Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi brand new to this site. I have a 2012 GT Mustang. I was wondering if anyone knew if the 2013 tail lights would fit the 2012 mustangs? Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well they look like they will fit, there is a picture somewhere here that shows a 2012 with the 13' tail lights on it. I too am interested and hope the wiring matches up like plug and play.

·
Registered
118 Posts
what do we think people, am I allowed to put '13 tail lights on my '11 Kona GT?

·
Registered
67 Posts
2010_v_2013_mustang_taillight_compare_resize.jpg

I'm just guessing but I don't think they would be a straight replacement.. they seem to be slightly different shapes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
They do fit, but the lines dont match up along the bottom. There was a thread on here a while ago illustrating this, but I cant find it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think the '13 lights look butt-ugly anyway. In that photo, ours looks way better. EVERY time a new light comes out, everyone wants to change to that, just cause it's newer. When I had my 94 and the 96's came out, everyone wanted to do the same. Recently, on all the 10 and lower forums, everyone wants to change to sequential. I just hate the way the 13's lights are outlined, but hey, that's just me.
RC

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
I think the '13 lights look butt-ugly anyway. In that photo, ours looks way better. EVERY time a new light comes out, everyone wants to change to that, just cause it's newer. When I had my 94 and the 96's came out, everyone wanted to do the same. Recently, on all the 10 and lower forums, everyone wants to change to sequential. I just hate the way the 13's lights are outlined, but hey, that's just me.
RC
I agree. This is plus the massive looking rear bumper are probably the biggest reasons I just bought a 2012.

·
Registered
338 Posts
RC
I had 2 '95s and I loved the taillights of the 94-95 better than the 96-98! I also like the '13 tails, but not enough to actually go buy them. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere!

·
Registered
171 Posts
They do fit, but the lines dont match up along the bottom. There was a thread on here a while ago illustrating this, but I cant find it.

yeah, this has been clarified over a lot of threads. The tail lights will swap on, but there will be a small gap between the taillight and the rear bumper. you can either leave the gap, or swap to a 13+ rear bumper.

This is a picture of a 12 mustang with the 13 tail lights, you can see the small gap / bottom of the tail light sticking out a bit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks, Implosive, for posting that pic -- worth more than a thousand words.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It remains to be seen without camera shots from different angles just how clean it's going to look with the gaps. From that angle it doesn't look so bad but it may look crappy from other angles.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Tail lights

I have a 2013 GT Convertible. The passenger tail light has started leaking though it is supposed to be an airtight light. Now my lights work but they are shorting and won't blink sequentially. Any ideas?

·
Registered
673 Posts
American Muscle sells a piece that fills the gap under the 13-14 lights in a 12 rear bumper.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I gathered from that thread they were $1300 each. I wonder if the LED's are built in to the lamps because I don't understand how they could justify charging that much otherwise.
The "lamps" are entirely LED on the '13, that's why they're so $$$. No bulbs at all.

Apparently, the Mustang team lead @ Ford had to fight the beancounters to keep them by threatening to quit over it (or so the story goes), they were so expensive, even to the OEM.

No way I'd pay to convert them though, if I had a '11-12.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts