Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed this slight rattling noise that seems to be coming from under the car kinda on and off from time to time, but now I'm hearing it more often.

The best way to make it happen is when idling, give it just a blip of the throttle to give it like 1200-1500ish rpms and then let off and you can hear it rattle, and then stop. When you just get on it and are pedal to them metal you don't hear it, and of course when driving you can't really hear it over the road noise. Not sure what it is.

Anyone else had this issue at all?

I'm gonna run it through the dealer tomorrow after C&C to have them look at it, needs an oil change anyways, and I want them to unbolt the sound tube because I got tired of having everyone I could find trying to reach it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update on this:

Finally it started rattling every time I drove it. So I drove it to the dealer, left it running, had the service guy listen to it, he got a mechanic to come out and listen to it rattle, so now we all know it rattles.

I leave it there, they look through the exhaust and everything and can't find where it's coming from but they can definitely hear it. They think it might be something inside the resonator box but are not sure so they have sent a message up to Ford to try and get more info and help diagnosing the rattling noise. Will probably not know more until Monday at least.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update again:

Dealer says they talked to Ford. Didn't say what the issue was but that Ford has informed them there is a new resonator and muffler type available, and they will be replacing the whole exhaust.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got my car back.

According to the paperwork, the resonator box failed causing the rattle/tick noise from under the car. They got an updated part version from Ford and replaced the whole cat back exhaust assembly with a new one.

My car was built in February, so I don't know if they updated after that or if I just got a bad one or something, but if anyone else hears a loud metallic rattle or tick from under their car and you are running the stock exhaust, have them check the resonator box for failures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts