Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 mustang gt 5.0 but its nearly stock but thinking of trading up to a 2015 mustang gt come summer time. But I do live in Canada and I want to supercharge a 2015 mustang gt do you think with studded winter tires I could drive it in winter with 600 horsepower if I kept my foot out of it and turned the boost way down? ive seen a few guys in Edmonton driving supercharged Camaro ZL1's and they have 580 horsepower.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do you think there's some reason why it wouldn't work?

And if you can afford to buy a brand new Mustang, and super-charge it, you can afford a winter beater.

·
Registered
82 Posts
you obviously dont know the thrill of driving in the snow in a mustang.

This winter has been one of the most memorable winters of my life..

Im on 4.10 with summer tires and race tune, my car would only go straight if the whole rear was kicked out!!

it is a **** load of fun not knowing will this be the last time your going to be alive or wondering if your tires will keep sliding after you hit the brakes and wonder.. "am i going to hit the guy in front of me?"

anyways you should be fine on winter tires...so far ive survived

·
Registered
688 Posts
Supercharged Mustang + Snow = Snow blower?

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Lets see here, the key concepts for a snow acclimated vehicle (IMHO)

1; Tall skinny tires to cut through the snow
2: Lots of weight on the drive wheels
3: Low torque

Yeah, that sounds like a blown mustang all right

(sarcasim with a smile) plus1..gif

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The first car that I have garaged during the winter: a 662hp GT500. I'm not even going to take a chance of losing control of it. The summer tires during 50 degree weather is bad enough. I am NOT putting studded tires on it so I can beat it during the winter. I put all season tires and wheels on it just so I can drive in colder weather during October and early November without snow. It's hard enough driving my 2001 Mustang V6 AT around during this epic winter. We are at 3 feet and counting!.

Pete

·
Registered
52 Posts
A good driver can drive any car in any conditions, IMO. But my question would be, why bother?

I drove a good few high bhp BMWs on near slicks in the snow in Scotland. Manageable, but you've got to be on your game to keep everything together safely, and Mustangs seem to be far more tail happy than old Beemers.

Personally, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle/stress/effort of a RWD, 600 bhp in snow and ice. Like someone said, get the car then get a winter hack for a couple of months of the year :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
2015 Mustang GT that has FI as a daily driver in Canada...that seems wrong just typing it.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
It's all in the tune. As long as the car has good drivability off idle and at part throttle, driving it in the snow with the supercharger is just like driving it in the snow NA. There's no boost.

I've daily driven my 700rwhp 2011 5.0 through South Florida's torrential downpours, and I grew up in the midwest so I've driven through many blizzards. It's all the same. THROTTLE CONTROL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah so I would just need the tune to be set right and have the boost set low right? reason for this is I only want to have one vehicle I don't even want to have a winter beater just one car year round.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
That's not what I meant. I meant that if the tune is GOOD then the car will be easy to drive at very low throttle angle, regardless of the max boost level. That probably seems obvious, but it's not as common as you'd think.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've driven every Mustang that I have ever owned as a daily driver except the GT500 and my 1970 convertible. I used dedicated snow tires all the way up to the 412hp 2012. Now being a good driver and being able to drive a car with 600-700hp in the snow are two different things. I drove last night in a blizzard with my wife's Fusion and it was a nightmare. If I drove the Shelby last night I would be shopping for a new car even if I had snow tires on it. BTW studded tires are illegal in Massachusetts.

Buying a reasonable, sensible alternative to drive makes more sense. The amount that you would spend on the supercharger conversion and a new set of winter tires and wheels will give you peace of mind if spent on another vehicle, and a 2015 Mustang that won't be damaged by you or the driver that will rear end you. Your project with the winter setup has to be in the neighborhood of $12,000 or more.

Add in the loss that you will take on the trade in, about $5000-6000 and you have about $18,000 to spend on alternative transportation. There are a few guys on the Team Shelby site that tried the winter thing with their GT500. It got old really fast for them even with Blizzaks on them. Don't take advice from those that never drive in these conditions. Be safe. My winter car is a 2001 Mustang V6. It has about 12hp! (Sarcasm)! That's why I took my wife's car last night. I've lived in New England all of my life except for my stint in the Air Force in southern NJ. They would shut everything down if they had one inch of snow on the ground and I would drive my Firebird everywhere at those times. I thought that they were all wimps!

Take it for what it's worth, you can drive a high horsepower car with the proper tires for winter. It will not be enjoyable to drive in the least. I'm sure that the 2014 GT you currently have would be a better daily driver with a dedicated tire set up.

You've been warned!

Pete

·
Registered
334 Posts
in hilly TN the stang doesn't move if any ice. I've walked home due to it..trust me...it sucks. Snow is OK but why..get a used Subaru and park the stang.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Being Canadian here as well, my formula: QUALITY snow tires, eassssy on the throttle, keep safe distances from other cars ( back and front) and take it real easy. Before winter sets in, mine goes up on the hoist and gets a very good low pressure wash to remove any traces of dust, mud, and road grime..... 5 days later ( after it's all perfectly dry) a new coat of rust proofing gets applied.
When COLD conditions gets crazy, I use my truck to get around and the Mustang goes in the garage with Q107 playin tunes for her so she does not get bored! :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a 2014 mustang gt 5.0 but its nearly stock but thinking of trading up to a 2015 mustang gt come summer time. But I do live in Canada and I want to supercharge a 2015 mustang gt do you think with studded winter tires I could drive it in winter with 600 horsepower if I kept my foot out of it and turned the boost way down? ive seen a few guys in Edmonton driving supercharged Camaro ZL1's and they have 580 horsepower.
You can never go wrong with a Whipple. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's not what I meant. I meant that if the tune is GOOD then the car will be easy to drive at very low throttle angle, regardless of the max boost level. That probably seems obvious, but it's not as common as you'd think.
In AB I would say with the length of your winter and cold weather it is just a recipe for disaster and not worth the risk, there will be days you wont be driving, that's a given. If you do go for it get very good snow tires and be safe and slow. But is it worth the risk for the time you will own the car?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts