Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to find the date code for my 289. i pulled it in favor of a 421 stroker and im gonna sell it complete and all orignal for someone that wants to keep there car and motor in the same dates but i got to figure out the year the engine is. where do i find the numbers?

·
Registered
186 Posts
They should be right above the starter mounting area
I don't have the decode program on my computer but it can be found online

·
Registered
430 Posts
i need to find the date code for my 289. i pulled it in favor of a 421 stroker and im gonna sell it complete and all orignal for someone that wants to keep there car and motor in the same dates but i got to figure out the year the engine is. where do i find the numbers?

Look on the side of the block around (behind) the starter area. You should see 2 sets of codes cast into the block. The larger code will tell you what year the block is and what it was installed in initially, AND, if it is an original part or not. The smaller code is the date the block was cast at the foundry. Here is a couple dummy codes as an example. This one I made up is actually a 1966 mustang code with an original 289 block built on March 3, 1966. 6C2 is your smaller code on top
C6ZE-6015-A. is code underneath

6C2 is March 2, 1966. The larger code breaks down as follows:

The first digit "C" stands for decade. In this case 1960-69.

The second digit "6" indicates year of decade. In this case 1966.

The third digit "Z" indicates car line. In this case "Z" is code for mustang. (you could also have an "A" code for Ford)

The fourth digit "E" is code for "engine group" or "engineering group".

The next set of numbers 6015 is code for engine block.

The suffix letter "A" at the end indicates an original part. If ford revised the part one time then that particular part would carry the letter "B" at the end instead of the letter "A". If it was a second revision by Ford, then the letter "C" would be used at the end , and so on. Ford also used double letters in the early 70's on some of their heads as a learning curve with emissions.....like AA or AB

Date codes can be found 2 ways in Ford castings. When the four character date code is cast into the piece, this indicates when it was cast at the foundry. When it is stamped into the piece this indicates the date of manufacture.

The manufacture date is stamped up front (NOT CAST) on the 289 block. With this information, now you can tell if the heads have ever been swapped out. If the head dates don't match the block date, not hard to tell. Take your time.

You can even tell the foundry where the block was cast. "DIF" is code for Dearborn Iron Foundry. "WF" or "WIF" indicates Windsor Iron Foundry. A "C" circled around an "F" indicates the Cleveland Iron Foundry.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The assembly date for the 289 engine is stamped, not cast. The foundry couldn't possibly know when the parts they were pouring would actually be used. On a flat spot in the block casting in front of the left head you will find a code such as 7A6 > 6 January 1967. There may be another letter appended for an inspector's code which is not part of the date. Various other parts of the engine will have similar stamped date codes. Although the cast numbers may tell you what model year it was from, it is the stamped codes that give the best indication of when an engine was built.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you everyone for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.