Ford Mustang Forum banner

2015 Mustang GT Impressions

2495 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  konabluev6
Let me state up front that I have 2012 GT Prem Convertible Silver that is somewhat unique in styling in that it has the Bermbo package and CA Special front end for what I think is a very clean looking mustang. (see pic). I prefer the more squared off front end (10/11/12) as opposed to the more rounded GT500/13/14.

I sat in several GT's and started one, but didn't test drive as they didn't have performance package vehicle other than a customers that was hands off.

In general I was impressed. Overall the exterior looks much better in person than on the web for both the coupe and convert! Very clean looking, no fake gas cap, not crazy about the leds, but it is growing on me. Luv the back end, especially on the coupe and front is growing on me, although not sure about the hood vents (glad they are functional at least), but overall was pleasantly surprised with exterior. Very much 'mustangish', which again was a surprise. I do wish the that GT performance package offered an option for wheels with machined aluminum look other than just gloss black (I imagine the 6 piston brembos create some dust). Personally I would probably go with green, grey, or silver, but they all looked good, including the yellow. If I had to choose today I would go with guard green, although I haven't seen one yet.

As to the interior, it is an upgrade from the 11/12/13/14 GT Premiums, but still a step down (big) from higher end vehicles and I thought they could have done more especially with the highest gt premium option. The 15 has more real aluminum, better plastic, the seats are significantly better, and Ford fixed two of my biggest issues, seat memory and soft material on the top of the door panel, but would have preferred leather as opposed to soft rubber material. Cup holder and shifters are in a better position, although I miss the door to close the off the cup holder space. I do like the room in front of the shifter for phone, etc and sun glass holder (pop out left of the steering wheel) is cool. Also, similar to previous models the coupe back seat is useless except for small kids and the convert is actually functional for short trips.

So would I upgrade to the 2015? Probably not now due to it being the first model year and it appears to be a small step back in performance (although until I drive one will reserve judgement but the tests to date seem pretty clear). If I needed another car and I may, I wouldn't hesitate to get a 15 mustang coupe. I will be watching to what performance mods will do in terms of handling and frpp tune. One performance option, I really wish they would offer a high end push button adaptive sport/normal/comfort suspension, which looks like will be in the GT350 and so maybe an option on a GT one day.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Funny, this was my exact impression of the new 5.0 too. Exterior wise, Ford nailed it. Classic blend of Mustang mixed in with the European flair. It's very Audi A5- like exterior wise, and that's a good thing to me. The only thing about it is that it needs a better grille. It just looks so empty up front.

Interior wise, I do think it's an improvement over the 11-14 generation, but not as drastic as people claim to be. Better materials, sure. But it wasn't leaps and bounds better like people over on the Mustang G6 forum are talking about. But I def love it though and think it's a comfortable place to be. The only thing that deteriorated over the S197 model is rear headroom. I don't think any adult over 5'9 could fit back there and be comfortable with your head hitting the glass.

I like the car, but the power felt relatively the same as my 5.0. Handling was a bit better and the suspension was much improved over the S197. But would I upgrade to a 2015 now? Nah....I think I'll wait a few years for the 2016's to be used and then strike then.
Funny, this was my exact impression of the new 5.0 too. Exterior wise, Ford nailed it. Classic blend of Mustang mixed in with the European flair. It's very Audi A5- like exterior wise, and that's a good thing to me. The only thing about it is that it needs a better grille. It just looks so empty up front.
Let me chime in - As a guy from Europe living in Poland I think Ford lost it. Now 2015 does not look as an American muscle/pony car. It is more like a stepsister to Audi A5 coupe or M3/M4. What I like about my 2008 GT Premium is this pure American feeling of power and sort of rawness. I cannot imagine safety pins on the hood of 2015, as I have'em on mine :grin:

Reactions: Cem Sengul
Let me chime in - As a guy from Europe living in Poland I think Ford lost it. Now 2015 does not look as an American muscle/pony car. It is more like a stepsister to Audi A5 coupe or M3/M4. What I like about my 2008 GT Premium is this pure American feeling of power and sort of rawness. I cannot imagine safety pins on the hood of 2015, as I have'em on mine :grin:

Funny you say that... I saw a White GT the other day that was kind of riced out but it had hood pins on it! It actually didn't look bad IMHO... Now the SHO emblem he had on the trunk and the oddly placed decals and stripes were ugly but the hood pins weren't bad.
I have the last 4 generations of Mustangs, I love them all and really enjoy driving each of them every time. Despite the differences they all have a Mustang DNA. This is just a personal opinion on each generation compared to the rest, for a regularly driven car (i.e. street driven, daily or weekend, not a racer):

2015 GT. Definitely the best ride quality Mustang ever, very taut, very precise, interiors are awesome. Not the most powerful of my GTs though. Interior space feels cramped and I´m a 5.7" tall person. The more I look at this car the more I fall in love with it. Looks are subjective, I for once think the 2015 is a great looking car from every angle. Engine sound is boring for a Mustang (needs something more throaty, like a Borla system). This car drives awesome in the curves, excellent handling, inspires confidence, easy to drive.

2014 GT Convertible. More powerful than the 2015 in normal driving conditions (slight difference but you can feel it in your back when pushing both cars), awesome looks also, interior I think is actually of very good quality except for door panels and center console, interior design is gorgeous in my opinion, very retro. Engine sound is awesome. Worst ride quality of my 4 cars (not because its the convertible, I also had a 2010 GT and V8 and they were even worse). Bouncy and loose rear end, floaty nose on high speeds.

2003 GT New Edge. Engine is out of date in terms of power, so its not fair to compare to the new ones, it feels like a turtle in comparison. I absolutely love the looks of this car, I love its smaller size, its agile and nimble, handles very well, it rides better than the S197s, its not bouncy at all. It also needs a Borla system if you want a good engine sound. Interior is cheap, poorly assembled, seats are not comfortable.

80s Fox Mustang. The Mustang of my childhood, the one to blame for my love of these cars. I also love the vintage 80s look (its a 4 eye car), its very light weight, comfortable ride, not bouncy or harsh, perfect size car, just like the new edge. Its slow as hell but that old 5.0 sounds like magic with the correct headers and exhaust

They are all Mustangs, neither is a perfect car, all of them are awesome cars!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.