Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new on the forum and I had a question on Airaid intakes. So far it is the only cold air I have found not requiring a tune. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Any recommendations ? Any technical info on whether this intake increase performance? Thank You
James

·
Registered
956 Posts
Welcome, this is the pushrod 5.0 section, you'll want to ask the guys in the S550 section, just give it time and someone will likely move your post to the correct place. Good luck with the intake!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
39,995 Posts
Welcome to the site!! Thread moved.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hey everyone I'm new on the forum and I had a question on Airaid intakes. So far it is the only cold air I have found not requiring a tune. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Any recommendations ? Any technical info on whether this intake increase performance? Thank You
James
Hey Super,

I am a huge fan of the Airaid Cold Air Intake myself and would highly recommend them!

They install easily, look great, and make awesome power!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't buy an intake if you don't plan on tuning. Also I recommend the Steeda

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't waste your $$$. Other than the admitted Kool look when you open the hood, the stock Cold Air box is perfect. Over n over again it has been proven there is no noticeable increase in hp. Just get a good tune and then if you want to spend needless bucks go for the CAB. Your hp gain is all in a good tune.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Roush uses a completely closed airbox getting all their air from the same port as the stock Ford and makes 650 horse power. Meaning the closed lid and front port do NOT limit hp. With a tune a larger intake tube from the air box to the throttle body might help if you have the tune to makes use of it but not necessarily. Ford did a remarkable job with the stock air box.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If a panel filter was so efficient at high air flow they would of used it on the z28 right? All cars are different. Some cars gain all over the power band from obtaining a higher flowing air source. Cone filters are popular for flowing at higher rates, hence why the 2014 z28 camaro uses it stock, why? cause the z28 is a track car. Most cars come oem with panel filters, because they do a better job at filtering the dirt out of the air than the cone of course but limiting air flow. People have tuned a stock air box 5.0, then added a cai and tuned it again and from their base line with the stock airbox picked up 8-12 rwhp peak, and picked up all over the power band. For the cai to be better it has to be designed right and needs cold air with out being overcome by higher IAT's from the engine bay. The cold airs that pull from the oem air box inlet from the grill, and seal against the hood completely is what will be the best performance wise.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
AirAid is a good product. Feeling the added power without a tune you probably won't gain enough if anything to notice. I'd drive the car for a while to figure out where I would want to improve the car for what I want. Tires, shifter, etc.

Pete

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The reason that a CAI requires a tune is that the air tube, that runs from the filter to the throttle body, is a different inside diameter then the stock system. That means that the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor needs a different calibration table, in the tune, so the ECU knows how much airlflow to command through the throttle body damper. It really doesn't have anything to do with making more - or less - HP then the stock system. If the airflow sensor table, in the tune,isn't calibrated for the new diameter air tube there is a danger of the engine running "lean (with engine burning hot) ." If the airflow tube diameter is larger then the stock system, the MAF sensor will under report the air flowing through the tube (If the tube is larger then stock - even if the total air is the same as that from the stock system - the same airflow has a lower velocity yielding lower MAF report).

·
Registered
232 Posts
In just comparing the size of the 15 airbox to the 11-14's it looks a lot smaller. Maybe it's just a lot deeper?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts