Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone know if there are some good write ups on replacing 289 clinder heads with new aftermarket heads? is it as easy as it seems?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't know of any write ups but it is not to difficult. You have to remove the air cleaner then unhook everything from the carb and intake which includes the top radiator hose, a heater hose, fuel line and throttle linkage. Then you take off the valve covers and manifolds/headers. Unbolt the intake and lift the intake out with the carb still attached. Then unbolt the heads. You will need new head gaskets and new intake gaskets. I think thats about everything.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm not sure of the torque specs on the 289, but don't forget that. it's very simple to do though. You can get a Haynes manual at any parts store.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the average joe like myself, I dont like to take my car to any mechanic no matter what, I work in the car buisness so im blessed to know people in every category imaginable when it comes to cars. I do (with help or knowledge) most of the mechanical work on my car and thats how I like it.

For example im currently replacing my head gaskets on my car, this was the first time getting to know the internal parts of my motor so In a way when my gaskets gave out I was inthused about taking my heads apart. The tear down is the easy part its the getting everything right when you put it back thats the hard part, if you dont know about sequence and torque well then you could very well be in troube as you will need to adjust bots and nuts to specifications in order for the engine to perform correctly.

This fourm I find very help full and there are a ton of people on here who without hesitation are willing to inform you of anything your working on in order to acomplish what you desire.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help...does anyone know the sequence and torque specs for aluminum heads? that would be a huge help but other than that the installation seems pretty straightforward

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Whenever you buy something that requires torque specs, it should come with instructions that give you the torques. But usually, you work in three stages, starting off with about half the torque and working your way up. The order starts from the center and works its way outwards, alternating sides to keep things even. Check out the instructions or the haynes manual in case I'm wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts