Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So exactly a week ago, I purchased a 2013 GT Premium. It’s got about 130k on it and it’s been regularly serviced. The car runs and drives great. I don’t have much experience at all with coyote motors, so I’m curious. The CHT gauge on the cluster displays an average of 240° while cruising. Keep in mind, I live in TN and it’s been around 50° for the past few weeks. I’ve checked the coolant already, and the oil. The cooling fan works, and the car doesn’t overheat. I don’t get any warnings or anything either. I’m just not sure what a normal temp range is. I’m also curious, if that’s not normal, what would cause high temps like that? I’ve already checked the oil and coolant. Gaskets are all fine. I’m just clueless, and I don’t want to drive on it if it’s got something going on. Please let me know.

·
Administrator
4,806 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,468 Posts
Cylinder head temperature on the 5.0L Coyote should be about in the 210°-220° range. 240° average is too high. You should start to be concerned at 230°+. Given that it's only 50° outside there's no reason for it to exceed 220° no less average 240°. On a really hot day of 100° you may see the low to mid 220°s.
Perhaps your thermostat isn't opening all the way, your water pump is problematic, or you have coolant that isn't doing it's job. I'd buy a new Motorcraft thermostat and fresh coolant and see if that cures it.
It could also be that the CHT sensor isn't reading right. However, since you should change your coolant every few years and you have 130k on a likely original thermostat I'd start with that first.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,468 Posts
I would take it to your local Ford dealer, and have them do a COMPLETE flush of your system, and put in the new green Oats antifreeze.I have a 2011 GT with 42,000 miles, and my antifreeze has been flushed 2 times,$ 120.00 and no mess .
I agree. I had Ford flush one of my cars recently and it was well worth the $ to me since bottling and disposing of used antifreeze is a headache and I have piece of mind knowing that it's flushed completely.
They filled it with a yellow antifreeze though. It actually looked nearly clear in the bright sun with barely a tinge of yellow in it. I went back in and questioned it and they said that it's the new stuff that's put in most vehicles now and supersedes most recent older stuff. If a vehicle took the orange or rare dark green coolant then it now gets the new yellow(at a Ford dealer at least). This is a newer Ford informational bulletin issued last year: FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf (fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com)
Just thought I'd mention it so people aren't surprised like I was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts