Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 289 with E6 heads on it. I just put an alluminum 4 BBL Ford intake on it withand Edelbrock 1406 carb. I was told that the motor has a mild cam. What is a guideline for park idle speed and drive idle spped.... where should the rpm range be...

In addition to this idle concern, my oil pressure has recently dropped from idle around 50 under load around 55-60, all the way down to 25 idle almost 50 under load?

I just checked the bearings a little bit ago and my clearances where all with in the nrom so i dont know why it dropped with an intake and carb swap.

any insight would help....

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
What weight oil are you running, these engines were designed for 10W-30 to 10W-40, but at normal operating temperatures, these are as thin as water. In the summer time you can run a straight weight 30w, then run the others in winter. Without knowing the cam specs, you can only try to set it at one speed and see how it works, if you have problems you may have to raise the idle speed or lower it. Stock idle speed is aroung 550 rpm in gear, with your cam it may not like being that low, but the problem is the reduced manifold vacuum from the cam will make the automatic transmission think it is under a load and will apply more pressure, if you have a manual transmission then it is not a problem, in that case I would shoot for around 750 rpm and maybe a little higher if you are still having problems. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts