Ford Mustang Forum banner

2013 GT Track Pack rims are composite?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  edillen3953 
#1 ·
Two weeks after picking up my 2013 GT I noticed a scrape on the driver's side 19x9" front wheel. I didn't do it, so filed a claim with Ford. They now tell me they can have it repaired locally (?). Well I do bodywork, and seems to me, you can try to Bondo the alu rim and sand and shape it and make it look nice, but it will fall off. Plus you would have to match the Ti paint of the rim (these rims are painted).

If I look at the scrape, I see a white inner matrix. I am wondering if the rim is composite or has a thick composite coating. Maybe powder coating? I presume the rim is mainly aluminum.

I preferred to have the whole wheel replaced, but doesn't look like that will fly.

The only pics I have are 5 megapixel so I won't attach them.

So anybody had this rim repaired in this manner?

G
#2 ·
We have a wheel repair guy right here at my dealership and I can try to ask how he repairs scuffs and gouges. Basically for really bad scuffs and deep gouges they can weld or add metal material like soldering then sand and buff before painting. For light scuffs they just sand it down slightly before repainting. Our guys(affiliates of Dent Wizard) can work miracles it seems but I haven't watched their process.

FYI the Brembo/Track Pack wheels are cast aluminum made in China.

#4 ·
I guess on mine the scrape is just on the paint as I don't see any silver matrix.

Just hate bodywork on a new car. I've done it extensively and I know what it's like under the surface and what it's hiding.

If it's out of warrantee you could do it yourself except you'd need the paint code on the rims, which seems to be a dark gray metalflake, plus a clearcoat probably.

G
#7 ·
Two weeks after picking up my 2013 GT I noticed a scrape on the driver's side 19x9" front wheel. I didn't do it, so filed a claim with Ford. They now tell me they can have it repaired locally (?). Well I do bodywork, and seems to me, you can try to Bondo the alu rim and sand and shape it and make it look nice, but it will fall off. Plus you would have to match the Ti paint of the rim (these rims are painted).
Hey Clevor,

I want to look into this further for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number, so I can review this for you and escalated if needed.

Deysha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.