Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the middle of installing some new headers on my 2014 Mustang 3.7, and I have just got the old headers off. However, in the process of taking off the stock manifolds, the studs that stick off also unscrewed with the nuts holding on the stock manifold. I was able to screw them all back into place, however one of them is being really difficult and I'm concerned.

Basically, the angle seemed a bit off (maybe it's in my head) but that's how it wanted to go when I was hand-tightening it. Then, when it got to hard to hard tighten, I used my wrench, and that was ok but it kept getting harder and harder and now it won't go anymore, but it's still not in all the way. I took a (blurry, sorry) picture of it:

Picture

I'm concerned to put any more force on the wrench because the block is aluminum and I don't want to damage the threads. What should I do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would try unscrewing it and fixing the angle. The angle could be off by just one turn and cause it to not go in all the way. Just hold the bolt once you unscrew and turn it counter clockwise on the hole you're trying to put it in and once it pops into place you should be all set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

Actually to add to the problem the top of the stud stripped when I was trying to take it out this past time. I actually think the stud is in far enough now though that even though it's not in as far as the others, it's on far enough that I should be able to attach the new header without an issue (hopefully!).

This whole install as been a b****. I'm currently taking apart the battery box to get enough room to remove the top nut on the mid-pipe collector for the passenger side - it's on there tight!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Before I started my header install, I ordered half a set of spare studs/nuts from Ford. I needed three of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts