Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night my 2014 GT w/373 decided it didn't want to let me have my 5th gear. I've heard the horror stories in the past but I didn't stop me from buying a 13' GT and (2) 14' GT's . This is really the only GT that I've had a problem with and I'm quite disappointed with the quality of the syncro's for 5th gear. Do I drive the car the way it was meant to be driven? Yes. Do I often put load on 5th gear? No. In fact now that I think about it, if any gear was to be raped by me it would of been 2nd.

So I haven't made a trip to the dealer yet because I contacted ford customer service and was waiting to see what they said as I have entry level mods. Mods which should not have in any way caused a failure such as this.

Mods :

pypes catback
steeda cai
93 bama performance tune.

Should I run into any problems trying to get this fixed under warranty? The damn car is only 3 months old and has 5,600 miles on it. I noticed 5th gear was getting notchy a few weeks ago and that sometimes it was hard to get into, however I didn't expect a total failure.

Even if I get it fixed under warranty what's the risk of this happening again? Apparently this is a common issue and I'm not looking forward to dealing with this failure again, especially after I was considering getting an S550 as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Mine started whining at 1500 miles. Ford fixed it and the tune on the car, (Procal) did not affect the fix. It wasn't easy to get them to do it but, they ultimately did fix it.

You might consider just putting a shifter bracket on there first and see if that makes a difference. Cheap and, if it keeps you out of the shop, all the better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine started whining at 1500 miles. Ford fixed it and the tune on the car, (Procal) did not affect the fix. It wasn't easy to get them to do it but, they ultimately did fix it.

You might consider just putting a shifter bracket on there first and see if that makes a difference. Cheap and, if it keeps you out of the shop, all the better.
Sounds good to me, just called the dealer as I wait for my response from ford customer service, they said it shouldn’t cause any issues but my 5th gear synchro is out completely lol. I can't access 5th gear at all it just spins and whines, but I'm going to purchase the shifter bracket from AM if you said it helps.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Doesn't sound like a synchro problem.

And why not just take the CAI off and return the stock tune before taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't sound like a synchro problem.

And why not just take the CAI off and return the stock tune before taking it to the dealer?
Any idea on what the issue could be? I can't take the cai off because my stock parts are at my parents in PA. I did my mods while on vacation. (I'm in texas). Feels like synchros to me.

·
Administrator
13,237 Posts
From the mods you listed, I don`t see any that would affect the trans, so it should not be an issue. Contact Deysha, our Ford rep here on the site & see what she thinks. She`s good people.nod.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
My 13 with under 7K miles started grinding going into 5th gear. In the beginning I could shift it real slow into 5th and there would be no grinding. Now it grinds every time so I've been going from 4th to 6th. Have an appointment to take the car in on November 20th. That's how busy they are fixing transmissions. facepalm.gif

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Maybe try to double clutch. I believe that should match engine speed and trans gear and see if it goes into gear then.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Any idea on what the issue could be? I can't take the cai off because my stock parts are at my parents in PA. I did my mods while on vacation. (I'm in texas). Feels like synchros to me.
Even if the synchro is going bad you should be able to get it into gear, just won't be as smooth.

If you can't get it into gear at all then it is probably something else.

And you can drive it just fine without ever using 5th so you could have your folks mail you the cars original air intake to throw on for dealer warranty service.

They may not say anything about the mods but they may say the mods contributed to the transmission failure.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Maybe try to double clutch. I believe that should match engine speed and trans gear and see if it goes into gear then.
That's not it at all. Besides, you shouldn't have to double clutch to get it into gear smoothly. The first thing my service advisor said when I made him aware of the problem. "Sounds like your synchro's are bad."

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That's not it at all. Besides, you shouldn't have to double clutch to get it into gear smoothly. The first thing my service advisor said when I made him aware of the problem. "Sounds like your synchro's are bad."

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree but this would or should get it into gear bypassing a chipped or broken synchro. Engine speed must match gear speed or it will never go into gear. There is no question that the trans needs to be worked on.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There's no real "double clutch" on an up shift; there's no benefit from neutralizing the box and pumping the clutch in and out in that circumstance. You just need to straight rev match for smooth engagement. 5th from 4th is a short rev drop. 5th to 6th, more marked and a slight delay is needed.

problems with synchros will show as rough engagement, gear block is something else. The "spins and whines" comment suggests mechanical failure though. goodluck.gif

·
Registered
109 Posts
You have 3 Year Bumper to Bumper warranty they will have to fix it

They have to fix it no questions asked! That is what the 3 year bumper to bumper is for. To protect you in case something like this happens!

After they fix the problem (which they have too) You will be back to being satisfied with your ride.

I had a warranty issue that I was afraid to bring to them, however, a person in this forum to me the same thing I am telling you! When I did there was no problem. They even gave me a loaner car (I think I paid extra for that in the warranty).

There is no fricking way you should pay for anything regarding the tranny problem.

good.gif

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[UPDATE]

Was driving down bitters rd. (san antonio) and I was tried to double clutch into 5th gear. After 3-4 seconds I was successful. After that I was able to shift into 5th gear with out double clutching, however there was hard vibration on the shifter and a fart noise. After about 10 shifts into 5th gear I'm able to shift into 5th smoothly now with no noises or vibrations.

Is my MT-82 cursed? I feel my transmission is the spawn of satan. Anyone have a clue what may have happened? I've got half a mind to drop 1.2 k to have my transmission rebuilt w/410 racing gears and br3z syncros. Waiting for monday so ford customer service can drop in and explain my lemon.

angrybird.gif

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And it's my 5th gear is back to making a farting noise on every shift. Email from ford customer service is a joke. No way does an exhaust,intake,tune cause my 5th gear syncros to fail.

===================================================================

Hello Timothy,

My name is Kim and I am from the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I received your email regarding your 2014 Ford Mustang.

I am sorry to hear about the gear concern on your vehicle. I understand that you are seeking assistance regarding the repair on your vehicle and that you are seeking assurance that your modifications will not affect your vehicle in the future.

We highly recommend that your vehicle be inspected by your servicing Ford Dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. They have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to help diagnose your vehicle.

In addition, please be advised that all alterations or modifications to Ford or Lincoln vehicles must be done in compliance with Federal Emission Control Standards or any applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. If an after-market modification is responsible for a component failure, the Ford warranty would not cover that repair. Therefore, Ford Motor Company does not recommend modifications to your vehicle. However, if you would still like information regarding modifications to your vehicle, please speak with the service department of your local Ford or Ford-Lincoln Dealership.

For assistance in locating contact information of your nearest Ford Dealership, a dealer locator application is available on the Ford Owner Website at www.owner.ford.com. Once you have accessed the website, type in the zip code or city and state in the required fields and click Locate a Dealer.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Kim
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

I've owned 4 brand new mustangs just this year and this is the way they treat loyal customers.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd get your factory cai shipped back to you and revert back to stock then take it in. Better than waiting for the potentially inevitable. Who knows...

F

·
0 Posts
From the mods you listed, I don`t see any that would affect the trans, so it should not be an issue. Contact Deysha, our Ford rep here on the site & see what she thinks. She`s good people.nod.gif
Thanks for the mention, kenv!

[UPDATE]

Was driving down bitters rd. (san antonio) and I was tried to double clutch into 5th gear. After 3-4 seconds I was successful. After that I was able to shift into 5th gear with out double clutching, however there was hard vibration on the shifter and a fart noise. After about 10 shifts into 5th gear I'm able to shift into 5th smoothly now with no noises or vibrations...
Be sure to stay in contact with your CSM, pwnall1337.

Deysha

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
And it's my 5th gear is back to making a farting noise on every shift. Email from ford customer service is a joke. No way does an exhaust,intake,tune cause my 5th gear syncros to fail.

Hello Timothy,

My name is Kim and I am from the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I received your email regarding your 2014 Ford Mustang.

I am sorry to hear about the gear concern on your vehicle. I understand that you are seeking assistance regarding the repair on your vehicle and that you are seeking assurance that your modifications will not affect your vehicle in the future.

We highly recommend that your vehicle be inspected by your servicing Ford Dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. They have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to help diagnose your vehicle.

In addition, please be advised that all alterations or modifications to Ford or Lincoln vehicles must be done in compliance with Federal Emission Control Standards or any applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. If an after-market modification is responsible for a component failure, the Ford warranty would not cover that repair. Therefore, Ford Motor Company does not recommend modifications to your vehicle. However, if you would still like information regarding modifications to your vehicle, please speak with the service department of your local Ford or Ford-Lincoln Dealership.

For assistance in locating contact information of your nearest Ford Dealership, a dealer locator application is available on the Ford Owner Website at www.owner.ford.com. Once you have accessed the website, type in the zip code or city and state in the required fields and click Locate a Dealer.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Kim
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

I've owned 4 brand new mustangs just this year and this is the way they treat loyal customers.
Sounds to me that the e-mail is just stating the fact that if a modification is the problem they will not cover it. They don’t mention the mods. They will never put it in writing that your specific mods won’t be an issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds to me that the e-mail is just stating the fact that if a modification is the problem they will not cover it. They don’t mention the mods. They will never put it in writing that your specific mods won’t be an issue.
It wasn't what they said, it's what they didn't say that bothered me. They stated only negative. Anyways, the car is at the dealer now and they got me in a camry rental. I'll see how my repair goes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts