Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2014 GT with the six speed select shift auto and I am having problems with the transmission. If I floor the car from a rolling start the transmission gets stuck in neutral between shifting from 2nd to 3rd causing the tach to redline. It is an intermittent problem. Anyone else have this problem or know what the issue is?.

Also I am in Miami but bought the car out of town. Does anyone have recommendations on which dealer has the best service department in my area.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,090 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I moved your thread for a better response.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I just got a new 2014 GT with the six speed select shift auto and I am having problems with the transmission. If I floor the car from a rolling start the transmission gets stuck in neutral between shifting from 2nd to 3rd causing the tach to redline. It is an intermittent problem. Anyone else have this problem or know what the issue is?.

Also I am in Miami but bought the car out of town. Does anyone have recommendations on which dealer has the best service department in my area.
Is this happening is Drive or Sport mode ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I posted a few weeks ago with tranny problems. Mine is a 2011 GT blown with Lund tune and it does the same thing. It did it 3 times last night on the way home from the local car cruise. I replaced the 3 solenoids myself under the TSB that was for 2011 cars but that didn't fix anything. If you bring it to the dealer and they figure it out let me know what it was please! I haven't brought mine to the dealer because of all my mods I figure they'll just blow it off.

thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a few questions that can help us point you in the right direction. This might be a quirk in the factory programming or it could be that there is indeed a problem.

When EXACTLY does it do it? How fast are you going? Does it spin the tires? Is traction/stability control on or off? Can you post a video of it? Does it only do it on the 2-3 shift? Does it happen every time you duplicate the scenario?

I know on my car, sometimes if I go wide open from something like 20mph, which is enough for it to go to first gear, it will spin and hit the limiter for a split second until the computers catch up to what is actually happening compared to what it thought would happen. But, if I go wide open at 50mph it will downshift to second and hit third with no issues.

Let us know a little more info so we can help you out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a few questions that can help us point you in the right direction. This might be a quirk in the factory programming or it could be that there is indeed a problem.

When EXACTLY does it do it? How fast are you going? Does it spin the tires? Is traction/stability control on or off? Can you post a video of it? Does it only do it on the 2-3 shift? Does it happen every time you duplicate the scenario?

I know on my car, sometimes if I go wide open from something like 20mph, which is enough for it to go to first gear, it will spin and hit the limiter for a split second until the computers catch up to what is actually happening compared to what it thought would happen. But, if I go wide open at 50mph it will downshift to second and hit third with no issues.

Let us know a little more info so we can help you out.
Only occurs from a rolling start. If I roll from a stop sign at 5-10, then floor it hard, it slips into neutral between 2nd and 3rd at about 25-30mph. (This speed is approximate because with how fast this car is my eyes are on the road) I have no problems at other speeds or gears. Traction control is always on. It does not spin the tires. It does not happen every time, it is intermittent. It gets stuck in neutral, the tach hits the rev limiter, and the car won't shift unless I take my foot off the gas...which I do immediately anyway because of the rpms. The car is otherwise perfectly drivable, and if I am more gentle on the throttle it shifts fine.

It does not have problems downshifting, it is just the one gear change going up to 3rd.

I am not sure if it is mechanical, or has to do with the electronics in the transmission. I know I need to take it to the dealer, but I want to have an idea what to expect before going in. The car is brand new and I bought it out of town so I don't have a relationship with a ford garage that I trust yet. Does anyone know which ford garage in Miami is the best?

·
Registered
826 Posts
You're fighting two different issues, the rolling stop downshift problem, and the auto not engaging a gear.

The rolling stop issue at low speeds, around 5-15 mph, the car has a delayed throttle, then downshifts into a gear and bucks the car when it grabs 2nd gear. I think the computer has already decided to perform the 2-1 downshift, has dis-engaged 2nd, and is waiting for the car to stop to shift to 1st, yet when you come to a complete stop, it has to re-engage 2nd gear. This has been experienced by many people, including me on my 2012 and 2014 GT's, but I've not heard of anyone getting a solid resolution on this yet. On the other hand, using select shift prevents the annoyance, but you have to perform the upshifts at that point.

The second issue of the automatic failing to engage gear on an upshift is most likely the shift solenoids. To repair, Ford will likely replace the Lead Frame and Shift Solenoids first in attempt to fix the problem, but do not get too excited and expect it to cure problem #1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2013 GT with the auto and have not experienced the same issue, but it does seem like there is a huge ( at least to me ) delay in the downshift and then it only seems to shift into 3rd gear VS shifting into 1st or 2nd depending on how fast I am going. The engine will then hold steady at around 2500 RPM and steadily accelerate. Seems like sloppy factory programming in my case, but yours sounds more like a warranty issue for sure. At higher speeds 50MPH and up the downshift is pretty much immediate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
As long as it is not an actual malfunction going on in the tranny getting a tune from someone who knows how to tune auto 5.0's makes all the difference in the world. On oem and another tune it always felt off. Now it's perfect up and down. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You need to get the hang of how to shift an automatic (without using the select shift).

For best results and performance, smash the throttle all the way down and when the car approaches red line and is about to shift you take your foot completely off the throttle, the car will up shift immediately and when the new gear becomes engaged you smash the throttle back down to the floor again. About a 1 second transition between full throttle, foot off the throttle, and back to full throttle again. It takes practice but when done right you get the best shifts and the best results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts