Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 289 v8 and i wanna know what kind of cam i should get for a 3.55 gear! whats a good brand of cam that isnt that expensive! please help!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Manual or Automatic? What kind of heads and intake do you have? Do you know what your current compression ratio is? Comp Cams, Edelbrock, Crane, Isky, they all make great camshafts. PAW has their own grind as well and I've used them in budget builds with no trouble at all. PAW is Performance Automotive Warehouse and they're cams are really inexpensive.

·
Registered
249 Posts
comp cam 270 is biggest comp you can have w/out changing valve train. i run a lunati voodoo and wouldnt run anything else

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm using a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy flat tappet camshaft with their complete valvetrain and bigger valves, along with an Edelbrock carb and intake. With a good set of headers, I could probably get 320 hp at the flywheel

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a automatic. the heads are stock! the intake manifold i put in is edelbrock! and i dont know my compression ratio. yea and would the 3.55 gear have the same affect with having the stock cams! or should i just buy new cams! ohh and its a 66 mustang

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You probably have an ~8:1 compression ratio By the way, I'm using forged flat-top pistons, which would be about a 10:1 comp.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so are the comp cams extreme energy flat tappet camshaft really work for you then! how much did both of them cost u!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Pick a company and call them, most have very helpful service/tech reps and the'll get you just want your looking for.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm going to assume you're running a stock transmission and stock torque converter. If that's the case and we're looking at the Comp Cams line I'd suggest the Comp Cams XE262H. It should would well with your combination. Here's a link and you keep mentioning cam(s), plural, your engine only has 1 camshaft. It's located in the center of the block. Well here's the link for Summit
COMP Cams CL31-238-3 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits - summitracing.com
I'd also suggest swapping the timing chain while you're in there. It's a good little bit of insurance. Here's a link with the Timing chain included:
COMP Cams SK31-238-3 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits - summitracing.com

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
so are the comp cams extreme energy flat tappet camshaft really work for you then! how much did both of them cost u!
The full kit cost about $350, the intake and carb were about $400, and I think I have 2.12" intake and 1.54" exhaust valves. Whatever the biggest valves that can be fit in a 289 head are. The best I've ran is a 15.4 at 88 mph. However, I was ahead of an '01 Cobra for the first 300 ft. I don't think I have enough gears in my transmission, or enough rear gear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so are those cams for performance! wil i feel a differnece! its cause i want to get a 3.55 gear after i get the cams! ieatdirt im thinking of getting the timing chain now that you mentioned it!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yeah, those are the high-performance street cams. With a good 4v carb and intake, you could expect a gain of 60 hp. With your stock heads, power should be right off of idle, too. I've got a 750 cfm carb and ported heads so power comes in strongest after 3,000 rpm.

·
Registered
249 Posts
sorry guys, i just realized i am running a lunati master bracket ii, not a voodoo. I had a bad experience w/ comp. that is why i turned to lunati. i got a 270 for my 429 in my mud truck and they ground the dang thing wrong! that was a giant headache. now i am a lunati faithful. i strongly suggest into checking them out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.