Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone with a track pack experienced "torque steer" or pulling left during accel in 6th gear? Less so in 5th. Also, when I let off gas it immediately pulls to the right. I have to correct 2-3 degrees each way on steering wheel. Car will dramatically move a couple of feet during gas on/off. Makes it kind of sporty to be in bumper to bumper at 60 mph. Feel like a pinball and its dangerous as hell. It's done this from the dealer lot when I got it 4 weeks ago. Am going to schedule a service appt but wanted to check if anyone noticed the same and I'm being an idiot.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^agreed. I'm guessing its maybe an alignment issue? If car is stock, I think it would be quite tough to get "torque steer" (aka spin the tires) in 6th gear anyway. I'm guessing suspension or alignment problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
^agreed. I'm guessing its maybe an alignment issue? If car is stock, I think it would be quite tough to get "torque steer" (aka spin the tires) in 6th gear anyway. I'm guessing suspension or alignment problem.

Good luck!
+1 torque steer is a front wheel drive issue

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check for it on multiple roads if you havn't done so already. It honestly sounds like grooves in the road ( I've have similar experiences on the giant pot hole they call the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. If it's an alignment issue that makes the car drift, it should drift at all speeds.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 2013 with the Track Pack and mine does not exhibit this behavior. Definitely take it back to the dealer. It is not normal and sounds like an alignment issue of some sort. On certain roads my car will "ride" in the grooves in the road and sometimes pull left or right, but not just because I hit the throttle. I believe my issue is called tramlining.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe your diff is screwed up? I would take it in as soon as possible, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It could possibly be a bad LCA bushing one one side.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
lol I don't think his best solution is to spend $270+shipping. His best option is to get it fixed by the dealership under warranty... :yup:

·
Registered
375 Posts
lol I don't think his best solution is to spend $270+shipping. His best option is to get it fixed by the dealership under warranty... :yup:
Agreed. Why spend more of your own money for something that Ford will fix for free?

$270 + shipping + labor = Worst solution ever

Warranty = Best solution

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is probably not it since it's been 4 weeks but I had these exact symptoms on my Fox body right after I changed my wheels. It was loose lug nuts in the rear causing the car to steer from side to side as I was on and off the throttle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As those said above - Torque steer really only in FWDs (unless it's a rail dragster).
Could be the tires tramming, I've noticed that with the new stock pirelli's.
Try different road surfaces and also watch the crowning of the road. If the crown slopes to the right and you are still pulling left - take it in.
Would think that if it is suspension related that you would notice pulling more in the torque-heavy lower gears rather than the overdrive geared 6th.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone.

It's not the road. I spent 8 years driving commercially and know what that is. I drive the same route that I used to drive in my 12 GT (wife drives it now). '12 GT has absolutely no pull. Same rear-end gears too. I even tried it again this morning in her car.

I turned off TCS but didn't turn off ESC to see if that was doing it. Dealer has car now and just called to say nothing wrong. Offered to bring my '12 in to demo to prove them wrong. Said he would talk to mechanic and call me back.

The pulling to left is immediate with accel. Pulling to right is immediate with letting off gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the crown slopes to the right and you are still pulling left - take it in.
Would think that if it is suspension related that you would notice pulling more in the torque-heavy lower gears rather than the overdrive geared 6th.
Nothing in 1-4. Barely notice in 5th.

Car can be drifting to the right from crown and I punch it and it will overpower the right direction drift and head into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer just called. Tech noticed it but no computer codes and nobody else has experienced it on their whatever site. He said Ford doesn't pay them to find problems. He said there was nothing they can do.

I noted it was a huge saftey concern about car drifting into oncoming traffic. He said he couldn't do anything and that my car is ready to be picked up. I guess I wait until something breaks and then sue ford if I'm still alive.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Contact Deysha, the Ford Customer Service rep that posts here, with your VIN and dealership info. She'll escalate.

Here username on this site: FordCustSrvc

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's BS like this that makes me hesitant to bring my car in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OP,

Let's try to narrow down the problem a bit. When the car pulls to either side, did it feel like the car is being pulled by the steering (i.e. steering wheel physically turns in your hands), or did it feel like it is being pushed by the rear (i.e.only one rear wheel is getting power). This should at least isolate the problem to the front or rear suspension.

Also, I assumed you have tried turning off TC/ESC completely to rule out the computer hitting the brake?

I took a hard launch at a light into a left hand turn. As the rear of the car starts to drift to the right, I can feel ESC hitting the brake in a way that "tugs" the car back to the left. Turning off TC/ESC completely should eliminate that variable. Personally, I'm leaning toward faulty ESC...

FC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More info.

Bought car in IL. Was sent to them from dealer trade from IN dealer. IL dealer, who I bought from, did an alignment at 276 miles according to my local dealer (MO). yes my car is apparently well traveled. IL dealer didn't mention this. Not sure why they needed to do an alignment. Said it was to "center steering wheel". I hope that one of the dealers didn't wreck it doing a demo. Of course carfax wouldn't show this if they covered it up and there are lingering issues.

I turned off both ESC and TSC (holding tc button for 5 seconds). I did several hard launches and once the rearend slid to the left. Another, left tire blackmark was shorter/lighter. The other 3 I didn't notice any difference but couldn't get out of car to walk the marks to make sure because of traffic. :shigrin

With ESC/TSC off and tracking straight on new road with no crown and traveling at 60 mph in 6th gear. Matted accelerator, car pulled immediately left. Steering wheel did not move as I kept it locked straight. The drifting seems to get worse as the torque increases with rpm or it's just a snowball effect. Had to counter steer to keep car in my lane. Happens everytime I do above.

Traveling at steady 60mph same conditions, completely let off gas pedal and car starts pulling to right. Again no steering wheel change. Had to countersteer to keep car in my lane.

From seat of pants and college physics classes, it seems to me the right rear wheel is working harder. Under acceleration, it's putting down more power creating the left yaw. Under deaccleration, it's got more resistence creating the right yaw.

I do not notice this 1-4 gears. Maybe marginally in 5th but it's hard to say as I didn't get enough passes.

Mechanic didn't mention any differential issue. Said they racked it and didn't find any loose components. On road test mechanic did observe the pulling but attributed to the high horsepower car and torque. Then he said they didn't have anything to compare it with. I offered my 2012 with 3.73 gears but they wouldn't do it.
Mechanic said he didn't notice right pull when letting off gas. I checked the mileage before and after. Of course he didn't because he only made a 1/2 mile pass on the interstate.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts