Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am new to the forum, and am looking for some help with my autolite 2100. I am running this carb on my 1972 international scout. 266 cid motor. Due to the way these carbs are made I have found them to be excellent on trails in off camber situations. Anyway. I have rebuilt this carb several times using a rebuild kit for a 289 cid ford motor, but can only get 2 or 3 months out of each rebuild. After a few months the scout will not idle I adjust the idle speed up, and every time I can pull every other plug wire and it will not make a difference in the idle. Only half of the idle circuit is working right. Usually I can turn one of the idle screws in or out all of the way and it will make little or no difference. If I pull it off and clean it good and rebuild it will work fine again for a bit. This truck has been completely rebuilt from the ground up. New rubber fuel lines, new inline filter, so I don't know where if any trash could be getting into the carb. Any help would be great. THanks.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
welcome to the forums!

home!

i see your in crossville, do you know j and L linders? thats my family.

i was just there, ill be back in like 2 months!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upgrade to Fuel Injections man! thats what id do. or buy a brand new carburetor with warranty.
Fuel injection would be nice, and is in the work in the future, but for now I would like to get this one working. I see no reason why it should do what it does. ALso forgot to mention I am running a fuel cell, so no rusty gas tank.

welcome to the forums!

home!

i see your in crossville, do you know j and L linders? thats my family.

i was just there, ill be back in like 2 months!
Thanks for the welcome, no I am not fimiliar with the name.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
if you rebuilt it a few times maybe it needs overhauled.

check out year ones overhaul service my buddy did it they did a good job.
5 week turn around but killer job.

i want to convert my poncho to FI so bad.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If your carb has a bowl vent, or a charcoal cannister, you could be sucking crap up through that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled plugs on cylinders that seem dead and they are wet fouled with gas???? The other plugs look good. abit more carbon than I would like to see, but wipes of with the tip of your finger and the plug looks like new underneath. I was hoping some oldtimer techscould help with this one. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Pulled plugs on cylinders that seem dead and they are wet fouled with gas???? The other plugs look good. abit more carbon than I would like to see, but wipes of with the tip of your finger and the plug looks like new underneath. I was hoping some oldtimer techscould help with this one. :bigthumbsup
Hello, Well I am an oldtimer for sure.
Here is a link to a great site about the carb
Autolite 2100 Carburetor Rebuild

Check it over to see if you missed anything.
Next I would run a filter in the line in addition to the on on the carb.
Lastly I would go one heat range hotter on the plugs.
A hotter plug should help burn the carbon better and last much longer.
Be sure to change just the heat range of the plug.

Just a few ideas from an old BYM....Print Dad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts