Ford Mustang Forum banner

2015 GT AOD Shift Points

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  scott_0 
#1 ·
Need help!. I have a 2015 GT 5.0 with AOD. I went for the AOD over manual since I commute 60+ miles per day in sometimes knarly traffic jams. Anyway, I am not too happy with the AOD shift points in normal D mode. For the 5.0, the shift points are way too early for normal driving. The tranny wants to get up to overdrive too early unless I get aggressive on the throttle. Going 35-40 the engine is way-bogged down running at about 1200-1300 RPM. Gentle acceleration is met with a low growl and no-power less I push into the pedal and force a downshift or manually paddle shift down a gear or two.

At 45-50, the car wants to be in 6th with very little throttle responsiveness. It really should be in 5th. 6th should be reserved for 55 and above.

I know there are Sport Modes and Ive tried them. They are great when I want to have some spirited fun. The higher RPM upshifts are cool and the "manual-like" downshifts are interesting. But I don't want to do that for everyday commuting.

Ive rented V-6 and Ecoboost AOD Mustangs on business trips and think they shift much better than my V-8 AOD.

I suppose Ford did this to eek out the MPG required, but the car feels like my father's Oldsmobile sometimes and when I want it to go I find myself pushing into the throttle more than I think I need to.

Ive heard there are tunes for this, either BAMA, SCT or a custom tune could address shift points. But everything I read about these tunes make shift points "crisp" and "race-like". Im not looking to chirp 2nd gear or mimic a manual tranny. I am looking for better matched RPM ranges for Normal driving experience. Slightly later shift points, and less of a desire for the car to rush to overdrive (6th). I also wonder if there is a tuner option where I could set my own shift points EASILY. I don't want to screw anything up with the tranny. But I feel the adjustments Im seeking are minor but would make a big difference addressing my issue.

I'd appreciate any guidance or posts on this.

See less See more
#3 ·
Agreed most automatics are like this and will just get worse as 8 and 10 speeds come out. Wish we could lock out 5th & 6th for around town.

What I do is hit the paddle shift minus while in D to get a quick downshift instead of leaving it in sport all the time.

#4 ·
its the nature of the beast, its to improve fuel economy, it annoys me how quickly it shifts through the gears as well, especially 1st to 2nd, I like rolling into the throttle hard in 1st, it quickly shifts into 2nd, only option is to use the paddle shifters. have you thought about a tune? Im sure it would be more aggressive than stock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.