Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been searching for months for definitive information about the best lubricant for our 6 MTs. I was also dealing with the syncronizer "nibble" in the tranny especially when cold. By cold I mean the car hasn't been driven, but ambient temperature in the 70's. It was obviously a fluid issue because it gets better (not gone) when warmed up. As everyone knows a lot of opinions are out there. It was not technique, shifter linkage, body mount shifter etc. It was a matter of inappropriate lubrication. I have always been a synthetic oil guy, and change over the engines and entire drivelines after break-in. I am aware that the driveline on these comes factory filled with synthetic, but also felt Ford had only two options available, and neither was the correct answer for this transmission.
Long story short I just switched to Amsoil MTF and a bottle of Motorcraft XL-18 additive for good measure. The difference is very noticeable. It feels more cushioned, smoother, quieter and no nibble. When it's cold, it can't be rushed, but even cold there is an astounding difference. Once through the gears a time or two it is night and day...I would recommend this to everyone. The QDC from factory never felt right. Amsoil MTF does. Given the finicky history of this MT-82 I plan on about 30K drain intervals. But I can't stress enough how much better this tranny feels using it. I did a lot of research before making this successful leap of faith including talking to Amsoil (who won't PUBLICLY recommend an oil) and speaking with a person who has built many Getrag MT-82s. Everyone pointed me to Amsoil MTF. This is my .02¢ and I'm not interested in hearing warranty concerns, TSB's, website recommendations etc...just wanted to offer solid first hand experience. Do what you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We recently had a customer put Mobil 1 Mercon V ATF in their unit along with a quart of Syngear II. They said the transmission never shifted smoother, even when brand new off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I added the XL-18 to the factory fill and it made a huge difference most noticeably when cold. Glides in and out of gear now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts