Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be getting a supercharger in the next several months and will probably only be starting off at 5-6psi of boost due to the atmospheric pressure in Colorado, but I am anticipating switching to a larger pulley and my end goal is 8psi. I am aware the stock 245s are not going to like even 5psi of boost very much and I am curious, firstly; what are the biggest tires I can fit on an 8.5" rim? 255? Secondly; Is it still not even going to hook up good enough with 255s and I need to get wider wheels? :(

NOTE: I am not going to be doing drag racing of any kind really but I do want it to be able hook up if I punch it in first or second gear w/out dumping clutch.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Yeah...no street tire will hold that power. You'll need a prepped track and a slick.

I wouldn't get a drag radial with your manual transmission, that's a recipe for breaking stuff.

I know chassis, wheels, suspension, etc. mods aren't sexy, but the car can't handle its stock power without supporting mods, it definitely won't be able to handle boost, especially from a PD blower.

But yeah 255 is a good size for an 8.5" wheel.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am going to be getting a supercharger in the next several months and will probably only be starting off at 5-6psi of boost due to the atmospheric pressure in Colorado, but I am anticipating switching to a larger pulley and my end goal is 8psi. I am aware the stock 245s are not going to like even 5psi of boost very much and I am curious, firstly; what are the biggest tires I can fit on an 8.5" rim? 255? Secondly; Is it still not even going to hook up good enough with 255s and I need to get wider wheels? :(

NOTE: I am not going to be doing drag racing of any kind really but I do want it to be able hook up if I punch it in first or second gear w/out dumping clutch.
Well, here's my story -- no regrets 10,000 miles later with 275's on the stock 8.5" wheels -- post #12...
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/591066-mustang-gt-tire-size.html

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just did 275/40 on all four corners on the stock 19's. Im totally stock but the difference in road feel and handling is night and day. As for the best tires, most people will recommend michellin pilot super sports or continental extreme contacts. I didnt need such great tires so I found a cheap set of new falkens on craigslist. More than enough for a stock car. Good luck with your supercharger endeavours

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh that is interesting you guys are running 275s on the stock wheels, and 10k miles no regrets! Sounds good to me!
I am guesstimating somewhere around 550hp at this altitude with a blower and if 275s hook up as good as the 245s with 420 or close to it, then I am ok with that. Is that still not a reasonable tire size for ~550hp at the crank?

EDIT: Considering the GT500 has 285s and 670hp, I can't imagine 275s being that bad...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Huh that is interesting you guys are running 275s on the stock wheels, and 10k miles no regrets! Sounds good to me!
I am guesstimating somewhere around 550hp at this altitude with a blower and if 275s hook up as good as the 245s with 420 or close to it, then I am ok with that. Is that still not a reasonable tire size for ~550hp at the crank?

EDIT: Considering the GT500 has 285s and 670hp, I can't imagine 275s being that bad...
450rwhp will light up a set of 305s with ease if you want traction of any kind in first gear you will need a set of drag radials. You can get 255s in a drag radial your not going to break stuff because they are still going to spin just no where near as much

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
450rwhp will light up a set of 305s with ease if you want traction of any kind in first gear you will need a set of drag radials. You can get 255s in a drag radial your not going to break stuff because they are still going to spin just no where near as much
Oh ok so its more about the compound and tread and stickyness than width, hence why drag radials are better?
Sorry I grew up solely around trucks, tires for them are just determined by reputation for the tread pattern haha.

Ok so for example if I were to just pick up a pair of two Nitto NT05 255/40ZR19's.... would that be sufficient? If so what would the biggest downsides with running drag radials around town / daily driving be?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If so what would the biggest downsides with running drag radials around town / daily driving be?
Really short treadlife, sketchy in the rain.

No, you won't break stuff with a 6-speed and drag radials on the street.

Yes, you will break stuff with a 6-speed and DR's on a track.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really short treadlife, sketchy in the rain.

No, you won't break stuff with a 6-speed and drag radials on the street.

Yes, you will break stuff with a 6-speed and DR's on a track.
Is that mostly because of the different asphalt?
And by 'stuff' do you mean clutch or something more serious like trans?

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
You should be looking at tires AND wheels -- at least a 10" wide wheel in the back, or 11" if you are careful about the offset. Then you can put on 305 or maybe even 315 tires.

If it was my money, I wouldn't see the point in buying new tires that are still not going to be adequate. If you buy the wheel and tire package together you can get the wheels for just a few hundred bucks more than you would spend on tires alone.

Yeah the GT500 comes with 275's on the back . . . and it is well known for having terrible traction problems.

735 Posts
Is that mostly because of the different asphalt?
And by 'stuff' do you mean clutch or something more serious like trans?
It's mostly from applying repeated stress at maximum levels that were meant to handle intermittent stress at moderate levels.

But if people only go to the drag strip a couple of times a year and they drive decent, they should be ok.

From my years of experience back in the day, drag racing on a regular basis is a game of "Let's Find The Weakest Link". Because sooner or later, they'll find it (clutch, rear end, trans, shifter, engine, etc.).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
305 drag radials just seems kind of unnecessary to me. I do not plan on going to the track at all, I mean I might go once or twice just to do a 1/4 mile but this is really going to be more of a weekend warrior and occasional daily driver as I will be picking up a new truck soon for my daily.
I also really just don't have the money (without postponing buying other things that I would rather not do) for a new set of wheels/tires all the way around which is about $2k give or take a couple hundred, and I love the stock GT/CS wheels that I have. That being said, I could go all the way up to a 275 on those wheels with a little bulge out the sides.
I am not going to be drag racing, I'm not gonna be launching down my street every time I drive the car..I'm probably very rarely going to do 0-60 or 1/4 mile pulls which is the only time I really get into it off a stand still even stock... Are 255 NT05's really going to be inadequate for that??
If so I could probably squeeze a 275 on these rims based on some of the earlier posts here.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
On an 8.5" wheel, a 255 will be better than a 275 from a contact patch and sidewall shape point of view. The 275 will of course "look better" but it will not work as well. If you're not going to be racing I wouldn't mess with a race tire. I would also probably consider something not Nitto...never did understand the Mustang/Nitto love affair.

Why do you break stuff at a drag strip with a standard and drag radials? Track prep. There is more or less glue and rubber than gets put down on a drag strip to make high horsepower cars get traction. Drag radials (when compared with bias-ply slicks) have stiff sidewalls, don't flex on launch, and don't do the "hooking up while spinning" thing that bias-ply slicks do. The nature of an automatic transmission, as it's a fluid coupling, is better suited to the "go right now" launch of a drag radial- it's a gentler hit on the drive train than a clutch dump. If your car hooks with a drag radial and a manual, it shocks the hell out of your drive train, and something's gotta give. Twisted driveshafts, broken spider gears, broken clutch...etc...you'll find out what's weakest.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On an 8.5" wheel, a 255 will be better than a 275 from a contact patch and sidewall shape point of view. The 275 will of course "look better" but it will not work as well. If you're not going to be racing I wouldn't mess with a race tire. I would also probably consider something not Nitto...never did understand the Mustang/Nitto love affair.

Why do you break stuff at a drag strip with a standard and drag radials? Track prep. There is more or less glue and rubber than gets put down on a drag strip to make high horsepower cars get traction. Drag radials (when compared with bias-ply slicks) have stiff sidewalls, don't flex on launch, and don't do the "hooking up while spinning" thing that bias-ply slicks do. The nature of an automatic transmission, as it's a fluid coupling, is better suited to the "go right now" launch of a drag radial- it's a gentler hit on the drive train than a clutch dump. If your car hooks with a drag radial and a manual, it shocks the hell out of your drive train, and something's gotta give. Twisted driveshafts, broken spider gears, broken clutch...etc...you'll find out what's weakest.
Right, that makes sense. But if I were to just buy a pair of rear tires for ~450whp even it is just temporary for a few months. And keeping then on the stock 8.5" wheels. What would you recommend? 255 NT555's? 275 Street Tires? 255 Street Tires?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I wouldn't go any wider on a 8.5 than a 255 unless you want less performance and worse wear. No way I would run an 8.5'' wheel on the rear of one of these cars supercharged. My car wouldn't come close to holding a 255 Michelin in first. If your not spinning a little it's no fun anyways but I would get at least a 10" wide wheel and if you go any wider check offsets closely

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm ok well I guess I will have to get wheels and tires then.. :/
Soo... I realize this is kind of a touchy question as everyone has their opinions about tires...but can I get some opinions on good WHEEL & TIRE setups for street use assuming about 520-540whp.

10" wheels and 285 Michelin PSS's..? Though those are a little expensive for me at the moment. I am thinking of getting 'Track Pack Style Gloss Black Wheel's from American Muscle and get 10" rear and 8.5"s up front, run the stock Pirelli's up front, sell the rear stocks and stock wheels, and get 285s for the rear. Nitto INVO's maybe? Or NT555s?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Frankly the wheels are just up to you. When it comes to wheels, you generally get what you pay for. Most any of the name brands will do well. For that matter, if this is not going to be a high mileage daily driver, you could look at the SVE (late model restoration) or AMR (american muscle) wheels as they're quite cost effective. You can get a set of staggered 19x8.5 and 19x10 very inexpensively compared to say forgestars, vossen, bbs etc..

Throw some 255/40 and 285/35 Nitto INVO's or 245/40 275/35 NT05's on and call it a day. The Nitto's are probably the best bang for the buck you can get for traction without going with drag radials. I run the INVO's (non supercharged car) and am very happy with the tire and traction in general. Granted I have 315's in the back lol. Just keep an eye on the treadwear ratings compared to your annual mileage. If I ran the NT05's daily I'd be buying new ones every 6 months.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Right, that makes sense. But if I were to just buy a pair of rear tires for ~450whp even it is just temporary for a few months. And keeping then on the stock 8.5" wheels. What would you recommend? 255 NT555's? 275 Street Tires? 255 Street Tires?
255 street tire, based on what you're going to do with it.

I would go for a good street tire with that much power, and match the fronts. Hankook RS3, BFG Rival, Dunlop Direzza Z2, Bridgestone RE11, Yokohama AD08, maybe a Falken RT615k (but probably not the falken). Those are the ones I'd go for, probably in that order, probably with the RS3's and Rivals tied for first.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Personally, I find a night & day difference between the stock 19" P Zero 245's to the Conti's extreme contact 245/ 45/19".....hookup is incredible, road holding is just a dream and the ride quality is VASTLY improved...Conti makes a really good quality tire plus1..gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Frankly the wheels are just up to you. When it comes to wheels, you generally get what you pay for. Most any of the name brands will do well. For that matter, if this is not going to be a high mileage daily driver, you could look at the SVE (late model restoration) or AMR (american muscle) wheels as they're quite cost effective. You can get a set of staggered 19x8.5 and 19x10 very inexpensively compared to say forgestars, vossen, bbs etc..

Throw some 255/40 and 285/35 Nitto INVO's or 245/40 275/35 NT05's on and call it a day. The Nitto's are probably the best bang for the buck you can get for traction without going with drag radials. I run the INVO's (non supercharged car) and am very happy with the tire and traction in general. Granted I have 315's in the back lol. Just keep an eye on the treadwear ratings compared to your annual mileage. If I ran the NT05's daily I'd be buying new ones every 6 months.
I was looking at these; Track Pack Style Gloss Black Mustang Wheel - 19x10 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
They look pretty good in my opinion and don't have a very tall price tag. What exactly changes in quality with wheels when you buy cheaper ones? The materials?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts