Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 v6 mustang and recently I’ve been having accelerating issues with it, it’ll run good and then randomly give a kick as if the gear slipped and loses power for a few seconds before it will accelerate again. When this happens my gas light and service light turn on but will then go away after a few minutes. The car will also run fine after I turn it off and turn it back on before facing the same problem. Do any of you guys know what the problem could be??

·
Administrator
4,806 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.

We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

First thing to do is scan for codes. Just because the light went out doesn’t mean there are no codes stored in the PCM.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,468 Posts
Welcome to the site.
How many miles? Does the CEL(check engine light) come on or just the service soon light and the low fuel light(I assume that's what you meant by gas light)? If there's dash lights illuminating when this sporadic power loss happens then I'm betting a trouble code(s) will be registered. Like said above I would definitely scan it for codes to get an idea of what system or circuit is causing the issue.
It could be any # of things but the fuel light makes me think it's fuel system related though that's not necessarily the case. Borderline low fuel pressure from a bad fuel pump, bad regulator, extremely clogged fuel filter, bad pressure sensor, bad injector, bad relay, etc. or it could be as simple as a poor ground somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the site.
How many miles? Does the CEL(check engine light) come on or just the service soon light and the low fuel light(I assume that's what you meant by gas light)? If there's dash lights illuminating when this sporadic power loss happens then I'm betting a trouble code(s) will be registered. Like said above I would definitely scan it for codes to get an idea of what system or circuit is causing the issue.
It could be any # of things but the fuel light makes me think it's fuel system related though that's not necessarily the case. Borderline low fuel pressure from a bad fuel pump, bad regulator, extremely clogged fuel filter, bad pressure sensor, bad injector, bad relay, etc. or it could be as simple as a poor ground somewhere.
I have 140,000 on it and the check engine light does not come on but yesterday it was on for about an hour before it went away, when we scanned for codes it showed that there was a small evap leak but I’m not sure if that has to do anything with my power loss

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What was this code exactly? Some evap problems can easily cause your car to have serious problems like that. Purge valves are a common fail but there are also other common but easily fixable issues with the evap system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What was this code exactly? Some evap problems can easily cause your car to have serious problems like that. Purge valves are a common fail but there are also other common but easily fixable issues with the evap system.
The code was P0456
I changed all my filters and it seemed to help a little bit but it still loses acceleration.
When I parked to restart the car and popped the hood the engine felt a lot hotter even though I had only ran the car for a bit.
I was thinking of maybe cleansing my cat with
Laquer thinner but I’m not sure if that’ll hurt the car.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think checking your grounds especially the one at the engine but also the other grounds and the positive cable as well. Make sure there is no corrosion or looseness.
If this still escapes detection then I would consider having the dealer diagnose and possibly do datalogging so that when this happens it will be revealed what system seems to be causing this intermittent problem.
Most Evap issues won't cause it to run like this but a couple like a stuck Evap purge valve can make the car overpressurize the fuel tank or cause a vacuum that can go as far as distort and crumple the tank making filling the car a problem and cause it to run poorly at times. However, you aren't showing a purge valve code(or any other apparently) so I think the Evap code may be separate.
Possible Evap causes are: loose, broken, or missing fuel cap(not applicable in this generation Mustang), a small leak in any of the Evap hoses, a small leak in the fuel tank hoses, pipes, or the tank itself, a small leak in the purge valve or vent valve, a cracked or broken charcoal canister, a clogged fuel tank pressure relief valve, or a defective EVAP pressure sensor.
No, don't use thinner. There are products made to clean the cat but you aren't showing any cat, O2 sensor, or related codes.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
'I have read', if you spray a quick spray of WD40 on the hinge part of the gas tank filler flap. Take the white funnel that came with your Mustang and quickly insert and pull all the way out around 20-30 times. Sometimes this will fix the code.

Just something free and easy to at least try :)

Reactions: Cobrajet67
1 - 10 of 10 Posts