Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hey guys and girls.. So tommarro i am buyin some wheels but i cant pick between 18's or 20's what u guys think, the car isnt my daily driver but sometimes i can drive longways but i just cant figure it out what u guys think??

·
Registered
180 Posts
well i suppose some wheels could look good in 20 inch form, but personally i'd keep 20 inch rims away from my mustang or any mustang for that matter. 18's are probably as big as i would go, and i could imagine 20's would rub? not sure about that though. Along with 20's, you'll have to get some low profile tires, real low profile. those can hurt the ride quality pretty badly. So my choice would be 18's, but thats just my input! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
18's are the best all around, 20's will give you a rough ride, JMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think 18s look better. Add to that the better quality ride. AND the handling is probably just as good or better. AND you're less likely to suffer a road hazard impact that will take out the wheel. Etc. My new 2012 Shelby has 19s, and they are pushing the edge of the envelope. Believe it or not, I have begun studying downsizing to 18s (my 2003 svt Cobra had 17s). 20s, in my humble opinion, are too big for ANY car.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
i love my 18's, more tire sizes to choose from, look great, allow Big brake kits if you get the right ones

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I vote 18's. The 20's are heavy, will ride rough and really limit your options on tires. On top of that, they just don't look right

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The 20's are heavy, will ride rough and really limit your options on tires.
My 20x9.5 fronts are 28 lbs and the 20x11 rears are 32 lbs, not heavy. Rough ride? Nothing unbearable or teeth-rattling or I would have bought a Cadillac.

Tire options limited? How many with 18's can fit a tire with a 12-1/2" width underneath without custom widened wheels? Answer: none.

Nice contact patches, all-around performance, stiff sidewalls for cornering prowess, all benefits over 18's. If you want a cushy ride you bought the wrong car to mod.

Sure, straight line traction is lacking but there's not a street tire made that will allow me to hook up, but I have the swaybar relocation kit ($45) that lets me fit 15" wheels for drag radials or slicks when needed for that.

Looks? I've seen some fugly cars on here that make me happy that I've done none of those appearance mods...wheels and tires are not an appearance mod in my book...so they are in the eye of the beholder, most of whom haven't run 20's or even own S197's it seems but opine on these threads anyway...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had 19's before. Felt every stone on the road never mind actually hitting a bump.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Got rid of my 18 for chrome 20s. The look is much improved. Ride quality is a bit harsher but only on the worst roads. Michigan has its fair share of rought roads!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Get 20's they look way better on the 05-current bodystyle cars. Unless you plan on autocrossing your car, etc wouldn't worry with weight one bit.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Get 20's they look way better on the 05-current bodystyle cars. Unless you plan on autocrossing your car, etc wouldn't worry with weight one bit.
I actually think the 20's look a little too big, but that's just preference though

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think 20's look too big also but that is just me. I like the look of the 18's especially if you are lowered. There are so many more tire choices with 18's also. JMHO

Here are a few pics of my staggered 18's.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Like everything in life, opinions will vary. :bigthumbsup
At least this time he said it was an opinion. Read his other post above (which was written as fact) and my retort.

redstangstingu also, staggered he says but can't even tell. Lots of tire choices, all small apparently? Again, see my previous post.

·
Registered
352 Posts
At least this time he said it was an opinion. Read his other post above (which was written as fact) and my retort.

redstangstingu also, staggered he says but can't even tell. Lots of tire choices, all small apparently? Again, see my previous post.
We get it, you like you 20's. Great for you. It's not for everyone.

Mine are staggered 1" with 9" on front and 10" on back. I didn't want to go any wider as I would hit with my car being lowered. My rear tires are almost 11.5" wide so wide enough for me.

Everyone likes different things. Why do some people have to defend their choices like it is life or death. We like what we like. No offense to someone who likes different. That is what makes our country and world go around.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. I am sure you will love it and that is all that matters.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
We get it, you like you 20's. Great for you. It's not for everyone.

Mine are staggered 1" with 9" on front and 10" on back. I didn't want to go any wider as I would hit with my car being lowered. My rear tires are almost 11.5" wide so wide enough for me.

Everyone likes different things. Why do some people have to defend their choices like it is life or death. We like what we like. No offense to someone who likes different. That is what makes our country and world go around.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. I am sure you will love it and that is all that matters.
Didn't mean to offend, that wasn't my intention so I apologize, got carried away from before. I just wanted to clarify false statements put out there by that other poster I replied to who feels the need to chime in on every subject based on what he reads here with no personal experience with anything. You have a very good looking car, BTW.

PS my cars lowered too. Fits 11" wide rear wheels and 315's just fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Didn't mean to offend, that wasn't my intention so I apologize, got carried away from before. I just wanted to clarify false statements put out there by that other poster I replied to who feels the need to chime in on every subject based on what he reads here with no personal experience with anything. You have a very good looking car, BTW.

PS my cars lowered too. Fits 11" wide rear wheels and 315's just fine.
No worries. Sometimes it can be tough on here.

Thanks on the comment about my car. I like it.

It's good to know I can go wider if I want. I was worried about it hitting and also I wanted to stay in the fender well.

Now go out and enjoy your car (that's what I am getting ready to do)!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts