Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys , i hope yall doing good.

i wanna put 275 tires (rear) , and 245 (front). the question is what brand should i go with ?
as i hear everyone recommend Nitto which will cost me over $650 , but i got a deal on the new BFG new tires called g-Force Sport and that will cost me almost $600.
the guy at discounttires recommended the new BFG's, but I'd like yall input .

i appreciate it

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
275s on an 8" rim might be a little too much tire. You're going to compromise cornering ability by compressing the sidewalls too much.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the guy who helped me said that the rear tires might wear out faster than it should. like if the life time is 90k it will only last 50-60k . but i dont really care if it gives the car the fat look am looking for. .

·
Registered
446 Posts
i wouldnt do it i would go 255 max on a 8 inch wheel just get wheel spacers for a fat look

·
Registered
413 Posts
go for it ! i havee 275's on my stock 17's !! works just fine !!
looks better and feels better in the straight shot !!!

idk if it wears faster. i have a lead foot and replace tires bout once every 1.5 years n e ways !! LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lets say am going for it , what brand of tires i should go with ? BFG's new ones , or Nitto ?

THark , what u have on ur stang ?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Nitto 555's are a better tire hands down. I definitely wouldn't go with 275's on the stock wheel. Can it be done, yes. Good idea? No. If you like to corner you don't want that wide a tire on 8" wheels. If you want the wide look, get wider wheels, or ZI think there are even a few places that can widen wheels, but I don't know how good of a job they do, and my guess would be not worth it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well THark said its fine , and if they didnt work good I'll get new rims :D .

but if anyone could help me out with pictures of 275 on 17x8 so i can see them first, i would really appreciate that .

·
Registered
165 Posts
i think it looks stupid. to much tire for the rim

·
Registered
413 Posts
hey bro .. i have sumitoma HTR-Z III's ...

some of these are from when i just put them on .. the first ones are from when i lowered my car a week ago !!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thark , I really appreciate it mate . and thanx for yall

now I gotta find me a spot to wear the s**t out off my tiers burning out then go change them :D . videos soon coming , so are pictures

·
Registered
316 Posts
So do it cause someone on the internet said so. Brilliant. Look at all the people telling you no, and THark is the only one telling you yes. The recommended size for a 8" wheel is 245.

If you want fat tires, get wider wheels. You're compromising safety and cornering ability, along with tire wear, and possibility for blowout. This has been discussed time and time again. Will it fit? Sure. Is it 100% safe? No. Hell you could fit a 315 on a 9" wheel if you wanted to, but its the dumbest ******** thing you can do.

Don't compromise; get a wheel that fits the tire you want.

Go to any tire shop, and ask them to put a 275 low profile street tire on a 8" wheel. Make sure you take in the look they give you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So do it cause someone on the internet said so. Brilliant. Look at all the people telling you no, and THark is the only one telling you yes. The recommended size for a 8" wheel is 245.

If you want fat tires, get wider wheels. You're compromising safety and cornering ability, along with tire wear, and possibility for blowout. This has been discussed time and time again. Will it fit? Sure. Is it 100% safe? No. Hell you could fit a 315 on a 9" wheel if you wanted to, but its the dumbest ******** thing you can do.

Don't compromise; get a wheel that fits the tire you want.

Go to any tire shop, and ask them to put a 275 low profile street tire on a 8" wheel. Make sure you take in the look they give you.

BUT at the same time , why NOT do it just cuz ppl are telling you NOT to ?!!? seriosly.. i have eibach pro kit drop on my car.. WITH the 275's and it handles PERFECT on cornering !! so i don't see a problem .. my tires do no wear extensively fast either !! this is the 2nd set of 275's i've had on there and both times i've had a differnt brand ..

BOTH have done just fine .. did i tell him he HAD to do it , no !! just said, if u want to then do it ! nothing wrong with it .. i've been runnin 275's for almost 2 years now and like it BETTER than the 245's that were on it when i bought the car !! and not just for the looks !!

BUT .... ok :) w/e

·
Registered
316 Posts
BUT at the same time , why NOT do it just cuz ppl are telling you NOT to ?!!? seriosly.. i have eibach pro kit drop on my car.. WITH the 275's and it handles PERFECT on cornering !! so i don't see a problem .. my tires do no wear extensively fast either !! this is the 2nd set of 275's i've had on there and both times i've had a differnt brand ..

BOTH have done just fine .. did i tell him he HAD to do it , no !! just said, if u want to then do it ! nothing wrong with it .. i've been runnin 275's for almost 2 years now and like it BETTER than the 245's that were on it when i bought the car !! and not just for the looks !!

BUT .... ok w/e
Jesus, that took me nearly 10 minutes to read. Be considerate and use punctuation where its appropriate.

Your assumption that there is nothing wrong with it just because nothing has happened, is an illogical and retarded statement. "I run my wheels with only 3 lug nuts, nothing has happened yet, must be ok."

And you DID tell him to go for it. Companies that make cars, and make tires, make recommendations for a damn reason. If you don't want to follow guidelines for safety, then fine. But don't try and get other people to do it too.

If you want wide tires, get a wide wheel. Don't half ass it, because if the sidewall rolls too much into a turn, and your tire blows, you're gonna have some serious problems.

WITH the 275's and it handles PERFECT on cornering !! so i don't see a problem .
This demonstrates your knowledge/cornering ability. If you can't feel the difference in corners between the bowing sidewall of a 275 on a 8" wheel, then you aren't cornering hard enough. Cornering performance IS LOST when changing to a taller/bulging sidewall.

I don't care if you don't have any problems with your car, I hope to god one of your tires doesn't blow out. Just don't spread ****** info around, that its "ok" to do it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
@OP: If the reason does not sway your opinion away from running an unsafe tire width, maybe this will. (hopes)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mrsinister, as I said in previous post , am going to put them (not because Thark telling me, other people said it works good too). if they did not give me the way handling should be I will change the rims to 17x9

howeva, what do you recommend for me ? and is the picture represent 275's on 17x8 ?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
go with drag slicks!

Seriously man, the only way to get the "fat" tire look is to be running drag slicks... and they're not street-legal! I checked out Toyos line-up of street legal "drag" tires, and the largest size drag tire they will put on an 8" rim is 245! So, I'd listen to the guys that are saying 255s (or even 245s) max. Even though you may be able to squeeze it on... you will have cornering issues, possibility of tire slipping off the rim, blowouts, short tread-life, etc. Too many problems to be worth the "look", IMO.

Now you asked for recommendations (to create the "fat" look), so I would suggest you get a smaller rim (like 16x7) with a deep dish or concaved rim. The rim will need a smaller offset (even negative) to push the rim outwards and widen the wheel base. Then get the largest tire you can fit on it -- a 255/50ZR16 in this example will get you an overall width of 10"!!! (much wider than stock :D)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
PS - Let me know if you need more info on tire offset... :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
316 Posts
Seriously man, the only way to get the "fat" tire look is to be running drag slicks... and they're not street-legal! I checked out Toyos line-up of street legal "drag" tires, and the largest size drag tire they will put on an 8" rim is 245! So, I'd listen to the guys that are saying 255s (or even 245s) max. Even though you may be able to squeeze it on... you will have cornering issues, possibility of tire slipping off the rim, blowouts, short tread-life, etc. Too many problems to be worth the "look", IMO.

Now you asked for recommendations (to create the "fat" look), so I would suggest you get a smaller rim (like 16x7) with a deep dish or concaved rim. The rim will need a smaller offset (even negative) to push the rim outwards and widen the wheel base. Then get the largest tire you can fit on it -- a 255/50ZR16 in this example will get you an overall width of 10"!!! (much wider than stock )
Haha, "wide" tires are very doable on a new edge. The pic of my car on the first page has 17x9 up front, and 17x10.5 out back. They are all Nitto extreme 555's fronts are 275, and rears are 315. These aren't wide compared to slicks though..... well BIG slicks, that is :)

mrsinister, as I said in previous post , am going to put them (not because Thark telling me, other people said it works good too). if they did not give me the way handling should be I will change the rims to 17x9

howeva, what do you recommend for me ? and is the picture represent 275's on 17x8 ?
275's?! Lmao. No. That pic is of my car, with 315's on the back mounted on 17x10.5" wheels. If you are even thinking of changing wheels, I'd do it now, so that you don't dump money down the drain on tires. READ: Different wheels will need different profile tires to look right.

Since you asked, *I* recommend you buy a new set of wheels if you want wider tires. If you don't have the money for new wheels and tires yet, get some cheap tires for now, and upgrade once you do. A full set of wheels and tires shouldn't cost you more than 1300, and that's with 315's in the back.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Haha, "wide" tires are very doable on a new edge. The pic of my car on the first page has 17x9 up front, and 17x10.5 out back. They are all Nitto extreme 555's fronts are 275, and rears are 315. These aren't wide compared to slicks though..... well BIG slicks, that is :)
Yeah, I know "wide" tires are easily doable: I'm upgrading to 18x8.5" and 18x10s shortly myself... :bigthumbsup I thought the OP was looking to create a "fat" tire look like old school muscle (see pic) -- hence my recommendation.

Since you asked, *I* recommend you buy a new set of wheels if you want wider tires. If you don't have the money for new wheels and tires yet, get some cheap tires for now, and upgrade once you do. A full set of wheels and tires shouldn't cost you more than 1300, and that's with 315's in the back.:bigthumbsup
Agreed! :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.