Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please point me in the right direction on this? 2014 with less than 50k miles started slowly dripping red fluid today. ECU isn't pushing any codes. I'm not really sure where to start. The leak is in a weird spot where I can't see the actual leak spot from underneath the car or from the engine bay. I'd say it drips 5x a minute.

IMG_20200819_182315.jpg IMG_20200819_182306.jpg IMG_20200819_182250.jpg IMG_20200819_182245.jpg

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That's a tough one. Have you checked your fluid levels? Have you pushed some paper towels into the area to soak up some of the fluid, so you can inspect/identify it?

I invested in one of those borescope inspection cameras that plug into my cell phone, for situations such as this. Total investment of less than $20 on Amazon. I also saw some that had a monitor attached.
Good luck with your search.

Reactions: David Young

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not checked fluid levels yet. Any tips on where to check each? I actually have one of those cameras and posted this thread while I was waiting for the battery to charge (it has a wifi connection so the camera doesn't need to be attached to your phone) haha. I'm going back to investigate further with the camera now. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Great to hear that you are prepared. When I say fluid levels, I was referring to power steering, oil, and transmission. Wishing you success with your repair.

Reactions: Beechkid

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Great to hear that you are prepared. When I say fluid levels, I was referring to power steering, oil, and transmission. Wishing you success with your repair.
My 1st gut swag is it is either the tranny pan gasket, tranny oil cooler line or tranny pump seal.... but power steering system is also a possibility

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the power steering system have a completely different "fluid system" from the tranny fluid and coolant? I've been looking through the shop manual for my car and can't honestly find a good diagram or explanation of each "fluid system" in the engine bay.

I don't think it is the tranny pan gasket. If I understand correctly where that is located, there is no fluid leaking from that spot. Do you happen to have a diagram to where the tranny oil cooler line runs?

Maybe I'm just being overly hopeful, but I think the issue resides with the power steering system. The leak is coming from somewhere in between the motor and front bumper (if that makes sense). Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Does the power steering system have a completely different "fluid system" from the tranny fluid and coolant?
Answer: The power steering fluid and tranny fluid are the same. Coolant is different

I don't think it is the tranny pan gasket. If I understand correctly where that is located?
Answer: There is a permanent/reusable gasket that is in-between the the tranny pan and the transmission case.

Do you happen to have a diagram to where the tranny oil cooler line runs?
Answer: No, but if you look at the radiator both at the top and the bottom you will see where the transmission cooler lines are connected and run back to the transmission

Maybe I'm just being overly hopeful, but I think the issue resides with the power steering system. The leak is coming from somewhere in between the motor and front bumper (if that makes sense). Thoughts?
Answer: Could be either the power steering or trans cooler lines

Reactions: retarget

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We don't have power steering on 2011+ Mustangs, Just electric steering. It must be your water pump going bad. Very common on our V6's :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We don't have power steering on 2011+ Mustangs, Just electric steering. It must be your water pump going bad. Very common on our V6's :(
Thank you! I've been out of state since I posted this and haven't gotten a chance to look at this again. I will investigate this first once I'm back in town. That's pretty pathetic that a water pump fails after < 50k miles.

So after reviewing all the diagrams and stuff I think the gasket seal around my water pump is bad. I could probably get away with removing the cover, gooping on some RTV, then popping it back in- but if I'm going to dump a gallon of coolant on the floor and go through all the trouble, I just purchased a whole new water pump.
For anyone else that comes across this thread, I've set my notes and links to "shared view" for you. I rarely remove things from Google Drive so hopefully, it will help someone else out years down the road and the link should still be active.
Water Pump Notes

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ford has a $25 hose with a check valve in it. It is supposed to keep air from going to the water pump to keep it from burning up. I have read of one person who had their water pump go bad with this hose :(. I installed the hose and here is a Thread I started on another Mustang Forum with the part number and pictures :). Click on this link to read about it Maybe a Heads Up - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Reactions: retarget

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ford has a $25 hose with a check valve in it. It is supposed to keep air from going to the water pump to keep it from burning up. I have read of one person who had their water pump go bad with this hose :(. I installed the hose and here is a Thread I started on another Mustang Forum with the part number and pictures :). Click on this link to read about it Maybe a Heads Up - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
I saw this is on one comment on a YouTube video, but a PN wasn't provided and I'm not physically there with my car to investigate the issue, so I didn't order the part. Thank you for this. I will order that part now so when I'm back with my car I can investigate and will replace this before I dig into replacing the entire pump.

From what I saw, the coolant was running from the pump gasket, but it very well could be that it was simply running down from the hose. I appreciate your comment!

edit- It looks like I should replace this hose regardless- but I will obviously start with this first. I don't see any check valve on the hose though :unsure:. To me it looks like the exact same hose. Could you elaborate on that?

edit 2- I can't find it cheaper than $50 with shipping. Is it really worth it?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The Check valve prevents the pump from sucking air back into the pump, if it sucks air in it cavitates and also loses its lubrication from the Coolant causing the seal to go bad and for your engine to get air in the system allowing hot spots. So is it worth it I would say yes but that is just my Opinion.
I would really make sure the pump is not bad, the weep hole can cause it to look like it is leaking from the gasket.
Here is the hose, actual picture if the band is not there it doesn't have the check valve

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm afraid your right on the price going up :(. I gave $20 something for mine. I think the Ford dealer I ordered my hose from have them for $68.72 :(. Sad the hear this, this hose should have been add to all V6 Mustangs after the first year when Ford knew the 3.7 water pumps were having problems :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and mention that I really appreciate it. I replaced the coolant pump and haven't driven much, but in the ~20 miles I did drive since replacing the pump, historic fault codes are gone and I have zero coolant leaks. I am waiting for the hose with check valve to arrive still so haven't swapped that out yet. David Y, especially, thank you. If I could buy you a beer I would.

Everyone that contributed to this thread saved me a lot of money and for that I'm grateful.

Stay safe and healthy Yall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Follow up- replaced check valve hose and drove 100 miles. I've had zero issues. Thank you again, everyone.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Happy for you fixing your problem :)

Reactions: ONEZ ST
1 - 17 of 17 Posts