Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is the 4 cylinder section makes you wonder.
2015 Ford Mustang: The .99 Challenge - YouTube
Video from Ford Racing. Shows the 3 engine models.
The 2.3 starts at 2.05 in the video if want to jump to it.
Now if only get a crate engine for mine.
Maurice

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I want to see some ecoboost swaps into the fox bodies. Should be quicker with the weight advantage.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that is reason I made the statement. "Now if only get a crate engine for mine." But my understanding people still waiting for standalone for the new ecoboost crate engines. Hint, Hint, Ford could learn from any mfg of the support they have for their engines. No wonder so many are in Mustangs and other cars. My Rant. Maurice

·
Registered
621 Posts
I want to see some Ecoboost swaps into the fox bodies. Should be quicker with the weight advantage.

Well yeah but...

I too am curious about the performance potential of the the Duratec based engines, which the Ecoboosted engines
evolved from. Ford seems to be morphing this engine platform on a continual basis, which makes me think that
finding parts for them in the near future will be impossible, especially when you throw in it's Mazda variants; the image gets really fuzzy.

I'm sure that tuner shops are all ready strapping these engines to the dyno, trying to figure out how much room is left for HP improvements. From my viewpoint, the buy in price for all of this tech is sizable
and looking at it strictly from a HP per dollar value, it doesn't seem all that attractive to me, especially since the
fitment to a Fox body platform requires a lot of effort.

I would think older versions of the Duratec 2.5L might be a better platform to work with for someone to seriously consider a swap, given its larger displacement and wider availability.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't be doing anything. I have a big enough headache and lack of time on a swap now. 3.2 SHO in a 93 Vert. Maurice

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a big enough headache and lack of time on a swap now. 3.2 SHO in a 93 Vert

Yeah, I can only imagine. Maybe the Duratec swap doesn’t look so hard after all.
How close are you on the SHO project?

But my understanding people still waiting for standalone for the new ecoboost crate engines.
Hmmm, that’s going to be a tuff one there. I doubt there’s much HP room left in the stock Ecoboost injectors, plus high pressure direct injectors can’t be cheap either. Then you’d have to sort through the wiring, pump and fuel lines…see where I’m going with this?
To me, it would make more sense to use a 02’-up Ranger Duratec 2.3 drive train, which might be the easiest and most cost effective way to swap to this engine platform. Then use the typical 2.3 turbo, old school engine management system with your favorite tuning apparatus; EEC tuner, ¼ Horse, PIMP etc. with decent aftermarket injectors and turbo. I could see this as a viable option for older Mustangs. Granted, you wouldn’t have direct injectors, but I would think most of us would still be very satisfied with the overall performance. Check out the Duratec Ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3u-E8KiXZo

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i work at a place where the new cars are unloaded from train cars. I see new Camaros, challengers, chargers, explorers, trucks and now especially mustangs. ive been a mustang enthusiast for most of my life. its nice to see the new ones sitting in the lot waiting to go to dealerships. I was very curious about the: A new look and :B the engine choices. the new platform has really grown on me and there is one in almost redfire that im going to park mine next to and snap some pics. that being said, I just read an article that the new ecoboost 2.3 puts out the same hp and a few more lb of torque than the v6. which is quite a feat as the 93 dual plug 2.3 was 108 hp on a good day and at high rpm. the 1974 2.3 was 88 hp in a pintostang. ive lost my train of thought but the new mustang is badass in any form

·
Registered
621 Posts
"the new mustang is badass in any form"
Yeah, have to agree, especially for the money when compared to similar offerings.

The 93 dual plug 2.3 was 108 hp on a good day and at high rpm.
Very true, but it's hard to draw a comparison between the N/A motor and a turbo motor. Numerous dyno sessions have shown that both the SVO Mustang and Thunderbird turbo coupe, could manage 215-220 HP in factory trim and they did that with a 2-1/4" exhaust and a very restrictive converter. We know today that Ford's management wasn't terribly interested in tapping the full potential of their earlier turbo 4, but it seems like they finally wised up with this new model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts