Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an original cast iron intake, autolite 4100 carb and R&R the dist. I got the car running with an initial timing of 8 degrees. When I apply throttle the carb pops and backfires. Am I off one tooth on the dist? or should I look at additional items. Thanks for the help

Steve
1966 GT FB

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you got it timed to 8 degrees, the distributor is probably OK position wise. As long as the rotor is lined up with the #1 plug wire when at TDC for #1 you are fine. Mostly, being off a tooth will limit the range you can time the engine in. Now, if you are using the harmonic balancer to time by, you could check to make sure it hasn't slipped. Turn the engine for TDC on #1 and look to see that the pointer is lined up with 0 degrees. From what you describe though, I would double check the firing order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joel, Thanks for the reply. I can barely keep it running at 8 degree. It will idle roughly at 10-12. I have been through TDC until I was blue in the face, but I am going to check again(had the valve cover off too!) I'll check the firing order. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
Joel, Thanks for the reply. I can barely keep it running at 8 degree. It will idle roughly at 10-12. I have been through TDC until I was blue in the face, but I am going to check again(had the valve cover off too!) I'll check the firing order. Thanks Steve
Yeah, I got screwed up with that because im used to chevy's... :D

Did a tune up, and mistook which cylinder was number 1, and the rest is history. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that...The engine was rebuilt 11 years ago. I called the shop that did the work and they do not have the build sheet. They indicated that they usually do not use the early 15426378 order and use 13726548 with most likely a windsor cam. I have the firing order at 137... I am going to try the 154...tomorrow night. My only thoughts are dist off a tooth or fire order. Thanks again. These are the times I wish my father was still living. As he said"Two heads are better than one" Thanks much! Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update 289 timing

Thanks for everyones help. :worshipRewired to the 154... firing order and car is running great. Just need to re-time and test run. Thank you all for the input. Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts