Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just joined and can't find a whole lot of info about using a 285 wide tire all the way around.

I'm 99% set on getting 285/35/19 Continental DWS 06 all the way around. I'd like to see what it's going to look like installed. Anyone have any good photos of a car with this size tire installed all the way around.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Check the manufacturer's specs to make sure those tires are OK on a 9" wide wheel. I'm pretty sure they are too wide. You won't get any benefit from the added width if you are putting them on wheels that are too narrow.

You can find the specs on Tire Rack or any other place that lists them . . . . look up the tires, then look on the "specs" tab and check the "wheel width"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the manufacturer's specs to make sure those tires are OK on a 9" wide wheel. I'm pretty sure they are too wide. You won't get any benefit from the added width if you are putting them on wheels that are too narrow.

You can find the specs on Tire Rack or any other place that lists them . . . . look up the tires, then look on the "specs" tab and check the "wheel width"
I am aware that the tires will be right on the limit of the recommended wheel width.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got 285s(285/35/19) all the way on mine (2015 GT) it looks really good and flush, i also have the Eibach Sport Lines. I will try to post a pic soon. one thing worth notinh i have 19x9.5 wheels on all 4 as well.

Reactions: Oxford2014

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
the side walls will bulge a lot. 9.5 is the narrowest I would go with a wheel for that size tire.

I have 285/35-19 front and 295/35-19 rear on 19x10's

·
Registered
254 Posts
275/40 is your biggest tire. You are unlikely to find a tire manufacturer that will list a 9" wheel for a 285/35 tire. You also won't find any reputable tire shops that will put a 285/35 on a a 9" wheel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just had very similar question. I needed to replace my stock tires 2014 - track pack - with 9 inch "brembo; wheels. I thought it would look cool to get 275s in the back and stay with 255s in front. The Ford dealer had no problem with this but I finally decided to go with 255s all around. Literally just came back from having them installed.

I think if went wider or staggered, I would probably get wider wheels in the back. Some nice packages out there. Unfortunately, not a lot of choices if you have "brembo brake" package and want to keep the very nice 9" wheels. Just my personal opinion and experience - FWIW. Of course, not saying 275s or 285s would not "fit" the 9" wheels.

Lots of post about this and various opinions but I didn't think I would get any benefit from 275s in back - other than looks. Just depends on your appetite and preference.

Happy with my decision - only thing that should matter. But all feedback here was helpful and much appreciated. Good luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely not. 285s belong on a 10" wheel. 9.5 minimum, but I'd put them on a 10. 245-255 are the best sizes for your stock wheels.
Just because it "fits" doesn't mean it's right. You aren't getting extra grip by squeezing a big tire onto a smaller wheel. The outer edges will curve away from the road and you're just paying for useless tread at that point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 285/35/R19 Continental Extreme tires all the way around on stock 19x9 (Brembo upgrade) wheels. The extra 1/4" rubber on each side isn't noticeable on the wheel at all and looks like it was made for it.

It works just fine, looks like you want it to, and is almost identical to stock tire ratio which keeps everything working like you want it.

If you drive a track car, you shouldn't put these tires on your stock wheels. If you drive like you are an Extra on the next Fast and Furious...ok, I'll accept that you may put undue stress on your tires in cornering and you might be able to feel the sidewall deflection, maybe.

Otherwise, if you drive in a 'spirited' manner on occasion as I do...put them on and enjoy it.

Another thread about this with pictures:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-brake-package-19-x-9-rim-285-35-19-tire.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
i've got 285 Bridgestone RE71R on the 9" brembo wheels.
They don't really fit, but it was the rolling diamter i needed, and I autox the car in stock class, so compromises sometimes need to be made. I also air them upto 38psi to keep them from rolloing over the sidewall.
reccomended size is 9.5" minimum

for street, i woudlnt bother with 285.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 285/35/R19 Continental Extreme tires all the way around on stock 19x9 (Brembo upgrade) wheels. The extra 1/4" rubber on each side isn't noticeable on the wheel at all and looks like it was made for it.

It works just fine, looks like you want it to, and is almost identical to stock tire ratio which keeps everything working like you want it.

If you drive a track car, you shouldn't put these tires on your stock wheels. If you drive like you are an Extra on the next Fast and Furious...ok, I'll accept that you may put undue stress on your tires in cornering and you might be able to feel the sidewall deflection, maybe.

Otherwise, if you drive in a 'spirited' manner on occasion as I do...put them on and enjoy it.

Another thread about this with pictures:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-brake-package-19-x-9-rim-285-35-19-tire.html
Thanks for understanding. I am mostly after the look. I found a few images with the RE11's installed in that size and they look amazing.

On another note, I'm going to purchase the Continental DWS 06. Is that the tire you are running? Even if they aren't the same, how do you like them?

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i've got 285 Bridgestone RE71R on the 9" brembo wheels.
They don't really fit, but it was the rolling diamter i needed, and I autox the car in stock class, so compromises sometimes need to be made. I also air them upto 38psi to keep them from rolloing over the sidewall.
reccomended size is 9.5" minimum

for street, i woudlnt bother with 285.
With that much pressure do they actually hook up?

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
275/40 is your biggest tire.
I think you posted elsewhere that these are what you run with in a square configuration on your car.

I only buy Pilot Super Sports. Are there any negative aspects to running this size on my Track-Pack wheels (As compared to the 255/40's)?

I've replaced my factory tires on the wife's car with the PSS 255/40's and like them, but now I'm considering the 275/40's for mine.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think you posted elsewhere that these are what you run with in a square configuration on your car.

I only buy Pilot Super Sports. Are there any negative aspects to running this size on my Track-Pack wheels (As compared to the 255/40's)?

I've replaced my factory tires on the wife's car with the PSS 255/40's and like them, but now I'm considering the 275/40's for mine.
You'll have some tread on either side of the tire that never touches the ground. You might (but probably won't) notice a little more sidewall slop. Almost like a very slight delay to your steering wheel inputs. Really the only major con is you're paying a lot more for bigger tires that don't provide much extra grip over the 255's on that size wheel.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Yes I run 275/40/19's Pilot Super Sports all around. I love them!

I am lowered with Steeda sport springs (1.2" to 1.5" drop) There are no rubbing issues or anything. They feel way better than than the P Zero's that came off the car. The extra .7" of overall height also makes them fill up the wheel well better and give the car a much more muscular look.

As far as negatives...They are expensive.

Some people will say that the larger side wall and running the minimum width wheel for that size tire will cause sidewall flex vs the 255/40's. Unless you are auto crossing the car you would not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You'll have some tread on either side of the tire that never touches the ground. You might (but probably won't) notice a little more sidewall slop. Almost like a very slight delay to your steering wheel inputs. Really the only major con is you're paying a lot more for bigger tires that don't provide much extra grip over the 255's on that size wheel.

You do lose a little contact patch but only a very very tiny amount.

All of this is based on Michelin's measurements for Pilot Super Sports.

275/40/19's on a 9.5" wheel and the section width is 10.9 as measured. There recommended range is 9-11". For every .5" change in wheel width the section width change is 2/10". That means the 10.9" section width becomes 10.7

A 255/40/19 on a 9" wheel has a section width of 10.2"

10.7 - 10.2 = .5" wider.

275 - 255 = 20mm = .7" wider.

Basically your paying for .7" more width and getting .5" more width.

You get more tread on the ground and they look better :)

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Great info. thanks...

·
Registered
73 Posts
With that much pressure do they actually hook up?
well for rear tires i lower them a bit to 35. my rear shocks are softer than the front to try and get the rear to hook otherwise its sideways all the time.

i tried lower pressure, but it was slower. too much flopping around

1 - 20 of 26 Posts