Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just installed a Airaid cai and the Sct x4 tuner. I drove around for about 30 miles and the check engine light came on. I used the tuner and it came up with the code P0171 Bank 1 lean. Was curious if anyone had any suggestions on how to resolve the issue. Is it bad to drive around like this in the mean time ? I have a 2014 mustang gt
Thank you

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
First -- does that CAI require a tune? Many of them do, because the mass air flow metering section (tube) is larger diameter than stock, which means the tune must be adjusted, if not corrected the MAF (mass air flow) signals to the computer will be wrong (computer thinks less air is coming in than actually is coming in) and the car will run lean as a result.

Next -- what tune did you load from the SCT? Did you make the adjustment for the correct CAI, meaning the one that you have? Different intakes have different tube diameters and that is why you must use the right one, or one that has the same tube diameter as yours. I believe you can select/adjust the CAI in the tuner before you load the tune, but I haven't done it myself so not sure exactly how the device presents the choices. If you are using the tunes that come with the SCT, I have heard they are not very good, and I don't know which CAI's are supported. You probably need to get someone to write a tune for your car with the correct intake adjustments.

I would avoid driving it until the issue is corrrected, if you do drive it, go very easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First -- does that CAI require a tune? Many of them do, because the mass air flow metering section (tube) is larger diameter than stock, which means the tune must be adjusted, if not corrected the MAF (mass air flow) signals to the computer will be wrong (computer thinks less air is coming in than actually is coming in) and the car will run lean as a result.

Next -- what tune did you load from the SCT? Did you make the adjustment for the correct CAI, meaning the one that you have? Different intakes have different tube diameters and that is why you must use the right one, or one that has the same tube diameter as yours. I believe you can select/adjust the CAI in the tuner before you load the tune, but I haven't done it myself so not sure exactly how the device presents the choices. If you are using the tunes that come with the SCT, I have heard they are not very good, and I don't know which CAI's are supported. You probably need to get someone to write a tune for your car with the correct intake adjustments.

I would avoid driving it until the issue is corrrected, if you do drive it, go very easy.
I bought the package deal that included the airaid cai and the sct x4 from American muscle. It does require and tune and proved them with aftermarket parts including the new cai. So they sent me the tuner downloads a few days later. I’m using the 93 race tune that they provided. So I’m not sure if there’s a way to check the tuner to see if they added the correct cai.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
sounds like you will need to call Bama/American Muscle, tell them about the problem, and ask them to fix the tune; hopefully they will send you a new one promptly that will resolve the problem

unfortunately this kind of problem seems to be more common with Bama/AM lately, if they can't fix it you might want to send the whole thing back for a refund, and then work with someone else who can provide a correct tune . . . or you might end up paying someone else for a good tune

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
sounds like you will need to call Bama/American Muscle, tell them about the problem, and ask them to fix the tune; hopefully they will send you a new one promptly that will resolve the problem

unfortunately this kind of problem seems to be more common with Bama/AM lately, if they can't fix it you might want to send the whole thing back for a refund, and then work with someone else who can provide a correct tune . . . or you might end up paying someone else for a good tune
Yeah I guess that’s seems like the only solution now. I emailed them Sunday and still haven’t gotten an email back. I guess I’ll try to find a number to call. Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts