt and used a wireless fog light switch kit to power them so I didn't have to cut up my harness . I can run with grill fogs or bumper fogs or both . Works great !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went with the roush harness that Capt suggested! It's on its way! I'll keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I went with the roush harness that Capt suggested! It's on its way! I'll keep everyone posted!
Where did you get your harness from?

Wayne

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wayne-

The picture associated with this listing has absolutely nothing to do with what you'd actually be buying, but here you go: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsp-401283

I verified with William over at Roush and he said that's definitely what I'm looking for.

Let me know if you have any questions and Ill try to help out as best I can

·
Registered
349 Posts
RCasad,
Thanks for the info. I have a 14 GT but would like to install some of the Ford fog lights in the bumper and have both sets work.

I've seen a few threads on different forums about adding fog lights but no one ever shows how they wired it up. Thanks.

Wayne

1 - 20 of 23 Posts