Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings..just bought a Deaschwerks DW400 and when my GT warms up I can hardly start my car. My mechanic saids it is defective: however, DW tech support claims I need their wiring kit because the fuel pump pulls 16-20 amps. I bought the wiring kit and plan to have my shop install it this Friday. Does anyone have simuular experinces? The u tubers show the DW 400 install but don't mention having to hard wire the DW 400.

·
Super Moderator
2,261 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Super Moderator
7,818 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Texas.

In reply to your question; no. I have no experience with DW400 pumps. What caused you to install one?

According to the web, an in line check valve might be needed for easy starts. So if the wiring harness does not solve the issue, you might need to look at the check valve as a possible issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)

In reply to your question; no. I have no experience with DW400 pumps. What caused you to install one? Down the road I plan to supercharge. I upgraded my coil packs and replaced the OME spark plugs w NGK platums. DW 400 fuel pump rocks when it works- the front end comes up when i sept on it. rear needs wider tires. already stiffing up the chasis BMR and Steeda bushings, k member frames, diff-bracing,DSS shaft, MGW shifter, Roush Level 1 tune, etc..

According to the web, an in line check valve might be needed for easy starts. So if the wiring harness does not solve the issue, you might need to look at the check valve as a possible issue.
DW tech support claims that that the "new" DW 400 has a bulit in check valve. My guy feeling is that this is a rebruish unit sold though a small vendor ie FINg rhut or like FRIES. Even w the GT off for 10-15 minutes it starts up with me milking the gas pedal. So if it heats up something internal might be mess up. If it was pulling to many amps would i blow the fuel pump fuse? Pay pal refunded me the $. So I will try a major ventor this tme like SUM...it. plus w the hardwire kit P...something. Letal P customer service is LETHal.
Just want to say hi too everyone. have major upgrades and plan to do more. one small step at a time. With the aid of this forum and Zander 13.
made in the USA...

·
Super Moderator
7,818 Posts
This is from their own web site. Item #4 below at the bottom of the open link appears to counter the comment the DW tech support who told you that the DW400 has a built-in check valve.

Yes, you would blow a fuse but with todays electronics, even the surge in amps before it blew might cause something else to go wonkers. Glad you got a refund and the best with upgrades.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got off the phone with DW tech support. Their units now have a in-line check valve bulit in. Mention #4. on their description of the DW 400 fuel pump. Tech support sent a note to their marketing dept. to remove the #4 recommendation off their post.
Bought a new DW 400 from Summit. Still waiting for my refund through Pay Pal disputes department for my DW 400 purchase for the defective DW400 from Lethal Performance- customer service is "call DW have a nice day". I was wrong thought they refunded me my $ the other day. Still pending with PayPal disputes dept.
My ASE shop states that if it only gives me problems on warm starts then it is defective. Cold starts no problems. Left my GT there for a full day 11/13/20 for them to check all connections, etc..and to take it out on the road. When the pump kicks in you can fill the difference OEM 140 lpm vs DW 400 415 lpm! 2019 GT has GDI 16 fuel injectors-it rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

In reply to your question; no. I have no experience with DW400 pumps. What caused you to install one?

2019 gt has a gdi engine w 16 fuel injectors
fuel pump oem=130 lpm vs DW 400 415 lpm
Air cold induction rousch level 1
gas upgrade to DW 400
spark= granelli 65k coil packs & NGK platum
better than 6 flags

·
Registered
358 Posts
2019 gt has a gdi engine w 16 fuel injectors
fuel pump oem=130 lpm vs DW 400 415 lpm
Air cold induction rousch level 1
gas upgrade to DW 400
spark= granelli 65k coil packs & NGK platum
better than 6 flags
The Gen 3 Coyote has 16 fuel injectors, but only the port injectors are driven by the electric pump, the direct injectors are fueled by a mechanical fuel pump, driven by one of the cam shafts on the passenger side of the engine,,,,, hence the remote ignition coil, and single spark plug wire on that side. With all that mentioned, the addition of a cold air intake doesn't seem to warrant a new fuel pump, unless you were going with a forced induction system.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
The Gen 3 Coyote has 16 fuel injectors, but only the port injectors are driven by the electric pump, the direct injectors are fueled by a mechanical fuel pump, driven by one of the cam shafts on the passenger side of the engine,,,,, hence the remote ignition coil, and single spark plug wire on that side. With all that mentioned, the addition of a cold air intake doesn't seem to warrant a new fuel pump, unless you were going with a forced induction system.
I plan to supercharge it in a couple of years with a roush supercharge. I already have level 1 tune after pedders xtreme coilovers, sway bars, and wider rims & tires. Upgrades for ....2021.

OME fuel pump was 130 lpm vs dw 400= 415lpm. Granatelli coil pacs 65k vs ome 25k. OME spark plugs were already showing wear. Still notice a difference in acceleration. Ordered new dw 400 through summit. Lethal performance will now be accepting the return of this one that heats up causing gt to hardly start. After disputing it w PayPal.

If the new one warms up then I will have the shop hard wire it. My ASE certified mechanic thinks the fuel pump is defective.

Couldn't find any post on YouTube by anyone with a DW400 pump, who had to hard wire because of similar problems.

American muscle and CJ Pony Parts show installation of the DW400 without hard wire and they have no issues.

Little steps...
For upgrades, force induction is 10k investment wit’s installation. Hopefully by 2023 I can do this.
Ty 4 everyone's advice. Hopefully this will also help others mustang gearheads out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts