Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we were going to try and make the 289 me and my grandad work for right now. We took it to one of our good friends who is a machanic and he looked it over and told us some bad news. He said either a rebuild or new motor. My grandad would like to go fuel injected and I wouldnt mind either but I dont think we would have close to enough money for that. So what should we do? I would love to go bigger motor but dont know how big we could go in the car? How good does a 351 fit in there ( 65 coupe )? Also where is the best place to either find good used motors or new motors? We dont want to spend 10 grand on a new motor either though. So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Kevin Mabe

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I believe you can take the fuel injection only off a fox body and use it but im not 100% on that.On a 64-66 mustang a 351w and 351c fit but there a tight fit.Id go to the local tracks close to you ask the drivers who builds there engines and use a local guy.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The 351w will be an easier fit as the 260/289/302 engines are Windsors too. The 351 Cleveland is a bigger motor as all Cleveland family motors and would be much tighter between shock towers. Ford didn't offer the 390 from the Thunderbird until the 67 Mustang model year when they made the engine compartment 2" wider for more clearance.

Don't toss/junk the 289 block. They are not available anymore and there are people out there looking for them. Advertise it on here and other sites dealing with older Mustangs/Fords. I've seen complete 289s going for $200-300 depending on the codes (C or A, I'm not talking Ks). Complete is the whole motor, heads and intake too.

Keep in mind that the 289 is basically the same as a 302 and almost anything that can be done to a 302 could be done to a 289.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The 351w will be an easier fit as the 260/289/302 engines are Windsors too. The 351 Cleveland is a bigger motor as all Cleveland family motors and would be much tighter between shock towers. Ford didn't offer the 390 from the Thunderbird until the 67 Mustang model year when they made the engine compartment 2" wider for more clearance.

Don't toss/junk the 289 block. They are not available anymore and there are people out there looking for them. Advertise it on here and other sites dealing with older Mustangs/Fords. I've seen complete 289s going for $200-300 depending on the codes (C or A, I'm not talking Ks). Complete is the whole motor, heads and intake too.

Keep in mind that the 289 is basically the same as a 302 and almost anything that can be done to a 302 could be done to a 289.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just got done talkin with my grandad and he wants to find a fuel injected 302. We figure it would be best to buy the whole car get everything we need out of it and the part the car out. Here is the deal though what is the best year model to look for? Yall said a fox body is what i need to look for? Im not real sure what your talkin about im not to keen on this kind of stuff. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.