Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I konw I just posted but I thought you might be able to help me in some math. Looking for a gestimate on the horsepower output of my 289. Listed parts are:
1) Edelbrock Performer 289 intake
2) Edelbrock Performer Plus cam Duration at .005" Intake:270 EXH:280
3) Edelbrock performer Alum. Heads Intake:1.90" Exh:1.60" Comb ch:58cc
4) Holley 4150 600cfm 4 barrel carb.
5) Flowtech longtube headers 3" collector
6) Pypes crossover dual exhaust

Just lookin for an estimate but my 1967 289 is a "C" coded engine rated by Ford at 200 bhp. I just was curious if I am close to my mark of between 285-310 hp. I am trying to avoid any boring or crank changing.

You guys are always a big help. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where did you get Performer heads with 58 cc chambers? Edelbrock advised that I would need to mill the heads to get there...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the heads off of Summit racing after finding the model number from the Edelbrock main site. The model shows that the heads I purchased are for 1967-68 289 engines that have basically stock bottoms. Shows 58cc-60cc combustion chambers.

No it doesn't even hardly break the tires loose on take off! I haven't run the heads yet though. I am still in the process of installing the heads.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Keep in mind that the horse power output of the engine and the power getting to the wheels can be VERY different.

·
Registered
394 Posts
kool that makes me think that i have something good in my motor lol no offense to yours, maby ill check if the heads are a special brand or something. idk... when the wheels are hot on mine w/ single traction i can lift the front end off my car i never pushed it to its limits cause my dad wouldn't let me in fact as soon as it got just half a foot off the ground my dad told me to take it off the gas lol.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'd say you're probably making about 315-330 hp with the heads. Maybe a little more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Try to find a dyno when you are through. I have the same setup except for exhaust and get 180 hp at the rear wheels which should be around 225 at the flywheel. It will break both tire loose nicely with a 3:55 posi at the back. I would love to know how much the heads will add to the combo.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I ordered the heads off of Summit racing after finding the model number from the Edelbrock main site. The model shows that the heads I purchased are for 1967-68 289 engines that have basically stock bottoms. Shows 58cc-60cc combustion chambers.

No it doesn't even hardly break the tires loose on take off! I haven't run the heads yet though. I am still in the process of installing the heads.
What do you have for a torque converter and gears? And i assume the duration numbers you gave before were advertised and not at .050 even though you said .050.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I said at .005", but at .050" lift the int.: 204 Exh:214
As far as the gears they are stock, and I haven't looked into a torque converter yet. What should I get? A 2000 stall or something higher?

·
Registered
85 Posts
if your looking to make it a nice street car like it sounds you are id go for a 3000 to 3400. Id get a new rear end first tho

·
Registered
298 Posts
if your looking to make it a nice street car like it sounds you are id go for a 3000 to 3400. Id get a new rear end first tho
I disagree, Thats way to high for a good streetable car. go for around 2000-2200 max.

·
Registered
810 Posts
While you can have a good street car with a 3500 stall (I know because I have one) putting a 3k plus stall on a motor build that doesn't need a 3k stall is just plain silly. You will significantly restrict the power band on the car. With an advertised power band from 1500-6500 a 2k stall (maybe as far as 2500 advertised stall since they usually end up stalling a little lower in my experience) is more than sufficient if you have paired up matching components. You may run into a little too low of compression though and need to deck the block or shave the heads to bring it back up some. Unless you are planning a forced induction power adder in the future I would personally try to get it to 10:1 or maybe a little more.

The stock 2.80 pegleg it sounds like you have in the rear is limited you, I think the stock stall in the c4 would be fine for now and you should add a 3.25 in the back first ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a 68 mustang w/289 that i would like to know the hp. also. mine was bored .30 with flats,with 65' heads shaved and ported,voodoo cam(485/500 lift) rated from 1500-5500, edelbrock perf.rpm intake,holly 600,c-4 tranny w/stock rear.

·
Registered
810 Posts
i have a 68 mustang w/289 that i would like to know the hp. also. mine was bored .30 with flats,with 65' heads shaved and ported,voodoo cam(485/500 lift) rated from 1500-5500, edelbrock perf.rpm intake,holly 600,c-4 tranny w/stock rear.
175 at the back tire :nogrinner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.