Ford Mustang Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm confused with what your dealer said. They said there MAY be a tune on the car? They would know in less than a minute after hooking it up if there was a tune on the car or not and they can even tell if there ever was a tune in the past which was then restored with the factory tune.
I would suspect the same thing as you. They may have let the car just sit there and then charged you for a diagnostic fee. My dealer won't charge me anything if they can't find the problem which has happened once before but it was an intermittent issue that wasn't acting up when they had it.

Did you actually mean they couldn't find the P0315 code? Did they provide you with a printout of the scan results or any proof that they did something?
Sorry I meant they couldn't find the P0315 code, they didn't give me any info like a printout or results. They said the car could have bigger cams or aftermarket parts that are causing the car to run like crap. They told me if I leave my car there for another week they could "look" in depth into the engine the "rear end" and see where the aftermarket mods are. At least they didn't charge me anything for whatever they did. I really don't understand it either, I thought they could find out more than it's aftermarket mods. It has Borla cat back and a specter cai, I can't see anything else that's been done, its a very clean car.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,480 Posts
So I rented a high end scanner and my car came up with a p0315 code and said that the crank needs to be re learned. I hooked up my tuner sct x4 and did a crank re learn, it didn't help at all. I then unhooked the battery and re hooked the battery and now the cars seems to run a lot better, but still runs a little rough.
I missed this part of your #13 post. So you have an SCT tuner and if so did it come with the car or did you buy it?
Aftermarket cams are unlikely. If you have a tune on the car then it's probably not a good one for the CAI and/or whatever other mods have been done. Call the Ford dealer back and tell the service manager to ask the mechanic that supposedly did the diagnostic on it if they detected a tune or not. It should be a simple yes or no.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
When I last talked with the dealership I asked about a crank re-learn since the P0315 code was in the history. I went today to get the crank re-learn and 30min later they said it worked the car runs completely different. I drove it and my god that thing was so smooth and all the power was back. I tired doing the crank re-learn on my sct x4 tuner but I never noticed a difference so I doubted it even worked. I want to thank all of you for your help and I'm just so happy to be able to enjoy my mustang again😄😄

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
I tired doing the crank re-learn on my sct x4 tuner but I never noticed a difference so I doubted it even worked. I want to thank all of you for your help and I'm just so happy to be able to enjoy my mustang again😄😄
I've read that sometimes you have to perform the procedure more that once as it doesn't always apply itself on the first attempt. It's never happened to me but there it is...

Congrats, I'm very glad to hear this issue got put to rest. 👍

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
Was this the idle relearn procedure that just clears the KAM?
No…

If you have an SCTX4:

1. Go into the Vehicle Functions option.
2. Then select Special Functions and you will be prompted to turn the key on and continue.
3. From here select the option for Crank Relearn.
4. You will get a Notice about doing this procedure after certain engine repairs, select Continue.
5. Then follow the steps, Step 1 - Make sure no DTC's are present, if non continue. If there are DTC's you would need to clear them first.
6. Step 2 - Return rev limiters to stock. This is not always the case and you can Continue.
7. Step 3 - Start and Idle Engine. Keep the car in neutral and let the engine get to operating temp.
8. Step 4 - Make sure all accessories like A/C, Defroster are turned off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok, so problem not resolved. My car ran really good for about a week or so then I started noticing the idle and higher rpm range running a little rough, so I changed out the plugs again and got new coils. This seemed to help a little but now the car is at a point were its running really bad, a lot of vibration and from some reason it gets really bad at exactly 2100rpm, this happens in neutral too. I feel like the pcm is fried. I have tested the signal on the KPS, the wiring and all good, I feel like the pcm should be telling me what the issue is. In my head I think ok I checked the fuel pressure, I've got good MAF sensor, clean throttle body, no leaks, new plugs, new coils, new Crank Position sensor, so I'm down to PCM.

·
Registered
846 Posts
So no codes are being set?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
KPS, Sorry Crankshaft positions sensor. The codes are current one, U0401-81- Invalid Data received from ECM/PCM A, U0197-00- Lost communication with telephone control module Not current DTC.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
did you ever figure out what mods the car has, and what tune it has to go with those mods?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
KPS, Sorry Crankshaft positions sensor. The codes are current one, U0401-81- Invalid Data received from ECM/PCM A, U0197-00- Lost communication with telephone control module Not current DTC.
CKP sensor or CKPS is more appropriate and all I think I've ever seen it referred to as well.

The U0197-00 code is a Telephone Control Module(TCM) issue. I think the TCM is just a radio/media connectivity module. Usually a bad ground, poor connection, or wiring issue is the cause. Very rarely the module itself is the problem. The 00 subcode is more specific if you look in a Ford code manual in the electrical service manual for the 2014 Mustang. This code is not in and of itself the cause of your car running poorly though since this TCM isn't a powertrain module. However, if the ground or power source that it shares is with something else that is a powertrain related module then these could be related.

The U0401-81 code is more important. This code is a PCM communication issue but looks like it it is associated with the IPC(instrument panel cluster). I found very little about this code but another site talked about it on a 2014 GT like yours: Anyone have a U0401:81 fault code? | SVTPerformance.com
This is apparently right from the 2014 Ford Mustang service manual:
U0401:81 Invalid Data Received from the ECM /PCM A: Invalid Serial Data Received
This DTC is set when the IPC receives invalid network data for 5 seconds or more from the PCM for the engine oil temperature and the inlet air temperature data. RETRIEVE and REPAIR all non-network DTCs in the PCM and other modules on the network. REFER to Section 419-10.
The 81 subcode will have specific troubleshooting instructions in a Ford electrical service manual. There'll be a pinpoint test associated with it.
Again, corrosion on a connector, wire issue, short, bad fuse, or bad ground can be the cause of this. The PCM itself is very rarely the issue.

Fix the TCM code issue first and see if it resolves the problem. At least see if there's a correlation in the wiring from the TCM to something more critical in a wiring diagram.

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
The U0401-81 code is more important. This code is a PCM communication issue but looks like it it is associated with the IPC(instrument panel cluster). I found very little about this code but another site talked about it on a 2014 GT like yours: Anyone have a U0401:81 fault code? | SVTPerformance.com
I had this code. As you can see I was the last person to post in the SVTP thread you listed. A Ford engineer worked with the tech. who was diagnosing mine. The final outcome was that the code is inconsequential. It’s apparently a communication timing issue with the IPC. I was told to ignore it, because it will eventually sync-up and just disappear one day. It took several months, but that’s exactly what happened in my case. It’s fully expected it will happen again at some future point, especially after disconnecting the battery. It’s been gone for a very long time now, but if it comes back, I’ll ignore it as long as the car is running correctly.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I had this code. As you can see I was the last person to post in the SVTP thread you listed. A Ford engineer worked with the tech. who was diagnosing mine. The final out come was that the code is inconsequential. It’s apparently a communication timing issue with the IPC. I was told to ignore it, because it will eventually sync-up and just disappear one day. It took several months, but that’s exactly what happened in my case. It’s fully expected it will happen again at some future point, especially after disconnecting the battery. It’s been gone for a very long time now, but if it comes back, I’ll ignore it as long as the car is running correctly.
Wow, that was you in that last post. I didn't notice that.
Being that the OP has another odd and obscure code with the TCM I would bet that maybe it's correlated. Canbus wiring or connection issues are usually attributed to both of these codes but since the U0401 is more of a general code I would think that maybe he has some sort of issue with the TCM.
I wonder if he's had problems with his hands free connection since that seems to be one of the things that the TCM is responsible for.
I'm really thinking that he has a bad or corrupted tune in his car though. There's no powertrain codes being set even though he obviously has issues going on.

·
Administrator
4,815 Posts
I don’t know, it’s beyond me. Mine was first noticed when a crank position sensor, wiring connector, got damaged. I started getting camshaft position sensor error codes. During chasing this down, I noticed this U-Code. Fixing the CKP connector was no big deal, but I had angst when I couldn’t solve the U code, so off to Ford I went.

I was told that the CKP wiring issue and disconnecting the battery likely caused the U code to trigger. However, with that problem eliminated, it would eventually go away on it’s own. It did just that.

The code can be cleared, but it will come back after shutting down, and restarting. Apparently there is a handshake that takes place, and the code will be stored until a successful number of handshakes happen without issue. It’s beyond my own technical knowledge, so I have only the word of Ford to go on.

I don’t know how factual any of that information is, but it did go away on it’s own. The code doesn’t even appear on a regular code scanner. You have to use a scanner that supports extended functionality to read IPC codes.

Since I can’t say with authoritative confidence that the information is all correct, I decided not to post my resolution in the referenced thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I did have a friend who has a triton d8 scanner come over and he checked the signal to the coils and said that it was firing intermittently "new coils", then he tried the Vct for a signal and nothing at idle or revving the engine, so I put new ones in and nothing changed. I'm not sure what could be causing this but there doesn't seem to be any codes that would suggest to a bad component, so could it be a bad ground?

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Put the factory tune back on the car and see if it clears this up.
but you'll also need to install the factory intake, unless that Airaid CAI is the one that does not require a tune . . . if you try to run the car with an intake that requires a tune, with the factory tune, that will cause other problems that will make it all even more confusing and harder to sort out

21 - 40 of 56 Posts