Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll delete it if it will garner a smile.

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Ha Ha … Just wanted to try one of the new emoticons. It’s bad news, so I certainly can’t like it.

Locally, the police confiscated 129 cars here two days ago. They are going to cars & coffee events and taking modified cars to the impound.

Also, people who are posting pics/videos of themselves on social media that are racing or showing illegal mods on a registered street cars are having their cars taken as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think if someone has a CARB approved tune it should be fine but it could require a trip to a referee as I read the article.

But for owners that are not compliant to the new regulation it will probably be a headache and some cost.

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
It’ll be a headache for sure. I hope I never have to deal with it. It would be very expensive to UN-Modify my car for said tune.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just noticed you said 129 cars were impounded. At a cars and coffee event. Were they doing Donuts?

See, just a few months ago I aired my concern in another thread about traveling to SoCal and my aftermarket exhaust and now i read this about your area in NC and i have to ask what is going on everywhere. Are all states starting to crack down.

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
I just noticed you said 129 cars were impounded. At a cars and coffee event. Were they doing Donuts?
I don’t think everyone was hooning around, but I‘m no sure how they managed to justify this. It seems unfathomable (or even illegal) to me, but it happened none the less.

It’s starting to worry me. I think around here in NC (we have a really heavy street racing issue), it’s not really checking random drivers minding their own business. It’s more of a crackdown on people/cars who are flouting openly and intentionally drawing attention.

However, once those are thinned out, I’m guessing there will be a sort of relentlessness in pursuit of performance cars. That’s my concern, and I admit it’s a bit alarmist on my part. So far I haven’t actually witnessed anything related to this, but I hear the train tracks rumbling.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On another note, I wonder what Calif will institute for EVs in lieu of smog checks. Stray voltage checks?

You know they won't be satisfied until every car owner is dragged through the wringer.

Reactions: rickyracer1983

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
I’ve wondered about that too. They just won’t leave the lowly common citizens alone. I’m sure they’ll be checking for overvolting, and modified brushless motors and the like. Rest assured, they’ll find a reason to punish people. I hate to see what this will all look like in 10 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve wondered about that too. They just won’t leave the lowly common citizens alone. I’m sure they’ll be checking for overvolting, and modified brushless motors and the like. Rest assured, they’ll find a reason to punish people. I hate to see what this will all look like in 10 years.
The new President is trying to get rid of oil and that includes vehicles that consume oil produce. Calif is trying to do that ASAP so the time schedule is NO oil consumption engines in vehicles by 2035 or maybe sooner. Some are trying to reset the 1975 rules back to 1966. Calif (and properly others) will start increasing tax during registrations base on mileage since people is buying electric or hybrid vehicles,can't depend on oil tax anymore.

If they really want to make a difference go to the Philippines or other part of Asia........ I thought it was fog.... I was wrong.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
Ha Ha … Locally, the police confiscated 129 cars here two days ago. They are going to cars & coffee events and taking modified cars to the impound. . . .
you're joking, exaggerating, being sarcastic . . . . RIGHT?????

I guess it shouldn't surprise me but I didn't know they had really already gone that far

. . . If they really want to make a difference go to the Philippines or other part of Asia........ I thought it was fog.... I was wrong.
I have been to Manila and I know what you are talking about. The air is blue, smells like two-stroke exhaust, and I had a sore throat within a day or two; they tell me that is "normal."

I saw some post somewhere recently that said the top 20 cities for carbon emissions are all in Asia and make up the majority of the CO2 emissions globally (or something like that); I don't remember the exact numbers but it was big. So if we do everything these people want to do; we still won't even make a dent in "climate change" or whatever is the latest buzzword. Apparently there must be some other motivation at work . . .

Reactions: europa

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
you're joking, exaggerating, being sarcastic . . . . RIGHT?????
No, I’m not joking at all. Recently a woman was ran-over and killed here. It wasn’t because of any high-performance cars, it was because of a rolling-disturbance between a couple while driving. Inattention was the culprit, but somehow this sparked off a rabid effort against performance cars. I was shocked, but there it is.

Apparently there must be some other motivation at work
My guess is that the motivation is simply control, and financial gain. I’m not sure how one is achieving the financial gains, but I’m sure it plays a part.

·
Registered
2002 Mustang GT coupe
119 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in California - for many reasons. My state doesn't do emission testing and I don't know if there are any restrictions regarding mods that impact emissions. It's difficult to navigate all the laws and proposed legislation. Anyway, safety and emission testing causes scams to abound, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been to Manila and I know what you are talking about. The air is blue, smells like two-stroke exhaust, and I had a sore throat within a day or two; they tell me that is "normal."

I saw some post somewhere recently that said the top 20 cities for carbon emissions are all in Asia and make up the majority of the CO2 emissions globally (or something like that); I don't remember the exact numbers but it was big. So if we do everything these people want to do; we still won't even make a dent in "climate change" or whatever is the latest buzzword. Apparently there must be some other motivation at work . . .
I don't understand is why don't they do something about it instead of complaining global warming in US states and cities. I had purchased a 94 Cobra Convert in Seattle Washington drove to Calif. try to smog and it pass the sniff test but the cats were not C.A.R.B. approved so it fail Visual. I have seen the 70's, 80's and 90's car are rip apart for parts now because there is no way to pass the testing. Almost everything has to pass both Sniff and Visual testing. I haven't seen a 1970's or 80's Mustang or any other make on the road anymore.

I'm glad I don't live in California - for many reasons. My state doesn't do emission testing and I don't know if there are any restrictions regarding mods that impact emissions. It's difficult to navigate all the laws and proposed legislation. Anyway, safety and emission testing causes scams to abound, in my humble opinion.
You may not live in CA but get ready, Remember our President wants to get rid of oil. There is no stopping something which is being taught to our young we are bad and we have to save the world. There is no stopping the Government which is fix on getting rid of any vehicles especially the ones in which were modified. This is one of the reason most Gov will exempt inspection for the first 8yrs most owners of these vehicles normally mod their vehicles. And most owners just through away the stock parts.... Boy this brings back old memories.

·
Registered
2002 Mustang GT coupe
119 Posts
I don't understand is why don't they do something about it instead of complaining global warming in US states and cities. I had purchased a 94 Cobra Convert in Seattle Washington drove to Calif. try to smog and it pass the sniff test but the cats were not C.A.R.B. approved so it fail Visual. I have seen the 70's, 80's and 90's car are rip apart for parts now because there is no way to pass the testing. Almost everything has to pass both Sniff and Visual testing. I having seen a 1970's or 80's Mustang or any other make on the road anymore.
Agreed. We're not the worst polluters. Anyway, what about classic cars? Are they going to have to be scrapped to meet some kind of political agenda?

You may not live in CA but get ready, Remember our President wants to get rid of oil. There is no stopping something which is being taught to our young we are bad and we have to save the world. There is no stopping the Government which is fix on getting rid of any vehicles especially the ones in which were modified. This is one of the reason most Gov will exempt inspection for the first 8yrs most owners of these vehicles normally mod their vehicles. And most owners just through away the stock parts.... Boy this brings back old memories.
I'm going to avoid political comments but I'll say this: what they want and what they'll be able to realistically achieve are 2 different things. And I'm refuting anything that comes out when it involves what they're trying to teach/brainwash my kids. It could be that all states will do the same thing about federal emissions standards just like they're doing by creating second amendment sanctuary states. I foresee very busy courts.

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Okay guys, this isn’t the place for political discussions. I’ve edited a couple of posts, so be aware. Stick to the topic without using political party references please.

Reactions: europa

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I was told and realized in Calif. the testing applies to 8yr and older has to have a smog inspection for registration To date 2021, Anything from 2013 has to have a smog inspection/certificate plus anything after 2000 will get a sniff testing, Visual (By using a Mirror or camera for places they can't see) inspection applies to all inspections.. This means every year from 1976 to 2013 will have a smog inspection every 2yrs but that may end up to be every year. From 2000 to 2013 all thats needed is to plug into you OBD and Visual, but 1999-1986 plug into you OBD run the speed test Sniff and Visual. From 1985 to 1976 run the speed test Sniff and Visual no OBD system. The years 1985-86 will depend if the vehicles electrical system if the OBD is in place.

During the plug-in and communication to the OBD ECU ROM (Read Only Memory) EROM (Erasable Read Only Memory) Program and if the ROM and EROM has been modified then you fail. The Factory Program is depended on the vehicle, Example if your vehicle is a BOSS then the factory program is different then a GT program.

Not sure when, but due to the loss in $$ revenue of tax in Gas from electric vehicles. All electric vehicles during registration of the vehicle will be plug in to determine how many miles the vehicle has been driven and tax for the amount per miles.

Remember, in today technology the on board computers records everything (almost like a aircraft Black Box) plus the programing is in the OBD/ECU system. Example: Every OBDII and higher the vehicle Vin is in the ROM including the calibration of tire size, rotation and speedt Every New vehicle has GPS and can be tracked by Police and when possible can be shut down if they know your vin Number.

I can go on forever so I just stop here.

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Not sure when, but due to the loss in $$ revenue of tax in Gas from electric vehicles. All electric vehicles during registration of the vehicle will be plug in to determine how many miles the vehicle has been driven and tax for the amount per miles.

This has been a topic in a couple other threads and it is not confined to CA. Other states are imposing EV fees also. You can poke around this web site link for a ton of info on EV junk.

California starts charging EV registration fees up to $175 in July

Texas, where I live has been discussing imposing a $200 to $250 an year fee for EVs with an additional $190 if they travel over 9,000 miles annually. These figures vary slightly depending on who reports on the figures. I just don't know how they will distinguish miles driving in-state vs out of state for taxation purposes. But it looks like it wont matter. One way or the other, people are going to pay to drive their ICE or EV on roads and bridges.

It sure looks like no one will escape the SMOG stations in CA. Whether is to have the vehicle emission inspected or just to check the mileage for EV registration renewal. Whether its a smog check every 2 years for ICE or an annual hook up to verify mileage in an EV, I wonder what they would charge to hook up to the OBD Port ??

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has been a topic in a couple other threads and it is not confined to CA. Other states are imposing EV fees also. You can poke around this web site link for a ton of info on EV junk.

California starts charging EV registration fees up to $175 in July

Texas, where I live has been discussing imposing a $200 to $250 an year fee for EVs with an additional $190 if they travel over 9,000 miles annually. These figures vary slightly depending on who reports on the figures. I just don't know how they will distinguish miles driving in-state vs out of state for taxation purposes. But it looks like it wont matter. One way or the other, people are going to pay to drive their ICE or EV on roads and bridges.

It sure looks like no one will escape the SMOG stations in CA. Whether is to have the vehicle emission inspected or just to check the mileage for EV registration renewal. Whether its a smog check every 2 years for ICE or an annual hook up to verify mileage in an EV, I wonder what they would charge to hook up to the OBD Port ??
Wow, That was fast🚀🚀🚀🚀o_Oo_Oo_O

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think a lot of us just had this discussion recently about the impending doom of gas vehicles.. Europa seems to have a good grasp of everything going on so def props to everything he’s addressing bc I agree with it all.. this is a war/ investment/ conspiracy machine (whatever you want to call it) on pushing out electric cars to replace gas. It’s much bigger than we will be able to control. If you realize that all major car manufacturers are announcing their commitments to electric production, gas prices are going up and up and up, local and state governments are cracking down on these things.. it’s not a coincidence guys. I’m sure I read somewhere that California recently removed the pre-75 smog exemption rule and moved it to pre-66. That’s great for us 1st Gen owners, but it won’t stop there. It’s happening much faster than any legal action can prevent it, so I’d gear up and make sure you figure out the laws to be able to keep your cars on the road…

1 - 20 of 28 Posts