Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might have a problem! I've been noticing at stoplights or at the drive-thru (especially at night, helps to have a car behind me with headlights to backlight) my Mustang has been throwing off noticeable - but faint - amounts white smoke from the exhaust. It doesn't seem to go away at temperature. I'm definitely the only car in line doing it 99% of the places I go.

The car is a 2013 and has all of 5000 miles on it, just had its first oil change. Could it be possible I have a head gasket/coolant issue already? There is definitely an exhaust smell going on, can't tell if it's "sweet" or not. Checked the dipstick and oil fill cap, no white milkshake or anything. Also made sure to check the weather: mid 50s / 90% humidity. (Definitely condensation weather... but you'd think this would go away once the car hit operating temps)

Doesn't seem to make a difference: long drive? short drive? Still puts out the exhaust. Normal operating temperature or cold. This is a new thing I've been noticing, like the last week or two.

I want to check with the forums to make sure I'm not crazy or crying wolf before I head up to the dealership...

I tried getting video of it but it was just faint enough and the lighting was wrong for me to get anything on my phone's camera.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Since the car is brand new you need to take it back to the dealer and replicate the smoke. If you were out of your warranty I would tell you to do something else but right now the dealer is your best bet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the car is brand new you need to take it back to the dealer and replicate the smoke. If you were out of your warranty I would tell you to do something else but right now the dealer is your best bet.
This is 100% the plan. Hoping its not something serious or the dealer doesn't balk; I'm mostly asking around to see if anyone has had this or if there is anything I can do ahead of calling. Probably get on it first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The car is a 2013 and has all of 5000 miles on it, just had its first oil change. Could it be possible I have a head gasket/coolant issue already? There is definitely an exhaust smell going on, can't tell if it's "sweet" or not. Checked the dipstick and oil fill cap, no white milkshake or anything. Also made sure to check the weather: mid 50s / 90% humidity. (Definitely condensation weather... but you'd think this would go away once the car hit operating temps)
50* and 90% humidity might show condensation regardless, and the engine warming up won't make a difference. Water is a normal component of the combustion process.

You can't compare your car to many others because we have a large dual exhaust system; the exhaust exit speed will be slower than say, a 4-banger. Our exhaust will condense right away at the tailpipes.

If you're getting equal condensation at both pipes and you're not noticing coolant loss or overheating chances are you're OK. You can still get it checked of course but if you're not losing coolant I'd expect it to be normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off: Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm very appreciative.

I just took the car out today to get it washed; 73 and 23% humidity. Haven't seen any exhaust smoke. Seeing some heat waves a bit, figure thats normal. Don't know if I just can't see it because its full daylight or...

I was also noticing some serious condensation on other parts of the vehicle last night, even after a serious drive. Calling Ford tomorrow to see what they have to say and will start a data/image log for the coolant level. Guessing its nothing, but if it is something I'd vastly prefer for it to be caught under warranty!

On a side note someone cut me off and I took a nasty curbshot. Scraped my rear right passenger side rim all up. Not a happy camper. Why'd I move to the city again? (Guess my first upgrade will be tires and rims after all.)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
A simple pressure check of the coolant system will tell if you have a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was doing it again tonight. Will look into a pressure test. Going to call Ford first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called my local dealership where I got the car this morning; dropped it off. They agreed something might be up (I noticed some low oil levels, to boot) and are going to take a look at it. So its the bus for this guy for now...

F

·
0 Posts
I think I might have a problem! I've been noticing at stoplights or at the drive-thru (especially at night, helps to have a car behind me with headlights to backlight) my Mustang has been throwing off noticeable - but faint - amounts white smoke from the exhaust. It doesn't seem to go away at temperature. I'm definitely the only car in line doing it 99% of the places I go.
Hello Craigotron,

I’d like to get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help get this resolved.

Deysha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Realized I never followed up on this. I took into the dealership and they found nothing; were good to work. I am having another issue, though, and I'm going to post that... NOW.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello Craigotron,

I’d like to get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help get this resolved.

Deysha
If this has been happening for months, someone has dropped the ball and the problem will get worse. Pressure test cylinders, leak down test, followed by crankase ventilation test if the cylinder pressure tests come out OK. Then cooling system pressure test. Your oil doesn't look bad, does it? New car with burning smoke (white is usually coolant, blue is oil) doesn't seem all that hard to discover. Either way, it's not something to wait on for a fix.

F

·
0 Posts
Realized I never followed up on this. I took into the dealership and they found nothing; were good to work. I am having another issue, though, and I'm going to post that... NOW.
Make sure to PM me, Craigotron!

Deysha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts