Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford has just announced that the 2022 Coyote engine Mustangs, will have 10 LESS horse power and a torque REDUCTION, they said it was due to the stricter emission standards being imposed.This reminds me of the 1973 years of the performance cars,sad but true.

·
Administrator
4,765 Posts
I wonder if any other muscle/sports cars will be lowering their HP/TQ.

·
Administrator
4,765 Posts
It’s not a good trend, but my guess is that it’s only a change in the tune. It’s not likely you’ll be able to feel the 10 HP/TQ difference, but if you can, and it bothers you, I’m sure you can get it all back and then some with a custom tune.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,434 Posts
On top of the already disappointing news that the Challenger beat the Mustang in sales this year apparently the GT and Mach 1 will have 10 less HP and 10 ft lbs of torque for the 2022 model year. Higher MPG and emissions standards made it so Ford couldn't keep the power levels the same as 2021.
Ford Is Taking Horsepower From The 2022 Mustang V8 To Meet Emission Standards (powernationtv.com)
The only possible good news is that these ever tightening standards will likely affect the other cars in the segment(Challenger and Camaro) and maybe all other vehicles too so hopefully it won't be just the Mustang that gets this hit in power output.

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On top of the already disappointing news that the Challenger beat the Mustang in sales this year apparently the GT and Mach 1 will have 10 less HP and 10 ft lbs of torque for the 2022 model year. Higher MPG and emissions standards made it so Ford couldn't keep the power levels the same as 2021.
Ford Is Taking Horsepower From The 2022 Mustang V8 To Meet Emission Standards (powernationtv.com)
The only possible good news is that these ever tightening standards will likely affect the other cars in the segment(Challenger and Camaro) and maybe all other vehicles too so hopefully it won't be just the Mustang that gets this hit in power output.
So far Corvette is NOT affected and the HP and torque will remain the same, also I believe the GT 500 will not be affected.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,434 Posts
So far Corvette is NOT affected and the HP and torque will remain the same, also I believe the GT 500 will not be affected.
I'm betting that because so few Corvettes and Shelbys are produced a year that no change is necessary to make any difference in the MPG/emissions average for their fleets. Either that or they were creative in engineering a workaround to mitigate the tighter requirements.

·
Super Moderator
3,032 Posts
Likely won't notice, but it can all be corrected with a quick tune. I bet even a tune Ford will offer and it won't void warranty. All speculation, but I could fully see ford offering something like a "track key" like with the Boss 302 as a add on feature... Again just speculation!

Reactions: crjackson

·
Administrator
4,765 Posts
Likely won't notice, but it can all be corrected with a quick tune. I bet even a tune Ford will offer and it won't void warranty. All speculation, but I could fully see ford offering something like a "track key" like with the Boss 302 as a add on feature... Again just speculation!
My thoughts too.

Reactions: MustangLife

·
Headquarters
353 Posts
It's a lot faster to do this anyway. One tune from the computer and the entire powertrain springs back to life

1 - 15 of 15 Posts