Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 289 v8 out of my 1966 coupe. I just pulled it out this weekend and stripped it down to just the block, pistons, rods & crankshaft. From what I'm seeing, I'm gonna need a full short block rebuild -- honing/boring, hot tanking, decking, all new bearings, new piston heads, etc.

I know machine work differs depending on location, so I called a few places near me. The one shop that returned my call so far quoted a price of between $1000 and $1500. Does this sound reasonable for the work needed?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
that sounds like a fair and reasonable price. Machining has come to be so expensive anymore it's barely worth it to get a block machined when a remanufactured long block with warranty can be purchased for a lesser price.

At any rate, just a valve job on a set of my 351 heads alone, in IOWA nonethless (everything is cheap here) was $600.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm like 2 states over from you (Maryland) and that seems high to me.

I was just quoted a price of $550.00 to do my 289 block. Everything as you stated except for no decking.

Also, would cost me $280.00 to do a 3 angle valve job & resurface on both heads. Of course if no guides or valves are needed.

I'd look around for some more quotes.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
$1500 would be our local price if you do the labor of putting it back together. Assembly is actually pretty cheap ($200?) except I don't have the capability of hauling an assembled engine home from the shop.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the shop i called said between 1000 and 1500 depending on if it needs to be just honed or actually bored out and if i want steel pistons or forged ones.

thats another question: my 66 is gonna have 320ish hp and its a street car. are forged pistons worth it?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
...depending...if i want steel pistons or forged ones.
After W. O. Bentley invented aluminum pistons for aircraft engines in the 20s nearly all engines use aluminum pistons. Your choice is cast or forged but they are both aluminum.

If you are doing a complete overhaul it would not be smart and a big waste of time and money to reuse your old pistons. You old ones have ring land wear if nothing else. A cast Al piston cost about $15 why screw around with anything else.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I'll probably just go with regular cast pistons since its a street car and under 400hp. Forged pistons seem to be more preferred for dedicated race/performance cars or in high-rpm situations. And it seems they have some kind of break-in period??

So cast pistons it is. Can't wait to get this machine work done and get to work on the reassembly!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Choice of machine shop is a critical one. In my experience many lack the aptitude, equipment, or both to properly prepare performance engine components. Choose wisely and carefully.

Funnel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts