Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I noticed today that my new supercharged mustang gt has 255 tires all the way around. My old 300hp camaro had 275's. Should I lol at putting 275 or even 315 in the rear to help with traction? Would I need wider rims/speedo tune?

What are you guys running for tire setups?

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Stagger is nice

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hello. I noticed today that my new supercharged mustang gt has 255 tires all the way around. My old 300hp camaro had 275's. Should I lol at putting 275 or even 315 in the rear to help with traction? Would I need wider rims/speedo tune?

What are you guys running for tire setups?
Regardless about the facts around your supercharged mustang gt, it will be hard to recommend any tire without knowing the details of the wheels you have on your supercharged mustang gt.

If you have 255's, I would assume the wheel is 9" wide, and probably 19" in diameter. In that case, the widest tire you can fit on a 9" wide wheel are 275's. While a 275 will increase your grip, mounting them on a 9" wheel will reduce the handing response of your car overall. Wider rubber, such as a 315 tire, requires a 10.5" wheel.

I would drop a little money and get wider wheels and wider rubber all around, because if you are going to be driving a 600hp+ Mustang GT on the street will little technical knowledge of what you're getting into, grip is the first thing you need to address.

Good luck with your supercharged mustang gt.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Scratch that, before you spend any money, reading your other posts on other threads, you need to spend a few months seriously educating yourself about cars and Mustangs.

One does not just buy a 600hp+ Mustang and start driving it around like it's any other car in the parking lot without some knowledge of the cars tires, wheels, brakes, suspension, grip, engines, options, etc...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the car has 19 inch wheels on it.

So you think the handling will decrease with wider tires?

In regards to education about this particular mustang, that's why I'm here looking to learn from others on this mustang. Each car handles differently

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would like to do wider tires on the rear of mine as well. I was behind it the other day and it looked like it was screaming for some wider meats....

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Yes the car has 19 inch wheels on it.

So you think the handling will decrease with wider tires?

In regards to education about this particular mustang, that's why I'm here looking to learn from others on this mustang. Each car handles differently
I think what KN7671 was saying about handling response being decreased was if using the 9" rims. I'm running 275 20's all around with 10" rims and handles great. Also have the full Roush suspension and UHP Cooper tires. As someone mentioned, need a more complete package to take advantage of all the HP. The 670 HP Roush also comes with Ford Racing half shafts.
Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think what KN7671 was saying about handling response being decreased was if using the 9" rims. I'm running 275 20's all around with 10" rims and handles great. Also have the full Roush suspension and UHP Cooper tires. As someone mentioned, need a more complete package to take advantage of all the HP. The 670 HP Roush also comes with Ford Racing half shafts.
Dave
Thanks Dave!

I'm researching tires now, because I want to get around 700hp range, and when it comes time to needing new tires may get rims/tires off tire rack or something.

Are the Nitto 555R's still a popular choice for street occasional strip cars?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Dave!

I'm researching tires now, because I want to get around 700hp range, and when it comes time to needing new tires may get rims/tires off tire rack or something.

Are the Nitto 555R's still a popular choice for street occasional strip cars?
Personally, I would contact Hennessey Racing and Roush to find out what tire and wheel size they are using in their 774 HP, 200 MPH Mustang, and 747 HP respectively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts