Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a nitrous destory a stock 289 or automatic transmission. I'm looking to put a kit in my 1967 coupe. I'm worried about damaging the engine. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Tyler

·
Registered
148 Posts
DONT a stock 289 will not handle nitrous for very long, you'll scatter the engine all over the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not completely stock. I belive the block was replaced in the late 80's or early 90's. I.went to buy spark plugs and they said it was not the original block. I think they said it could be a Windsor block.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To be nitrous ready you need forged pistons, heads, etc. You could maybe get by with a little shot but not worth the money. Nitrous puts a real big strain on the motor to do more than its built to and you will definitely tear it up beyound repair if you get to juicing it without rebuilding it first with that intention in mind.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have a compete stock engine meaning: cast pistons and cast crank and stock rods you can run up to a 100hp shot (NOS sportsman)plate system NO PROBLEM. If you want to go with a bigger shot of juice you will need to do the following:

1. install forged pistons
2. install forged crank
3. new rods
4. rebuild heads and magnaflux for any cracks etc.

Nitrous is a lot of fun and some say cheap HP and is, You just can't go crazy until you have the correct equip. I have run up to a 450HP fogger system on my 65 302 (what a blast! no pun intended) but.... I built it for that! You must keep a nitrous rule in mind. "7 parts gas to 1 part nitrous" If you go more your fun will be short lived! Engines run better on gas than alluminum!:bigthumbsup
HTH

·
Registered
149 Posts
I forgot to mention that for 100HP shot you will need to be able to retard your timing 2 degrees (via MSD system)and premium fuel is a must. You might even have to upgrade your fuel delivery system (ie fuel pump,& regulator)as a minimun fuel of 5 PSI is needed when you engage the juice and only engage at WOT other wise the cast pistons will not be able to handle the shock.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can make much more power N/A than you would ever need in that 289. Even if you did use a 100hp shot i doubt that c4 tranny and that rear end you got are ready to take that strain either. Those would probably go out only in the long run, but its just not worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts