Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just rolled over mile number 10,000, and all that time I had been mulling over the idea of a better radio. I have no SYNC, sirius or NAV. I was quoted roughly 1000 dollars for a complete install by an electronic professional. This includes Kenwood-ddx491, labor, wiring, satellite hookup and dash kit. The dash kit they quoted was the Metra 99-5823 CH model.
Now on forums and various websites, I've heard more bad feedback than good. So three questions for you guys...Is this dash kit any good? Can I go back to the dealer and have them install their unit? Finally, does anyone on here have any experience with either my first or second question?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
What is your goal?

NAV? My Android phone is superior to any in dash unit.

SYNC....problematic to say the least.

Sirius? I can get 10 times the channels on my phone...then FM Converter.

Again, what do you want?

BTW, I'm doing a SEVERE upgrade[amps, speakers, etc.] while keeping the stock head unit....bat4.gif

·
Registered
233 Posts
My father bought me JL speakers which made an an amazing difference. They are so much more clear. You can go crazy with audio, just depends on what you want.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is this dash kit any good? Can I go back to the dealer and have them install their unit? Finally, does anyone on here have any experience with either my first or second question?
I settled on buying that Metra kit because the Scoshe one was never available at the time I did my audio...it worked fine but I was never happy with it's appearance (always looked like a glorified calculator to me).

Then I stumbled onto a new Scoshe unit for $150.00 online and switched. Looks way better, works great.

Google Image Result for http://www.scosche.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/977ad6e4afa81c71a8d33f9d0ef2be58/f/d/fd1441b_2_2000x2000.jpg

I have an extra one (long story) if your interested...PM me

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Looks good, but in these kits the screen is way down low....too low IMHO.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Looks good, but in these kits the screen is way down low....too low IMHO.
I never found that to be an issue in real world (personally) and your choices are pretty much limited with the base, non-shaker cars.

Using the stock H/U with some kind of LOC, or DSP can work OK but have heard that can be a can of worms as well...

I've seen the Maestro kits that look fine but I believe you need Sync and are limited to Kenwood DD decks.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Using the stock H/U with some kind of LOC, or DSP can work OK but have heard that can be a can of worms as well...
That's the route I'm going.nod.gif

We'll see...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My goal would be to get rid of the old radio and get a big 6.1 inch screen radio in it. I was concerned about the Metra dash kit being faulty or inadequate. I know the factory option is the best quality but that is forgone now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts